TH05 Recall Notice

just received the following from them via email:

*** Promotion by Jan 25th *** USD150 Coupon for TH05 Recall, Hurry up!

Now, we have promotion for TH05 recall;

- Get USD150 Bplus Coupon!

- Free shipping fee!

- By Jan 25th! (4 day only!)

- TH05 & shipping fee fully Refund, of course!

If you ship your TH05 back to us in this week by Jan 25th,

we will provide USD150 coupon of Bplus products.

It's free shipping! you can get Bplus products

worth exact amount of USD150.

Here is example of TH05-100B (USD180) refund;

- TH05-100B : USD180

- Shipping fee at TH05-100B shipping : USD28

- Bplus USD150 Coupon : Free

- Shipping free USD28 for goods by coupon : Free

= Total USD386 (USD208 Refund and worth USD178 promotion).

Hurry up to ship TH05 and inform FedEx number to us!

If you have questions about this promotion, please give us reply.

like with everyone else... they'll get their TH05 when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

seriously though, i dont really understand why they're so excited to get these back... tried just asking them what their motivation is, waiting for reply...

like with everyone else... they'll get their TH05 when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

seriously though, i dont really understand why they're so excited to get these back... tried just asking them what their motivation is, waiting for reply...

They are certainly enthusiastic to give people refunds along with coupons. Maybe they are doing all they can to please whoever is driving the recall (Intel/Apple?).

I'm might entertain the idea if it was a US$386 paypal refund so could purchase a OWC Helios or Sonnet Echo Express SE. Though then their basic 60W/75W enclosure to get Intel certfication would just a nuisance. I'd rip it apart, take the board out and figure a way to run a ATX PSU through it in the exact same way a TH05 works. Though then it would lack the PERST# delay setting needed for some of these Macbook implementations.

So a TH05 was a much better product for my needs to begin with, even if it delivers 89% of the performance of the Helios/Sonnet.

Why does whoever is driving this recall (Intel/Apple??) need to be such a fun-wrecking control freak?

Now if BPlus moved their August 2013 timeline for the TH04 to be Feb/March 2013 then I might consider it. The refund + BPlus voucher would presumably get me a TH04 + enclosure solution that works for me since it has external ATX PSU input. Just hope the Intel certification doesn't mean they need to remove the PERST# delay. Doing so would then force the pci-e initialization problem back on Apple to fix their UEFI firmware so it would work in the plug-and-play manner that Intel Certification requires.

They are certainly enthusiastic to give people refunds along with coupons. Maybe they are doing all they can to please whoever is driving the recall (Intel/Apple?).

I'm might entertain the idea if it was a US$386 paypal refund so could purchase a OWC Helios or Sonnet Echo Express SE. Though then their basic 60W/75W enclosure to get Intel certfication would just a nuisance. I'd rip it apart, take the board out and figure a way to run a ATX PSU through it in the exact same way a TH05 works. Though then it would lack the PERST# delay setting needed for some of these Macbook implementations.

So a TH05 was a much better product for my needs to begin with, even if it delivers 89% of the performance of the Helios/Sonnet.

Why does whoever is driving this recall (Intel/Apple??) need to be such a fun-wrecking control freak?

Now if BPlus moved their August 2013 timeline for the TH04 to be Feb/March 2013 then I might consider it. The refund + BPlus voucher would presumably get me a TH04 + enclosure solution that works for me since it has external ATX PSU input. Just hope the Intel certification doesn't mean they need to remove the PERST# delay. Doing so would then force the pci-e initialization problem back on Apple to fix their UEFI firmware so it would work in the plug-and-play manner that Intel Certification requires.

I will give you $400 for you TH05.

Message me :)

Hello everybody!

I wish to make a thunderbolt egpu but i found out that TH05 from bplus is no longer an option since intel murdered it.

after googling alot, i realise that all the thunderbolt-to-pcie options such as the magma, sonnet, netstor and owc are seriously overpriced since they were targeting professionals who wouldn't mind paying more.

what i want is to just find an adaptor, i don't care about power supplies or enclosures.

but i fail finding anything, as if the only company that produced this was bplus...

so are there any companies offering only adaptors like the th05?

Unfortunately no, BPlus was the only company offering just the board. I've just purchased an OWC Helios and as soon as it arrives I'll be testing it with my 7950, I'll let you guys know how that goes.

so the cheapest way to make this happen is the owc helios right?

so the cheapest way to make this happen is the owc helios right?

not necessarily. there still is the echo expresscard pro from sonnet. this supports pcie 2.0 x1 over expresscard. i used the non-pro version of this, which only supplies pcie 1.0 x1, when first putting an egpu over thunderbolt.

