Y500 Disassembled (Pictures)

n1smo

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine has been making some weird noise from the fan, and the worst part was, I thought I ordered a replacement part for it, but it turns out that the part was for a y400 when I took the whole thing apart and found that one of the screws for the cooling module didn't line up correctly. The first time taking apart this laptop is a bit of a pain, but it was a fun challenge nevertheless. To make matters worse, after putting it back together almost completely, the speakers were not recognized, so I had to open it up again and make sure everything was connected (which it wasn't) and then repeat the process of reassembling it again.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have repasted the termal compound on my Y510P CPU and GPU but the temperature stayed the same. I also try adding washers to increase the pressure of the springs. The only other thing I haven't tried yet is reflashing my BIOS to a modded BIOS and undervolting my CPU/GPU. If only I can download the files needed. I will update after I find a way to do that.

• 5 months later...
On 05/04/2018 at 3:19 AM, Bowser said:

I have repasted the termal compound on my Y510P CPU and GPU but the temperature stayed the same. I also try adding washers to increase the pressure of the springs. The only other thing I haven't tried yet is reflashing my BIOS to a modded BIOS and undervolting my CPU/GPU. If only I can download the files needed. I will update after I find a way to do that.

Which thermal paste? 

DO NOT undervolt with modded BIOS. If you only want to undervolt use ThrottleStop. Use search funtion. It has been discussed a lot of times.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You did a great job. LCD ribbon on my laptop is broken, so the screen is flickering. I thought to disassembly and try to replace the ribbon, but after I saw I had to basically disassemble it completely, I just decided to use an external monitor instead. It's way easier. :)