Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Appreciate your prompt reply, svl7 . The followings are the command response as well as screen shot:

E:\Fptw64_2>fptw64 -d biosbackup.bin -bios
Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid
--- Flash Devices Found ---
W25Q32BV ID:0xEF4016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
MX25L1605A ID:0xC22015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.
E:\Fptw64_2>fptw64 -i
Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid
--- Flash Devices Found ---
W25Q32BV ID:0xEF4016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
MX25L1605A ID:0xC22015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.

post-10420-14494994348744_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to your reply, thanks again!

This has been discussed, it's due to the motherboard design, leaving out the ability to use only the iGPU respectively only the dedicated GPU needs a more sophisticated mobo design, i.e. more expensive. Lenovo didn't put that ability in the Y500.

For clarity's sake, does this means that optimus tech and enabling the HD 4000 is impossible due to hardware limitations? My current wish for wanting the HD 4000 as a standard is that I have 650 sli which is wonderful for gaming, but horrid for using the laptop for regular use. It would be nice to enable the 4000 for those situations. Thanks for your help

I'm not familiar with the Y500... the datasheet says the system is Optimus capable, so it should use the HD4000 automatically, however some users online report that there's no Optimus. I don't know what's true, never had my hands on such a system.

However, it seems that there's no way to run only the Intel HD4000, I'd say it's hardware related. Most systems which come with Optimus can't run on only the dGPU or only iGPU, some of the exceptions are the current AW systems, they use a different board design with additional parts in order to leave out the HD4000 completely.

I don't know, there's no bios download for the Y400 on the Lenovo site, but if you can provide me with a dump of your bios I might be able to tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I found a dump of the Y400 bios in another request thread. Seems to be the same platform, so it should work perfectly fine, but since we have only the bios and not the rest of the firmware you'll need to stay on the same version as you currently are. Can you tell me which bios version you have?

This all looks very promising, and much kudos to svl7, whom is the only one giving all of us Y500 owners some hope. The biggest thing, I believe, is that we get the HD4000 enabled if we can. If not this laptop will have been a lie to many of us. If we can somehow do that then this laptop will be golden.

I just achieved the highest 3DMark11 public score, so far, for a Y500 with just 1x GT 650m. A very respectable P3239 at 1150mhz/2700mhz, while resting on a cooling pad.

Could not have done it without svl7's work on unlocking the bios. Thanks again to you, good sir. Fine work, indeed.

We could actually crush this score if over-volting becomes available. When it fails during stress testing the temps are still in the 60 degree range; it just needs a few more drops of power.

CPU is another story... gets super hot super fast and can saturate the GPU over time. A decent laptop cooler pushes enough fresh air to keep the CPU happy at a rock-steady 3198.8mhz while topping out at 85C under load. Not bad. Without cooling help the CPU temps will reach 90-95C under load, though. Too close for comfort. One core spikes up to 100C and boom... auto-protect killswitch shuts ya down hard.

I'm still amazed by the potential of these GK107-A2's. So who's gonna knock me off the hill? Go for it! Let's get one to P3400 plus! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

GT650MOCd1200mhz_zpsb492be91.jpg

I have identical Y500 with yours....

<embed id="xunlei_com_thunder_helper_plugin_d462f475-c18e-46be-bd10-327458d045bd" type="application/thunder_download_plugin" height="0" width="0">

- - - Updated - - -

<embed id="xunlei_com_thunder_helper_plugin_d462f475-c18e-46be-bd10-327458d045bd" type="application/thunder_download_plugin" height="0" width="0">I flashed the BIOS from 1.07 down to 1.05-modified, all working good

I tried to enable HD4000 from the BIOS advanced option... Seems not working.

To any who want to try and beat my score... and I hope you do! Don't brick your new computer, please. I take no responsibility. Been working with this stuff all my adult life... if you aren't super-comfortable with this, re-think.

Theoretically, your Y500 should be just as capable of reaching that score as mine. My P3239 is the highest of three consecutive runs. The score will vary by a few points each time. Use a cooler or place the laptop on a fan. Watch your temps on a second monitor, if you can. I haven't noticed any impact on the score when running dual external monitors.

You must stop the CPU from throttling completely and set it to run at 3.2ghz. To do this, set C-States, BDPROCHOT and Turbo Short PWR Duration to "disabled" in the svl7 modded bios. Use ThrottleStop to lock your multiplier to 32x, 33x or "Turbo". 32x should put you at 3198.8ghz. 33x and Turbo do the same thing. It tops out at 3.2 ghz. I'm not interested in unlocking that limit at the moment, but I did see a 3DMark score from what looked like a Y500 that reported CPU at 3.3ghz. It was probably throttling. The physics and mixed portions of the test are CPU-intensive, so steady CPU is better than bursting in this case. Also, any bump in CPU speed will yield a higher score. As a side note, disabling hyper-threading yielded much lower scores across the board. The decrease in heat generation was not worth the performance hit for me.

I had best results on the 310.70 Nvidia driver. I would NEVER recommend what I'm about to say if I hadn't experienced it myself, but... let windows upgrade the driver for you. (gasp) I was on the Lenovo 306.00 driver and had tried 310, 314, etc Nvidia installers, with varied results. In a moment of insanity I went into devmgr and clicked on the GT 650m, then upgrade driver, then search automatically. Windows found the 310.7 driver and replaced the 306.00 driver without much fanfare. After a restart I was surprised to find that my Windows driver update was working beautifully... that's when I achieved the posted score. My previous experience with Windows updating video drivers has been overwhelmingly poor... so poor that I disable those updates on my client's computers. This time it worked nicely... dunno. I'll take it though.

I used the latest Nvidia Inspector (1.9.7.0) to set clocks at 1150core and 2700 mem. Anything higher and there is simply not enough voltage to get it done. Hoping to be able to bump up the juice a bit eventually, but to be honest these gains are impressive as they stand. Crysis 3 runs on maxed out settings without issue. Planetside 2 with the "ultra" settings mod runs excellently and never drops below 25FPS. Pretty good for Planetside. Those battles get busy!

Please be careful and feel free to ask any questions. I check in here once a day at least. PM is ok too, but your question might benefit the group, so consider posting in the thread :)

-bearfight

• Thumbs Up 3

thx for your reply bear =) maybe my card already locked by vbios,i cant overlock over 135 by nvidiaInspector

So I recently do some research on modding vbios by winhex,try over the 924 clock speed.First i try using gpu-z dump my gt650m vbios,but no luck my vbios is tied to my bios.So i dump my vbios from my bios.Then i starting modding my GT650m vbios by winhex.After finish edit i replace module into bios and flash mod bios.

After using the flashing tools svl7 given and successfully flash the modded bios,when i restart my system my screen become black.Then i recover my bios back.I have try a lot of software but still cant flash my vbios over 135.Maybe gt650m too new for them

So can somebody kindsoul help me edit my GT650m vbios. i will thank you very much

here is my vbios A274A98B-83A6-4C37-A816-9F93D79FD6D9_1_1114.ROM

thanks in advance

gpuzkt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us