Sonnet - Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter

you will have to purchase the breakout board for expresscard to the full pcie x16 keepout that most graphics cards use. you can still get all these at bplus' website.

the sonnet adapter goes for about $140. a power supply is about $30, and you can find and the expresscard->pcie breakout is about $70 on bplus' website.

good luck.

all, there is still the sonnet echo expresscard pro, which supports the same pcie gen2 x1 as the th05. you can still get the expresscard->pcie breakout board from bplus.

a solution for thunderbolt still exists, albeit at a slightly higher price point. total would probably be a little over $200 without external power supply.

heck you can even go with the non-pro version like i did 6 months ago. it's under $100, but will only support pcie gen1 x1, and will have some performance.

10Gbps options - recommended for internal LCD solutions using Optimus/Virtu

OWC Helios or Sonnet Echo Express SE are the cheapest remaining Thunderbolt enclosures. Last I checked they started at $313 on google shopping. Add another $40-$50 for the Thunderbolt cable. Just be aware that you may need to:

1. Remove the board from the enclosure since these budget units can only host single-width or half length cards.

2. Solder in wiring to allow an ATX PSU to drive it instead of the supplied DC adapter (if it's less than 75W) OR you don't want two PSUs driving your final creation.

3. If using a Macbook, these other Thunderbolt enclosures likely do not have the PERST# delay switch for eGPU detection. BIOS mode being the method used so far to get some models (Retina, 2012 Air) to have both the iGPU and eGPU working concurrently. That being a necessity to drive the internal LCD using either NVidia Optimus or Lucidlogix Virtu (AMD).

5Gbps options

1. <A HREF="http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html">$170 Sonnet Echo Expresscard Pro</A> Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter paired with a US$71 PE4L-EC060A 2.1, US$91 PE4H-EC060A 2.4 or US$170 PE4H 3.2 pci-e to expresscard adapter.

2. Attempt a mPCIe implementations using the wifi slot with a US$71 <A HREF="http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4L.html">PE4L-L060A</A> + PM3N.

3. Get rid of your Thunderbolt notebook and get an expresscard 2.0 capable one instead and do a straight 5Gbps expresscard 2.0 implementation using either a US$71 PE4L-EC060A, US$91 PE4H-060A 2.4 or US$170 PE4H-EC060A 3.2.

TH05 recall a major stumbling block. Maybe wait till 2014 for 20Gbps Thunderbolt?

IN short, whoever drove the TH05 recall (Intel?) did a major disservice to our community. We no longer have the ability to add low budget but highly functional eGPU solutions to TBT systems.

Intel/Apple provided 2x10Gbps channels in 2011-2013 Thunderbolt but reserved the second exclusively for Displayport traffic. If they allowed us to have a 1x20Gbps instead channel then we'd get x4 2.0 performance levels which are ~ 95% of desktop levels if using an AMD card.

Have to wait till 2014 Thunderbolt is released to get 20Gbps down the pci-e channel. That's when I predict vendors like LucidLogix, MSI or even NVidia/AMD will deliver commercial eGPU solutions.

Nando, you can work around the perst delay issue by using an expansion cable and isolating all power rails on pins 1-11, side A and B. These are the only pins on pcie that provide power.

See wikipedia article on power distribution. PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you need to do is hook up the 12V (molex) connector to your ATX power supply. You can short 2 pins on your ATX power supply to get it to turn on and off manually like an AT power supply. Here's how I did mine. How do I manually turn on an ATX power supply? | techPowerUp

If your ATX power supply has a switch on the back, then you can use this as your PERST delay switch.

I used this cable, $18.99 plus shipping. PCIe x16 Extender Cable w/ Molex Connector

The 3.3V power is a little tricky. I had to tap a SATA cable on the power supply.

Then you can hook up pin PCIE pin 11A, power good, to ATX pin 8, power ok/good (gray wire).

The PCIE auxiliary cables that some graphics cards require just hook up normally to the egpu.

1) Turn on macbook.

2) Select Windows boot.

3) Wait 5 seconds, then turn on PSU switch. Boot into windows.

OR If you've got the diy egpu software installed, selected it, turn on ATX PSU, then hit enter and select option 2 to verify your egpu is working.

4) chainload to MBR and load up windows. If your egpu isn't detected, power down PSU, rescan with f5, and it should show up now.

