Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I do not have 750M SLI. They don't yet have the Y400 gt750M ultrabay for sale and do not sell the Y500 gt750m ultrabay part separate from a "IdeaPad Y500 Laptop - Dual Graphics - 59371963" unit which already has it installed. As far as playing with the voltage I the slider on nvidia inspector worked (I've not had time to install anything more to verify changes or anything so it could be it did nothing). I'll take dump of my bios next chance I get.

As far as updating drivers, if you use anything beyond lenovo's drivers right now you have to manually add your laptops hardware id info to nvwin.inf as the GT750m doesn't exist (GT740m does in latest beta's though) in the drivers folder and to install beta drivers you first have to reboot your machine with test signing turned on but that gets tricky with secure boot enabled...

to update drivers these are the shortest steps I've cobbled together

1. Windows Key + X

2. Select "Device manager"

3. Expand display adapters doubleclick on your video card

4. Look at detail tab, in property drop down select "hardware id"

5. note your Ven, Dev, and subsys values mine for example is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_380217AA"

6. visit LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers populate device search field

7. Download inf file for driver you attempted to install overwrite in the extracted location (location for me was "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\320.00\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver")

8. Windows Key + R

9. Enter “shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 0″ – this tells the computer to restart and prompt how you want to start

10. The system will restart to a menu allowing you to change how it boots.

11. Select “Troubleshoot”

12. Select “Advanced options”

13. Select “Windows Startup Settings” – this will restart Windows and let us change the boot options

14. Click “Restart” button

15. System will restart to “Advanced Boot Options” screen

16. Select “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement” – this tells the computer to booth without forcing signed drivers.

17. Reboot the computer and install the driver from the extracted folder (for me it was "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\320.00\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\setup.exe")

18. Reboot disable driver signature enforcement will be enabled again.

Yeah if you have fewer than 5 posts your posts will be reviewed before they appear hence the delay.

We know about using .bat files with Nvidia Inspector and that is how everyone overclocked before this modded BIOS was available. The problem with that method is you are limited to +135 on any drivers after 310.90 and as of 320.00 BETA that has not changed yet. Obviously using such old drivers to play any of the newest games is not feasible since optimizations and SLI profiles for them are missing. The modded BIOS and vBIOS allow you to overclock past the +135 MHz core limit on any driver version and also makes the overclocking process much easier since you can simply use something like MSI Afterburner and move the sliders instead of having to create custom batch files with Nvidia Inspector. If you read Mobius 1's thread on NBR where this method originated from you'll see he explicitly wrote that you should check for a BIOS/vBIOS mod before using that method.

Also, you shouldn't overclock in P5 as the core voltage is lower than in P0 and this will limit how high your core can go. P0 is the highest performance state and this is where you will get the best results.

Ah, I see. So then I will have to do this before updating the drivers, thanks. Didn't read the NBR post I don't think. I don't remember how I ended up here, had so many pages open looking for an answer. Glad I finally landed here :)

But yeah I'd use the P0 state if I could, but I can't get any clock adjustments to stick for some reason. I'll recheck the .bat file. Or just flash and OC normally, like you said. Well, I think I have some decent 650's then. I was locked into the mid p-state and was perfectly stable in SLI at 1050mhz/4800mhz. What are some of the average OCs people get here with their 650m's?

I personally cant wait to get this to work do some serious overclocking to this bad boy espically the video card. I think its crappy that Lenovo locks down the Wifi cards. I hope they dont do that for the Pcie ssd's

Anyone know if lenovo put some whitelist on msata ssd for y500?? I just recently ordered one.. lol

FYI,

Sent a pm to svl7 with my bios to take a look at when he has time and thanks in advanced.

Also this is what my nvidia inspector looks like.

post-12486-14494995080335_thumb.jpg

Though sliding the voltage around and applying didn't seem to change what the voltage was registering.

It was at 1.118v the whole time, when I overclocked it by 135mhz it jumped to 1.125v but never beyond that no matter what I did with the voltage slider.

Also the Priorize Temperature feature worked moving the slider around and applying it would cause the fan mhz and voltage to throttle down/up to maintain that temp with in around 1C variation.

I used furmark to simulate load and since base clock offset and temp setting and memory clock worked in real time (can apply and settings take effect immediately) the voltage settings should as well if it worked so I have to assume it isn't actually doing anything.

*defo* gonna buy you a beer when i've done this to my Y500 Sli arriving tomorrow!! Major respect for all the hard work you have put into helping people svI7 !

>> Here's the 'buy me a beer' link in case you like this :)<<

Use at your own risk, you are responsible for your system and the changes you make on it. My programs come with absolutely no warranty to the extent permitted by applicable law.

FYI,

Sent a pm to svl7 with my bios to take a look at when he has time and thanks in advanced.

Also this is what my nvidia inspector looks like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7197[/ATTACH]

Though sliding the voltage around and applying didn't seem to change what the voltage was registering.

It was at 1.118v the whole time, when I overclocked it by 135mhz it jumped to 1.125v but never beyond that no matter what I did with the voltage slider.

Also the Priorize Temperature feature worked moving the slider around and applying it would cause the fan mhz and voltage to throttle down/up to maintain that temp with in around 1C variation.

I used furmark to simulate load and since base clock offset and temp setting and memory clock worked in real time (can apply and settings take effect immediately) the voltage settings should as well if it worked so I have to assume it isn't actually doing anything.

I figured it probably didn't do anything. You never see software voltage control on mobile GPU's. vBIOS flashing is pretty much the only way to go about it.

*defo* gonna buy you a beer when i've done this to my Y500 Sli arriving tomorrow!! Major respect for all the hard work you have put into helping people svI7 !

