Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

:D Nice, just wanted to have a visual confirmation that all is there as intended, hehehe, did you notice the voltage slider? Use with care.

Cheers!

Hi,

My update went fine too (just flashed the latest, corrected v2.04 modded BIOS).

However, similar to another user a few pages back, I cannot flash version 80.07.9D.00.11 on my ultrabay GT750M card, using the latest nvflash utilities (either DOS or Windows).

It keeps saying 'ERROR: PCI Block corrupted - size mismatch'

The previous version 80.07.95.00.17 flashes just fine.

Seems quite weird to me, but not really a problem as the ultrabay card is functioning fine as it is (MODIFIED).

Greetings,

Auke

:D Nice, just wanted to have a visual confirmation that all is there as intended, hehehe, did you notice the voltage slider? Use with care.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Oh wow, so software overvolting can be done with the 2.04 BIOS? I'll flash it right away :P.

I can flash 2.04 from a modded 2.02 bios as long as I use the stock/official 2.02 backup to create the rom, right? Also, is this for 650m users?

***EDIT***

I can confirm that it works. Used the automated tool on the first page to flash the official bios version, then upgraded to 2.04 using the included mod tool. I can also confirm that you can use software to change the voltage! Awesome stuff svl7!

Nice work svl7!

So is the addition of software voltage control the only difference between the 2.04 mod and previous versions, or are there other changes? How would someone with SLI unlock voltage control on the second GPU?

Now I'm just waiting for some overzealous individual turn the voltage slider to maximum and blow up their laptop LOL. As our favorite web-slinger used to say, with great power comes great responsibility​. :)

Also, for those who've already flashed, did you upgrade to 2.04 directly from 2.02 modded or did you have to flash back to 2.02 official first using either your backup or the leaked InsydeFlash? Did upgrading to 2.04 also update the EC version to 2.04, or is it still at 2.02? Is there any harm to having mismatched BIOS version and EC version?

Nice work svl7!

So is the addition of software voltage control the only difference between the 2.04 mod and previous versions, or are there other changes? How would someone with SLI unlock voltage control on the second GPU?

Now I'm just waiting for some overzealous individual turn the voltage slider to maximum and blow up their laptop LOL. As our favorite web-slinger used to say, with great power comes great responsibility​. :)

Also, for those who've already flashed, did you upgrade to 2.04 directly from 2.02 modded or did you have to flash back to 2.02 official first using either your backup or the leaked InsydeFlash? Did upgrading to 2.04 also update the EC version to 2.04, or is it still at 2.02? Is there any harm to having mismatched BIOS version and EC version?

I flashed to the official 2.02 version using the easy flash tool included with the 2.02 file linked on the first page, then to 2.04 from that.

And as far as blowing up the laptop is concerned, nvidia inspector and .bat files are a bit clunky to use, but it seems that there's a real cap on the voltage level in the slider, and in what the system will allow th gpu to run at. Setting it above 1.15 volts results in the gpu being knocked down to 1.15v when on full load, no matter what. I'd attempt to see if there's a way to get around that limit, but messing with inspector and .bat files too much seems to result in the core cluck going up without the voltage increasing, rapidly sending the gpu into "good night" mode :P. I can't use msi afterburner to change the voltage either.

Nice work svl7!

You can extract the VBIOS from the BIOS using Phoenix Tool. The VBIOS is 152-159KB in size.

Flash the extracted VBIOS ;) Works flawlessly for me :)

If you want I can just upload them for you.

I know 1.15v is a limit I reported before on my VBIOS mods. I am still looking to fix that.

Actually, I did some more fiddling arounf with .bat files, and now I can get the voltage to go up to 1.2v, constant P0 state. It absolutely will not go any higher than that using .bat files. Maybe the slider will let you inch it up a bit more... I dunno. I can only get the overclocks to work correctly when I use either the .bat or the sliders in nvidia inspector. Touching both of them always causes problems, lol.

You mean to flash the ultrabay card?

You can extract the VBIOS from the BIOS using Phoenix Tool. The VBIOS is 152-159KB in size.

Flash the extracted VBIOS ;) Works flawlessly for me :)

If you want I can just upload them for you.

Hello threadnaught! And well uh. It appears I can't hit enter to start a new paragraph. OH WELL! I'm new to the forums and this is gonna look weird without any formatting so I'll try to keep it short and sweet. I have a Y500 with a single 650M and I'm interested in unlocking the BIOS for OC'ing or replacing this poop non dual band wireless card. I'm ALSO interested in getting a 650M Ultrabay, but I'm not even sure where to get those anymore. Quick question though. I've got Windows 7 installed on this Y500. Windows 8 is fine by me, but the guy I bought the laptop from disagreed haha. I noticed that in the instructions for flashing the BIOS, you mention that it contains the Windows 8 licenses, key, etc. I'm thinking this should still stay the same for Windows 7? It's a legitimate copy, and I'm just wondering if I can still used the BIOS files even with Windows 7. Thank you for any advice. Apologies for the Berlin wall of text.