Some power supplies take a few seconds to discharge and for the power rails to go idle, so sometimes rescanning may be required. With mine detection of the egpu works every time with my sonnet echo express pro.

Thanks for the patient reply MystPhysx. I actually repeated that and asked about esata as well. Its just frustration, I was very much looking forward to getting very close to desktop performance through egpu at this point. But thanks for clearing that up again. :) TB raised my hopes a lot and now we go into waiting again.

I myself waited quite a while for the gigabyte u2442 (I think it had socketed CPU's and TB, or was supposed to) but then finally caved in and bought a Lenovo W520 (2820qm + Quadro2000m) because I needed CUDA for video editing as well. It turned out to be a surprisingly capable gaming machine as well (skyrim is surprisingly playable 1080p, all high, 2xAA), but the CPU temps soar up to 92 to 95 degrees celsius during quad core optimized games (Crysis 2, GTA 4, Planetside 2) and there is a lot of throttling without throttlestop. An egpu solution is important or I could face huge problems in a while. Even a laptop cooler isn't cutting it for me. I dont know how people with 15 inch gaming laptops cope.

Nando, you can work around the perst delay issue by using an expansion cable and isolating all power rails on pins 1-11, side A and B. These are the only pins on pcie that provide power.

See wikipedia article on power distribution. PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you need to do is hook up the 12V (molex) connector to your ATX power supply. You can short 2 pins on your ATX power supply to get it to turn on and off manually like an AT power supply. Here's how I did mine. How do I manually turn on an ATX power supply? | techPowerUp

If your ATX power supply has a switch on the back, then you can use this as your PERST delay switch.

I used this cable, $18.99 plus shipping. PCIe x16 Extender Cable w/ Molex Connector

The 3.3V power is a little tricky. I had to tap a SATA cable on the power supply.

Then you can hook up pin PCIE pin 11A, power good, to ATX pin 8, power ok/good (gray wire).

The PCIE auxiliary cables that some graphics cards require just hook up normally to the egpu.

1) Turn on macbook.

2) Select Windows boot.

3) Wait 5 seconds, then turn on PSU switch. Boot into windows.

OR If you've got the diy egpu software installed, selected it, turn on ATX PSU, then hit enter and select option 2 to verify your egpu is working.

4) chainload to MBR and load up windows. If your egpu isn't detected, power down PSU, rescan with f5, and it should show up now.

Some power supplies take a few seconds to discharge and for the power rails to go idle, so sometimes rescanning may be required. With mine detection of the egpu works every time with my sonnet echo express pro.

Are you having to use an additional power supply or only the one supplied with the Sonnet?

Also, is everything sealed up in the Sonnet, or do you have to have it open to jump the PSU?

Send us a Pic or post a YouTube please. I think it would really help some if us that are stuck in the dark.

Thanks!

Are you having to use an additional power supply or only the one supplied with the Sonnet?

Also, is everything sealed up in the Sonnet, or do you have to have it open to jump the PSU?

Send us a Pic or post a YouTube please. I think it would really help some if us that are stuck in the dark.

Thanks!

an additional power supply. I'll try to post a youtube at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

<embed id="xunlei_com_thunder_helper_plugin_d462f475-c18e-46be-bd10-327458d045bd" type="application/thunder_download_plugin" height="0" width="0">hi,guys

I have sent a mail to the company that produced former TH05, asking when the newer TH05 adapter would be available.

It seems that TH05 will no longer be developed.

The following is email from them:

Hi HuYi,

Sorry, our TH05 already EOL.

And we have no plan to develop new PCIe to Thunderbolt adapter.

Best Regards,

Roger

This is another mail from their Chinese clerk, says the same: they will not develop new PCIe to thunderbolt adapter. I posted it if you can read Chinese:

Hello,

不好意思,这款产品暂时不会再销售了!

我司目前有EXPRESS /mini PCIe卡槽转PCIe产品,转thunderbolt的产品暂时都不会再销售!

You can also ask them yourself about TH05:

[email protected]

<embed id="xunlei_com_thunder_helper_plugin_d462f475-c18e-46be-bd10-327458d045bd" type="application/thunder_download_plugin" height="0" width="0">

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this email here. Although there was already an announcement that the TH05 was discontinued (http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2680-th05-recall-notice.html#post36363) your email gives us new information.

Unfortunately this is really bad news if it is true that they "have no plan to develop new PCIe to Thunderbolt adapter".... :/

• 3 months later...

Is there any place that still sells TH05 new or used even? Otherwise, what is the next best solution for someone who wants to play games on an external monitor from their laptop?