garbage wifi on Y580

sgtrobo

My rig:

IdeaPad Y580

i7-3610

8 GB PC12800

240GB Mushkin SSD (Win7x64 Pro, SP1 installed)

1 TB Seagate 5400 RPM

nVidia GTX 660M (2GB)

and importantly:

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 BGN 2x2 HMC WiFi/Bluetooth Adapter

Driver 15.3.1.2, 30 September 2012

D-Link DIR-825 router

as you can guess from the title, I'm one of the many dissatisfied customers with this laptop due to the wifi. I actually am quite pleased with the laptop otherwise, but the wifi performance is terrible. Dropped signal, random disconnect/reconnects, performance fluctuations, etc. I'd like to get a new network card for the laptop as I believe that 2200 is probably the source of my issues, but from what my untrained mind is reading, it might be impossible, because even if I do install a new card, the BIOS will booger up on me?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
Yeah, it looks like lenovo put a whitelist on cards that can be installed
the wifi is very buggy at times, I disabled n and it seems a bit more stable now.

whitelist is disabled using the unlocked bios @svl7 kindly provided. That effectively allows you guys to install any wifi card

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe you're looking for this: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions.html

Be warned though, if you purchased it recently, you might have some issues with flashing as I am. Going to have to wait a while.

I just bought one and was planning on flashing..what type of issues r u having?

This was an old post... I believe most of the issues regarding flashing are resolved, as the BIOS for Windows 8 was released (the one that shipped with the newer configurations of the Y580). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Will be flashing this weekend if all goes well.

This was an old post... I believe most of the issues regarding flashing are resolved, as the BIOS for Windows 8 was released (the one that shipped with the newer configurations of the Y580). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Will be flashing this weekend if all goes well.

slv7 posted a modded version of the Win8 BIOS (v8.00 & v8.01) but they are not posted on Lenovo's site, which makes flashing a bit scary for me esp since I'm a noob. If anything goes wrong I wouldn't be able to recover the BIOS via USB

• 2 weeks later...

It is weird so you many of user are complainnig about the stock wifi. What router are you guys using? I am using dd-wrt and tomatos w/ Broadcom based chipset and not experiencing any drop out, lag or slow speed. Maybe I am one of the few lucky one. Have you tried the latest driver from intel.com?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, i have the latest updated drivers, used multiple routers. i have issues connecting all over the place, either at my home router (DIR-825) or on public networks (i.e. Starbucks, hotel chains, etc.)

I ended up getting a TP-Link USB wireless adapter and it works 100x better, but it's still annoying. I'm just going to get a hacked BIOS and install a real wifi adapter internally. Really strange because the laptop is an absolute beast in everything else, but the wireless is just terrible

• 3 weeks later...

Stock WiFi card in my Y580 has been working flawlessly, have one with the newer 8.XX BIOS versions. Looking forward to flashing the faster 660m BIOS and eventually upgrading my Wifi card. Sometimes I think that these issues with computers are in the hardware itself, faulty computers and whatnot. I have been fortunate enough to be problem free!

• 4 months later...

A lot of people complain about the poor quality of the internal WiFi. Laptop design can significantly affect your wireless performance. Lenovo makes the design error of Wi-Fi cabling and routing it right near the CPU and GPU noise generators. So the right RF cable routing may solve the problem.

I've got a Centrino 2230 in my Y410P and it has caused me nothing but headaches from the start. I've got a fresh Centrino 6235 to replace it, but like others, am waiting on getting a BIOS which is opened up to allow hardware modifications. Once I have it, I'll gladly post back here to share how my connectivity has changed, if at all.

I've been having problems for the last 9 months with it and my resolution is to restart. ( I have a SSD so only a few seconds :D )

But my school just upgraded all their wireless to the state of the art nice stuff 5GHz but this thing only has 2.4 and its iffy so i bought a Intel 622ANXHMW Centrino Advanced-N + Wimax 6250 on ebay for like $10 when i found out that Lenovo y580 had a whitelist. So when im approved to download the files im gona give the mod Bios a go.

Thanks to slv7.

• 3 weeks later...