Glossy or matte(anti-glare)

My vote goes with a matte finish. I think glossy screens tend to have better color, but they are completely useless in a well lit environment and this enrages me.

I´m feeling the same, the colors on a glossy feels more vibrant and clear.

But in anything else then a pitch dark room all those reflections will put me off so my vote needs to go to the matte screens.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Toshiba Satellite had a glossy screen, and it was a pain to use when sunlight shone through my windows. Now I have a Gigabyte laptop with a matte screen, and I'm enjoying it very much. Can't really compare the two screens in terms of colors and performance, since their age and technology difference is obviously an influential factor.

• 4 weeks later...

About 6-8 years ago I had a lenovo thinkpad with a great matte display, very clear, very crisp. Since then Ive had 2 or 3 more matte screens, and none of them have been as good as that first Thinkpad I had. They all seem to have that sparkly effect, and it really strains my eyes.

Because of this, ive been swaping glossy panels in everything I get with a matte display. Im doing it right now in the p150sm I just got with the matte (didnt have option for glossy).

Dont know why, but ive never had a matte display as good as the first thinkpad, my vote goes to glossy.

• 3 weeks later...

i like a nice gloss screen for viewing media. but its so hard to find good lighting conditions, and the increased quality in Matte displays, hands down Matte at this point. my 15.6" 95% gamut Matte is brighter and clearer then my 13" glossy. 5 years ago, was a different story.....

• 2 weeks later...

I've had both Glossy and Matte and I must say that the right choice really depends on your needs because if you plan on using it indoors then I'd say glossy all the way as the colors are just better but if you are going to use it outside I'd say go for the matte as the glossy screen really struggle in the sunlight compared to the matte. In my opinion the matte screen is the way to go because it goes everywhere and the colors are still really good.