Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I have searched far and wide on Google and it looks like you cannot overclock GPU core on drivers newer than 310.90 (only memory overclocking works in my case). Thus, without the modded VBIOS we are out of luck :(

Hi guys, I'm a forum noob and just ordered a Y500 with SLI. Thanks for all the super helpful info in this thread. Got some quick questions.

This is the main system BIOS not the vBIOS correct? We are still waiting for an unlocked vBIOS for the GT 650M?

Is this BIOS required to overclock the GPU? Does it help you get higher clocks? I'm assuming everyone is using Nvidia Inspector and the .bat files to do the overclocking?

What are other benefits of this unlocked BIOS besides removing the hardware whitelist so that other WiFi cards can be installed? I know that the Intel GPU is disabled at the hardware level. Does the hardware whitelist prevent me from installing an mSATA SSD in the laptop?

last but not least, how many posts do I need in order to see images and download attachments in this forum? :playful:

Thanks a lot.

Hi guys, this will be my first experience with bios flash(on a laptop) and reading this thread has given me a lot of confidence.

MY BIOS ver is 1.03.

My Y500 has ELAN touchpad which is faulty and i have already contacted lenevo and they have told me they are going to replace it(it will take atleast 2 weeks).So should I update my BIOS to 1.03 Mod or should I wait for the repair first?

Yes greatben this bios will allow overclocking of the video card.

As an aside in regards to the hd4000 issues.. other systems ( alienware) require a reboot to switch to onboard gpu. I'll fiddle hopefully without breaking when I can get my bios modded.

Hi final kiss dun know what problem my y400 even use 310.90 driver and flash the modified bios and using nvidiainspector my gpu core clock can't higher than 925 with +135 already I now still figure up why problem I have why u guys can oc till 1k+ but I can't. So any suggestion here?

Has anybody been able to successfully overclock the Y500 CPU and RAM using this modified BIOS? Someone posted here that he was able to used the "Advanced" menu to change the CPU multiplier and bump up the RAM. Since I don't have enough posts to view pictures or download files on this forum I cannot try this out for myself.

Is there any way to overclock the graphics card? I don't know if anyone noticed, but overclocking via Nvidia Inspector actually doesn't increase the max clock. It says it does, but if you check the usage while gaming, it's locked at 790Mhz.

Hey svl7 - I just got my Lenovo y500 and I am wanting to overclock. I am trying to unlock my bios but when I go to run the backup utility either it is not working or I get an error.

Running the windows one from a command prompt give me error 104 - the SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.

Running the DOS version from command prompt tells me that it is not compatible with the 64 bit version of windows. any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

post-11243-14494994489578_thumb.png

Hey svl7 - I just got my Lenovo y500 and I am wanting to overclock. I am trying to unlock my bios but when I go to run the backup utility either it is not working or I get an error.

Running the windows one from a command prompt give me error 104 - the SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.

Running the DOS version from command prompt tells me that it is not compatible with the 64 bit version of windows. any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6361[/ATTACH]

Nevermind - found the answer in a previous post! :)

I definitely am going to change my bios. I contacted Lenovo support and asked why there was a whitelist on network cards for my Y500 and was told because my network card was incompatible with Windows 8. Yes, I'm going to trust a guy who told me that it was originally a driver issue, not the fact that the bios was blocking me from even attempting to access Windows.

I need to check it first, but most likely that's not possible. Also this update is not officially released yet. If you really want to make sure that it hasn't been tampered with, then just flash the stock 2.02 with the included Insyde utility. If it isn't signed it won't flash.