Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I picked up a 6235 and tried to install it today before finding out the hard way that the whitelist blocks them. I got my y500 recently, so it's rocking the 2.03 bios. Hopefully it will get hacked soon. Are you able to flash back the regular bios if you ever need to send in the laptop for service? Also, does anyone know of a wifi card that supports 5ghz in the whitelist now?

Thanks for the reply

I have a Y500 with 2.03. Just got it due to mine having a motherboard replaced and having parts shortage. My old one was 2.02, this one is 2.03.

How would I go about getting my BIOS copied to a file to send?

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to copy it and sent svl7 a PM. Thanks again!

I have v2.03 as well. Can you let me know if there is any news on the mod? I have the more recent model that has the GT750m on-board, and no second card.

After having flashing the modded 2.02 BIOS on my computer I have noticed that I lose access to my Bluetooth devices. I dug around in Windows to find that my Bluetooth hardware is unavailable (not even listed in device manager). I promptly went through the BIOS menu to see if it had been deactivated on accident to find that there isn't an option for it. The only solution I found was to "repair" the drivers by using the install on Lenovo's site, and reboot. However, once I shut the computer down, or put it to sleep I lose Bluetooth once more.

Has anyone ran into this issue? Or has any suggestions on how I should go about fixing this?

I tried uninstalling the drivers, flushing them out from the system, rebooting and re-installing. But, it does the same exact thing.

I am currently running Windows 8.

Hey guys I'm just wondering why there's so much hate for the stock WiFi card that comes with the Y500? It's working great for me. Except the Bluetooth adapter isn't really compatible with a lot of my Bluetooth applications :/ Other than that, I have the Y500 with dual 750m graphics cards. Will I be able to overclock the cards without overvolting?

Generally because the 2230 card has some pretty well known issues with speed and consistency of connection for wifi. The card should hit a max speed of 150mbps but most people rarely break 20mbps. Newer drivers have helped some. Disabling bluetooth has helped some. But it seems to be a hardware issue with the card and some people would just like to be able to replace the card with a better performing card. On top of that some people want to be able to use 5ghz connections and the card doesn't support that. That is useful for those people stuck in areas that have the 2.4ghz band flooded with competing signals(like 20 neighbors with wifi routers of their own).

Hey guys I'm just wondering why there's so much hate for the stock WiFi card that comes with the Y500? It's working great for me. Except the Bluetooth adapter isn't really compatible with a lot of my Bluetooth applications :/ Other than that, I have the Y500 with dual 750m graphics cards. Will I be able to overclock the cards without overvolting?

I have the same issue. Do you use the original wifi card?

I have installed a broadcom card which seems tot have bad Windows 8 drivers (or maybe its BIOS related.)

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk

Has anyone actually sent a firmware backup of 2.03 or 2.04 to svl7 yet so he can work on it? Is the backup something that's moddable or do we need to wait for the newer versions to get leaked like 2.02 was?

I posted my copy of 2.03 a few weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

I posted my copy of 2.03 a few weeks ago.

I can probably do it myself for everyone by hex comparing stock and modded BIOS made by him. But if something is different I risk bricking everyone's motherboard. But you can always donate him prior making the BIOS mod, He doesn't have much free time probably. But this way he hopefully can release faster.

I can do the 750M and 650M unlock on 2.03 and 2.04 but the whitelist and menu unlock I have no experience with. Reason I don't make the mod myself is because I have a non-whitelisted WLAN card. And this is my only computer.

I'm not sure if this has been already asked but here goes:

I followed the guide step by step (and thus updating my bios to version 2.02 now the next point of the guide is that I need to have the same version of bios to flash a modded version. So I'm now on v2.02 but the only modded ones attached are the 1.03 and 1.04. So whats the point in updating to v2.02 first? And do I need to downgrade now in order to flash 1.05?

Thanks

EDIT: Found it, its in this thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-57.html#post49733

Hope this helps others

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys should PM svl7 with the BIOS file you want modded and ask nicely. He hasn't popped in here in quite a while and there've been a lot of product launches recently so he's probably busy elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys should PM svl7 with the BIOS file you want modded and ask nicely. He hasn't popped in here in quite a while and there've been a lot of product launches recently so he's probably busy elsewhere.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for asking this silly question, is Y500 able to upgrade the processor. I have a 3630QM model because I need to do some photo and video editing so does Lenovo have a white list for processors. If it didn't have, is it possible upgrade to 3740QM?

Hey guys I have the Y400 with the GT 750m and I really want to get rid of the centrino 2230, is this method recommended for my y400? I was reading the main post and it said it was also valid for the Y400, but I'm not sure if it'll work with the 750m edition (the method was made originally for the y400 with the 650m onboard)...