G75VWw/660M - replace graphic card?

660m / 680m board is about 82x105mm and the heatsink mounting holes are in a square of 46mm side length.

Anyway, replacing the GPU won't work, your system has no software mechanisms to read out the vbios of a regular MXM card, Asus put the vbios in the BIOS.

660m / 680m board is about 82x105mm and the heatsink mounting holes are in a square of 46mm side length.

Anyway, replacing the GPU won't work, your system has no software mechanisms to read out the vbios of a regular MXM card, Asus put the vbios in the BIOS.

Okey :( Possible to modify the vbios with new script for the 680m ?

I truly hope that asus releases a upgrade kit with 680m or better since G-series is totally outstanding!

BTW Sadly my keyboard backlight doesn´t work anymore after ur vbios mod :(

Is there anyway of doing a voltage tweak on the vbios ? I want to go even higher than 1300/1600 tongue.png

Okey :( Possible to modify the vbios with new script for the 680m ?

I truly hope that asus releases a upgrade kit with 680m or better since G-series is totally outstanding!

BTW Sadly my keyboard backlight doesn´t work anymore after ur vbios mod :(

Is there anyway of doing a voltage tweak on the vbios ? I want to go even higher than 1300/1600 tongue.png

FIX KEYBOARD LIGHT by Gary Key:

Keyboard Light Fix (Gary Key)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick questions folks, even if it would sound stupid. I'm also interrested in replacing my video card (actually 660m) with a fermi 670m (found it for a good price Vs the 300 more pounds for a G75VW model with this card). Since fermi are more power consuming, would i need to change anything from the power supply side ?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Okey Possible to modify the vbios with new script for the 680m ?

Is there anyway of doing a voltage tweak on the vbios ? I want to go even higher than 1300/1600 tongue.png<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Asus have their own way of making GPU's to their laptops (They dont comply to mxm standards). So with your question nope. I think svl7 can tweak the settings of core speed and mem speed or even tweak the voltage of the gpu and thats it... If you want to buy a high end rig and you still want asus then you just wait for them to release a new laptop with a new gpu model. That is the asus way

• 3 weeks later...

This is kinda sad... reminds me of the soldered RAM cards in the macbooks, but what can one do... Maybe if one insists a lot they can release a utility to modify the voltage and be able to modify the computer to a greater extent... I have seen svl7's vbios but that mod gets to a limit, althou awesome mod

• 3 weeks later...

At nbr there is an extense discussion about this. I was involved into it as well and concluded that there had to be done chassis tweaks, Bios tweaks, spending on a 680m that might not even work.... and much more. We got to a stage in which somebody was a bout to try it but then everything stopped and the project was almost left. I have G75 myself and as much as I want it to be possible I concluded that it is much better to wait for newer G series or even buy the new VX wich comes with the 670mx.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised a few of you guys are talking about trying to replace the gpu on a $1400 laptop. Would a modded bios or 680 make that much difference in gaming or is this more about "doing it because you can?"

• 2 weeks later...
I'm surprised a few of you guys are talking about trying to replace the gpu on a $1400 laptop. Would a modded bios or 680 make that much difference in gaming or is this more about "doing it because you can?"

I know for me, the simple fact of being able to is satisfying enough. The engineer in me loves these kinds of challenges. However, I have read the thread in it's entirety that guido7142 has mentioned. Hundreds of pages later, I've come to the conclusion that it is possible physically with extreme case modification. But the software side? As far as I know, none of us are capable of rewriting the vbios. Unless anyone has worked at Asus or could maybe get a friend who works there to help develop a vbios for a standard MXM, I don't think it will happen. =(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread looked very promissing before OP stopped updating on it: Got around to modding the old G75VX Update: Looks like this guy from thread above is just talkin big but produces little or nothing actualy. Here is another thread I found and I am sure its one and same person. And it is specialy interesting to read second page in that thread as guys got to realise hes nothing but misleadingpeople to say least. Here is link: G75VX + 220w psu + OC = Need more power

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I am still working on a finding a good modded bios for the g75vw ASUS computer and after reading this thread, I believe I will just attempt the software route for improvements before a complete upgrade on my laptop video card.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for that info! I almost bought a 670 card, and did not know about the vBIOS being integrated... I'll definitely be content with the 660...

• 4 months later...

I've got a 670MX for my G75VW, but I haven't got the tools to edit my BIOS to include the vBIOS. I got mine for a good deal (around $300) and noticed that I can sell my 660M for around the same price, so I'd definitely recommend it if you can upgrade for (nearly) free.

• 1 month later...

So in conclusion: there´s not any way to change the gpu of our g75, i have the intention to change the card from 670M to Quadro K5100M extracted from Dell Inspiron 6000 but there is any proof of we cant change the card? greetings

• 1 month later...

Asus uses rectangular mxm3 slots, normal cards are square.

Also, I think Asus is using a reversed mxm3 socket, while others are normal, whatever that means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...