msi gt70 Really high GPU temps even after repaste with 680m

Paul Kadoshnikov

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9679.jpg

actually my heatsink did have all of the heat pads, i just didnt pay too much attention when i did it the first time.

Those are the copper shims, that was my attempt after i soldered them together, it didnt work too well so i went back to a single layer shim

I recommend some ICD7 over a copper shim. Works amazingly well on my system.

For starters, that a ton of thermal paste. You don't need that much, even though I understand that you are bridging a gap. After a certain point it negatively affects your temps.

Glad to see you've fixed the temps though.

the mem is 2 CORSAIR 8GB VENGEANCE 1600 sticks. and so far a havent hit 90 C. with like pcsx2 its only been as high as 73 C i believe with turbo fans it stays below 60 C. in tf2 it stays below 75C. what would really help is an easy EC maker... i havent reread that one thread yet and probably should, but a better fan control would also keep the temps better.

All i have to say is the copper shim in-between the gpu and heatsink really did help.

(havent been on much since i just moved into my college dorm in a neighboring city.... only ethernet cable access in dorm rooms and wifi not allowed in dorm area.... its hell!)

i have to say is the copper shim in-between the gpu and heatsink really did help.

So how many copper shims you put with the latest test you did? You soldered the shims on the gpu heatsink? 2cm x 2cm x 0.7mm (is this the exact die size of the gpu)? I ordered copper shimms same with the same specs u told me.. i am going to thermal adhesive the shims on the gpu heatsink to have a better heat dissipation. Or try your method first, put the shims in between the gpu die and gpu heatsink

So how many copper shims you put with the latest test you did? You soldered the shims on the gpu heatsink? 2cm x 2cm x 0.7mm (is this the exact die size of the gpu)? I ordered copper shimms same with the same specs u told me.. i am going to thermal adhesive the shims on the gpu heatsink to have a better heat dissipation. Or try your method first, put the shims in between the gpu die and gpu heatsink

What i did was put thermal paste inbetween the gpu and shim, and between the shim and heatsink so:

------------Heatsink-------------

---------Thermal Paste-----------

----------Copper Shim------------

---------Thermal Paste-----------

----------Graphics Card----------

^thats what i did and it made a huge difference. And yeah i used just one copper shim (2cm x 2cm x 0.7mm) that size.

I tried two shims but it was too tall and not good so stick with just one.

With 2 shims the temp was just 1 C higher, but the gpu was being pressed on pretty hard.

with the one copper shim it was a max of 13 C difference in 3dmark 11