msi gt70 Really high GPU temps even after repaste with 680m

Paul Kadoshnikov

Alright, so my Gpu has hit very high temps, like today i hit 96 C in Company of Heroes (cpu hit 68 C). I have repasted 3 times with shin etsu x23, and arctic silver 5. right now the arctic silver 5 is applied. I have the MSI 1762 barebone flashed with the gt 70 ONE bios, I7 3610qm, gtx 680m, the 680m is flashed with svl7's OC msi bios (i have the msi 680m). these are with stock clock and voltage. i have to note the fans were not full speed when it was at 96, it was more of the slightly annoying level.

What could possibly be the issue. could it be that the gt 70 bios isnt working properly with the barebone? is it the OC 680m bios running it to 96C? how can i ensure the gpu and heatsink are actually tight fitting? when i went to repaste my repastes, i can see that there was contact because the paste moved as it would when you tighten the heatsink.

If anyone has a link to a better EC for the barebone that would be nice as well, but 96C is really high for me.

Make sure to apply AS5 correct, spread it very thin with a razor or creditcard and screw it back on tight, screw it off again and see how it spreads and when satisfied clean, and redo.

Make sure to apply AS5 correct, spread it very thin with a razor or creditcard and screw it back on tight, screw it off again and see how it spreads and when satisfied clean, and redo.

Well, i have. ive done that twice on the cpu and gpu so far to ensure it spread well, as well as the 3 repaste testdrives, and the cpu seems to be fine now, but not the gpu. i have made sure the spread looks good before the heatsink. im wondering if this is a gpu to heatsink issue somehow... it was also was hitting 93 or so before the repaste... so it seems like maybe its not a paste issue

I had this issue before with my msi gt60 and with gtx680m. The screws where soo tight also but hitting @96 degrees while playing dx11 games like BF3.. I did put several pads that must be put on the chips, re-paste several times but to no avail the temps on BF3 still reaches 96 degrees celcius. Then in one forum a member told me that the gpu is not in full contact with the heat sink. What I did is I literally remove the heat sink and the mxm gpu. (While looking at the gpu/heatsink) to my surprise, the gpu is not in contact with the heatsink. I replaced a 0.5m on the mem chips and took off several pads until the gpu touches the heatsink.. Put some copper shims on the gpu heatsink to lower the gpu temps and successfully the temps lowered. While playing dx games like BF3 I still reach temps (gradually) of up to 93 degrees but temp lowers drastically after the game level finishes. I am still waiting for my pair of shims to arrive in my place so that i put additional copper shims.

I had this issue before with my msi gt60 and with gtx680m. The screws where soo tight also but hitting @96 degrees while playing dx11 games like BF3.. I did put several pads that must be put on the chips, re-paste several times but to no avail the temps on BF3 still reaches 96 degrees celcius. Then in one forum a member told me that the gpu is not in full contact with the heat sink. What I did is I literally remove the heat sink and the mxm gpu. (While looking at the gpu/heatsink) to my surprise, the gpu is not in contact with the heatsink. I replaced a 0.5m on the mem chips and took off several pads until the gpu touches the heatsink.. Put some copper shims on the gpu heatsink to lower the gpu temps and successfully the temps lowered. While playing dx games like BF3 I still reach temps (gradually) of up to 93 degrees but temp lowers drastically after the game level finishes. I am still waiting for my pair of shims to arrive in my place so that i put additional copper shims.

about how many shims or at what thickness are the shims? do i apply thermal paste and shims together? or do i somehow adhere the shim to the heatsink? do i just put it inbetween and just attach the heatsink? or do i apply thermal paste to gpu, place shim, apply paste to shim, then place on heatsink? just wanting to get everything straight before i do it

@Paul Kadoshnikov

remove all paste,thermalpads and stick card and heatsink - check if gpu sticks with heatsinks and also ram should sticks with heatsinks- then you can use paste on ram and ofcourse for gpu core

if you don't like paste on ram then use 0.5mm thermalpads on ram

so basically anywhere highlighted should have either padding, shim, or paste then right? (http://static07.techinferno.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/680M-308x370.jpg) because when i repasted the vertical right column of 4 did not have anything but the horizontal few at the top had some adhesive.

and thanks will buy some shims on ebay

awesome, ill also take some pics when i redo it cause i asked another member how their gpu was adhered, and apparently im missing thermal pads on the ram modules. so maybe that will do some good as well. thanks you guys<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

here's the pic of my gpu heatsink.

post-7316-14494994177164_thumb.jpg

I put some copper shims on the heatpipes and removed the thermal pads, cleaned it and put a thermal adhesive instead. The heat transfer is very effective and the back plate can be closed with the original screws. Still waiting for the next batch of copper shims i ordered.

ok since there is really nothing to post picture wise ill try to textually describe everything, I took the gpu out (even though it wasnt necessary) and i simply put a copper shim 2 cm X 2cm X .7 mm and put shin etsu x23 on both sides re applied the gpu and now im getting a max of 79 C on 3d mark 11. im contemplating putting a double layer of shims to see if it lowers it more. what temps are you recieving Omega939?

update: hit 89 C in metro 2033

On Crysis2 I'm hitting max of 85 degrees celsius.. But in bf2 max temp gradually reaches at 93 degrees celsius... It would be better if you could post a pic on where u put that on your heatsink or put a link of that shin etsu so that i can get one too, btw... What monitoring software u using for 3dmark11

On Crysis2 I'm hitting max of 85 degrees celsius.. But in bf2 max temp gradually reaches at 93 degrees celsius... It would be better if you could post a pic on where u put that on your heatsink or put a link of that shin etsu so that i can get one too, btw... What monitoring software u using for 3dmark11

well the copper shims is different than the fins you got. i used a flat one between the gpu and heatsink. (6X DV2000 DV6000 DV9000 TX1000 F500 F700 Copper Shim | eBay)

i bought the shin etsu x23 from ebay, and hopefully its the legit stuff: 2G Shinetsu Thermal Heatsink Compound Paste Grey x23 7783D for Overclocking | eBay

monitoring software was Gpuz and throttle stop

Whats the temp before and after u put that shim on 3dmark 11? It would be better if u put a 2x2x.5 shim. The thinnest. U might bend the mxm board that much. So rhat u can either apply a thermal adhesive on the other heatsink side. Then apply a thermal paste pn the gpu side. Im thinking both of our ideas beneficial though :-D