Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Hey guys I have the Y400 with the GT 750m and I really want to get rid of the centrino 2230, is this method recommended for my y400? I was reading the main post and it said it was also valid for the Y400, but I'm not sure if it'll work with the 750m edition (the method was made originally for the y400 with the 650m onboard)...

You can install a 6235 Advanced-N Centrino if you disable fast boot on Windows 8. Else you will have BSODs.

If I were you I would go with the 6300, which does not have Bluetooth. And it's also officially supported. No need for BIOS mod with this one.

You can install a 6235 Advanced-N Centrino if you disable fast boot on Windows 8. Else you will have BSODs.

If I were you I would go with the 6300, which does not have Bluetooth. And it's also officially supported. No need for BIOS mod with this one.

I'm really hoping for a 2.04 release, I want to instal an Intel Wireless AC-7260 in my Y500[h=1][/h]

The 6300 is supported but it needs to have the approved FRU, which I'm not able to find anywere... are you sure it'll work without modding the BIOS? Also the 6300 uses 3 antennas... and I really don't know where would I put the 3rd one (I don't know if it has to be put in a specific place or something, I don't want to mess up with the notebook too much)

The 6300 is supported but it must be the one with the approved FRU, which I can't find anywere, I don't know if the other 6300s with different FRUs will work on the Y400 or not, but also the 6300 has 3 antennas, but I know that it'll work with 2 (I'm not sure if putting a 3rd antenna will be worth it and/or if it has to be put in a specific place). Are you sure it'll work without modding the BIOS? If that's so I'm instantly buying the 6300, I don't care much about the Bluetooth.

The 6300 is supported but it needs to have the approved FRU, which I'm not able to find anywere... are you sure it'll work without modding the BIOS? Also the 6300 uses 3 antennas... and I really don't know where would I put the 3rd one (I don't know if it has to be put in a specific place or something, I don't want to mess up with the notebook too much)
I had a 6300 in asus g73j and all I did was buy the 3rd antenna and coil it up in a vacant spot that would disrupt anything, and I got consistent 270-450mbps

Intel 6300 633AN HMW Half Mini PIC E Wlan Wireless Card 60Y3193 FOR IBM Lenovo | eBay

1X Laptop Router Booster Wireless U FL Mini PCI Antenna | eBay

I had a 6300 in asus g73j and all I did was buy the 3rd antenna and coil it up in a vacant spot that would disrupt anything, and I got consistent 270-450mbps

Intel 6300 633AN HMW Half Mini PIC E Wlan Wireless Card 60Y3193 FOR IBM Lenovo | eBay

1X Laptop Router Booster Wireless U FL Mini PCI Antenna | eBay

If you take a look at that centrino 6300 it has the FRU # 60Y3193, and the 6300 that is "approved" by Lenovo has a FRU # 20002323 which apparently isn't anywhere! Or at least in all the sites I've looked on...

I just noticed this too. Where is the modded 2.02 bios? I suscribed just to download that file and now is gone :(

Right, I forgot to put them in the first post.

I revised the bios fixing tool, should be easier to use now since it's no more command line based.

Gonna add it to the first post now, v2.03 coming soon as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

v2.03 mod added to the first post, please report any issues.

The 750m vbios has been updated in that version, if you're an SLI user you might want to flash the ultra bay card as well. Check the first post for the updated vbios.

I'm really hoping for a 2.04 release, I want to instal an Intel Wireless AC-7260 in my Y500

Please send me a copy of your 2.04 backup, I don't have a copy of that version.

• Thumbs Up 3

The 750m vbios has been updated in that version, if you're an SLI user you might want to flash the ultra bay card as well. Check the first post for the updated vbios.

Just so you don't think I blew you off bout the 2.04 bios, I didn't, had to send my Y500 back due to defective screen, I will send you 2.04 as soon as my replacement arrives.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

If you take a look at that centrino 6300 it has the FRU # 60Y3193, and the 6300 that is "approved" by Lenovo has a FRU # 20002323 which apparently isn't anywhere! Or at least in all the sites I've looked on...

These ebay intel cards are usually engineering samples, with modded bios, ignore the fru, my y470p has the stock bios and I put a "supported" 6250 in it and the printed fru does not match the supported list O_o

Hello svl7,my bios is v 2.00. Is it possible to mod it? and why does my y500 freeze in metro 2033 and needs to be hard reset if i overclock it beyond 1050/2400 in nvidia inspector but i can overclock it to 1100/2500 in bioshock infinite without any problems

My nvidia driver is up to date, v320.18

Update to v2.02 and then use the mod.

Seems like your overclock is not stable for metro. Bioshock is a totally different program, it's not surprise that the overclocking results are different.

I didn't realize just how locked down the existing bios was until I saw the unlocked one. :)

Just don't mess with things you aren't sure about, not everything from the unlocked menus works, I don't have a Y500 to test it myself so I can't tell you.

I wouldn't waste you time and $ on the N-1202, get the AC-7260, it cheaper and is on the latest wireless tech. The N-1202 are descent but the price tag I'm not a fan of. (At least here in canada their pricey)

The N-1202 costs like 47.99 on Amazon and the AC-7260 is about the same price (eBay at least) but I'm not so sure if it'll work well since it's kinda "new" in the market (and it'll probably have driver related issues), what I want to know if it'll be better than the N-1202, I mostly game on this notebook so if the AC-7260 performs better than the N-1202 I'll probably upgrade to it :) .