>> Here's the 'buy me a beer' link in case you like this :)<<

Use at your own risk, you are responsible for your system and the changes you make on it. My programs come with absolutely no warranty to the extent permitted by applicable law.

Given that one follows the instructions to the letter, is it safe to do these mods to the BIOS? I.e can something go wrong / brick the laptop.

I would think not much can as long as you actually are following the directions carefully. And if there was any major problems with this process I think we would have heard about them by now. So...I'm sure it's fine. Speaking of which...going to start doing mine now. Wish me luck :29_002:

Everything went splendidly :) You're the man svl7.

So...took a tour of the new BIOS and was just wondering what the TC1 and TC2 settings do if the values are changed? I know better than to change random settings, so, I'm just asking if anyone knows for sure. Because I saw the word 'throttle' in the description...and I really hate that word. I ran ThrottleStop and both cores stayed at 100%, so I don't think it was throttling at all. But if those settings disable it for good then I'd be willing to do it, if anyone knows about them. There was one other setting that looked like it was asking to be changed, but I forgot what it's called now. Would have to do a restart to look again.

Basically just wondering if there's a guide to the unlocked BIOS settings. Either way, thanks again svl!

Everything went splendidly :) You're the man svl7.

So...took a tour of the new BIOS and was just wondering what the TC1 and TC2 settings do if the values are changed? I know better than to change random settings, so, I'm just asking if anyone knows for sure. Because I saw the word 'throttle' in the description...and I really hate that word. I ran ThrottleStop and both cores stayed at 100%, so I don't think it was throttling at all. But if those settings disable it for good then I'd be willing to do it, if anyone knows about them. There was one other setting that looked like it was asking to be changed, but I forgot what it's called now. Would have to do a restart to look again.

Basically just wondering if there's a guide to the unlocked BIOS settings. Either way, thanks again svl!

Read my reply to you here and don't mess with anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, well you don't see it with Nvidia... with AMD you can, e.g. 7970m is adjustable per software.

Thanks for the info; I didn't know that. The last AMD mobile GPU I owned was the Mobility 5870 in my former ASUS G73Jh. The maximum voltage on that thing was hardlocked but you could undervolt with BIOS mods.

Read my reply to you here and don't mess with anything.

Yeah I guess I'll leave them all alone if there's no guide out there.

Well I did the flash and everything on the 310.99's I had installed. Did a clean install of the 320.00's and now I'm stuck at 135mhz core, even with 100% load. Weird. Going to try installing the drivers again. Must be the drivers since I restarted after the flashes in the OP and everything OC'd beautifully with Precision, then with 320.00...135mhz.

I would think not much can as long as you actually are following the directions carefully. And if there was any major problems with this process I think we would have heard about them by now. So...I'm sure it's fine. Speaking of which...going to start doing mine now. Wish me luck :29_002:

Fair enough :) I'm guessing that if something's wrong it's always possible to flash the bios back to the backuped BIOS.

Thanks for the info; I didn't know that. The last AMD mobile GPU I owned was the Mobility 5870 in my former ASUS G73Jh. The maximum voltage on that thing was hardlocked but you could undervolt with BIOS mods.

Actually you can over- and undervolt that card not only per vbios but also per software. (TrixX). I run that card at almost 1Ghz.

But back to topic, lol.

Actually you can over- and undervolt that card not only per vbios but also per software. (TrixX). I run that card at almost 1Ghz.

But back to topic, lol.

I remember reading about that during the time I had the ASUS, but it was always people with other machines, e.g. Alienwares and MSI's, that were able to successfully overvolt their 5870 using Sapphire TriXX. As far as I know the ASUS board had a hard lock, at least that's what the ASUS reps on the forums always said, and since nobody ever did succeed with the G73Jh I never questioned that.

But I digress. Bygones are bygones. :)

Just a quick post to thank svl7 for his mods.

Got internal GPU to 1165/2200 Mhz and external to 1156/2200 Mhz ... a good 10 fps increase in Tomb Raider! :)

Thing is that external GPU is -25mV less than internal, and is about 9c higher than internal... not that good cooling or maybe the cooler on external isn't as big/good.

Anyways, ossom GPU OC, so thanks again!!!!

The 3630qm is the one that I couldn't overclock, too bad, as I see it has big potential, but it's not a slow cpu by all means! :P

The -25mv is a reporting issues with SLI, or the voltage is in fact lower due to driver settings (don't think so though). Anyway, both vbios are set to the same value.

The higher temps are probably due to the very small air intake of the ultra bay GPU. A repaste might help a bit.

Just a quick post to thank svl7 for his mods.

Got internal GPU to 1165/2200 Mhz and external to 1156/2200 Mhz ... a good 10 fps increase in Tomb Raider! :)

Thing is that external GPU is -25mV less than internal, and is about 9c higher than internal... not that good cooling or maybe the cooler on external isn't as big/good.

Anyways, ossom GPU OC, so thanks again!!!!

The 3630qm is the one that I couldn't overclock, too bad, as I see it has big potential, but it's not a slow cpu by all means! :P

what temps is your system running at under load with these clocks?

Just want to make sure for those who own the Y500 model, will the white-list mod for y500 matter to those with GT650m, SLI GT650m, or SLI GT750m versions of the y500 if the bios version is the same? My Y500 SLI GT750m is arriving tomorrow and I would like to know how I can help or contribute to this forum.

Hi I just joined and hope to receive my Y500 soon (Ordered the SLI 750m) so that I can try this out.

I have a question regarding widi, if Lenovo's support page has what looks like a driver to it, does this mean it should support it?