Hello threadnaught! And well uh. It appears I can't hit enter to start a new paragraph. OH WELL! I'm new to the forums and this is gonna look weird without any formatting so I'll try to keep it short and sweet. I have a Y500 with a single 650M and I'm interested in unlocking the BIOS for OC'ing or replacing this poop non dual band wireless card. I'm ALSO interested in getting a 650M Ultrabay, but I'm not even sure where to get those anymore. Quick question though. I've got Windows 7 installed on this Y500. Windows 8 is fine by me, but the guy I bought the laptop from disagreed haha. I noticed that in the instructions for flashing the BIOS, you mention that it contains the Windows 8 licenses, key, etc. I'm thinking this should still stay the same for Windows 7? It's a legitimate copy, and I'm just wondering if I can still used the BIOS files even with Windows 7. Thank you for any advice. Apologies for the Berlin wall of text.

First please Enters a couple of times, that will help to read it.

But second Its no problem just follow the instructions and it will be fine ;)

Good luck!!

Added the revised vbios to the first post, if you're an SLI user on the latest 2.04 mod I recommend flashing it.

Just tried to flash my 750m ultrabay and I keep getting this error any ideas this was on the newest nvflash on windows.. If I go thought dos I get error a newer version of nvflash is required.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (C2,2012) : MX MX25L2005 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page

ERROR: PCI Block corrupted - size mismatch

Added the revised vbios to the first post, if you're an SLI user on the latest 2.04 mod I recommend flashing it.

Thanks! So I'm assuming this adds software voltage control to the Ultrabay GPU?

It's 90-100F every day here right now so I'll have to wait until winter to try my hand at overvolting, but this will definitely come in handy.

Just tried to flash my 750m ultrabay and I keep getting this error any ideas this was on the newest nvflash on windows.. If I go thought dos I get error a newer version of nvflash is required.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (C2,2012) : MX MX25L2005 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page

Are you sure you have the latest version of DOS NVFLASH?

Hm.

Like vito357si, I also get this error while trying to flash the ultrabay GT750M card:

Have tried with both the latest versions of nvflash for DOS and Windows (v5.136 and v5.142 respectively).

The previous FW (80.07.95.00.17 - OC) flashes without problems, the new one does not :(

Greetings,

Auke

Thank you sir! Yeah I've tried hitting enter, shift+enter, and even going to advanced reply but for whatever reason the cursor won't move. My formatting is destined to SUCK. Hmm, maybe its the browser. I'll switch that up. ANYway thanks again, might sound like a noobish question but I haven't flashed a BIOS before so I wanna cover all bases before ah, the main event. This is a great resource here, I'll be sure to post around! hopefully with more paragraph breaks :)

Urm, I have a stock bios backup and when i flash it (similar how i flash the mod bios) the nvidia inspector still showed XX.XXX.XXX [MODIFIED] is there a work-around for this? or I need other bios tools to flash it? Because I need to send back to the service center for speaker repairs.

Thanks in Advance.

Hm.

Like vito357si, I also get this error while trying to flash the ultrabay GT750M card:

Have tried with both the latest versions of nvflash for DOS and Windows (v5.136 and v5.142 respectively).

The previous FW (80.07.95.00.17 - OC) flashes without problems, the new one does not :(

Not sure what's wrong, I'll take a look at it. You can try to force the flash with using -4 -5 -6, might allow you to flash.

Urm, I have a stock bios backup and when i flash it (similar how i flash the mod bios) the nvidia inspector still showed XX.XXX.XXX [MODIFIED] is there a work-around for this? or I need other bios tools to flash it? Because I need to send back to the service center for speaker repairs.

Reset your bios, go to the bios and load the default settings, if this doesn't help remove the coin cell battery if there's one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Load default settings doesn't help. guess left the remove coin cell option. (Just check n1smo pictures, I don't think I'm able to find CMOS battery in this unit). Should i flash the stock v2.02 provided on the OP?

Hi,

Already tried that. The results is always the same I'm afraid...

Not sure what's wrong, I'll take a look at it. You can try to force the flash with using -4 -5 -6, might allow you to flash.

Reset your bios, go to the bios and load the default settings, if this doesn't help remove the coin cell battery if there's one.