Glossy or matte(anti-glare)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I changed out my G46VW 768p screen for a 1080p. Both were matte. As much as the "pop" from the glossy screen is something to look at, I saw the gamut and such is nice and high on my upgrade so I'm happy. The colors are nice and rich and really, really nice overall. Since I do use my gaming laptop for school as well, matte becomes my perfect option because of the non-glare. Though my phone is shiny glass so you can take as you will. While, sure the non-glare does make some things look "hazy" or make it where you can see pixels or whatever you want to say about it, the screen looks nice and really when you're playing games, you don't notice it. Besides, get a high resolution panel and its not much of a worry. Now, if you had like a 768p screen with anti-glare....well, then thats a different story. Its more personal preference but I really do enjoy my matte and its now where all my screens are matte except for my phone and PS Vita.

Glossy vs Matte all comes down to function. Glossy displays covers vividly, but shows glare (hence the name glossy); matte shows no glare but the colors aren't as vivid.

While that may be true, I kind of disagree. I have a really high Gamut and Viewing angle screen on my G46VW and its glare. That sucker looks freaking amazing. The colors definately pop and I truely think its more based on the quality of the display and the anti-glare layer then anything. However, on average, you are right. Colors are dull, usually, on matte. It was like so on my old screen. I really cant go back lol

I've had laptops with matte screens and laptops with glossy screens. Never really cared too much until I decided to get a 24" external monitor. Now, I have a Dell S2440L (glossy) and an Asus VS248H-P (matte) sitting on my desk. One is getting returned tomorrow, and it's very likely going to be the Dell. The screen looks really nice, but the gloss is just too much.

Matte for me!

• 4 weeks later...

it is definitely a preference thing.

glossy looks better if u can keep from looking at yourself in the reflection and do not intend to use it outdoors or in other bright lighting.

I have 1 LT that is glossy and I immediately put a matte protector on it as with 2 tablets.

Fortunately, they r available and work well so I don't worry about it any more but must factor the extra $20. into the cost.

I get the least matte Photodon version. I think it is like 25% (maybe less). Perfect for me.

• 1 month later...

I tend to lean towards matte screens, why? Well micro-scratches and dirt are less obvious on matte screens, the glossy ones just accentuate them under glare or harsh lighting.

I have a matte screen-protector on my Galaxy S4 as well!

• 5 weeks later...

Matte, definitely. I can't stand seeing stuff going on behind me. I have a Sony touchscreen that's glossy and it's constantly filthy, drives me crazy. My previous/other computers that have had glossy screens all got matte screen protectors put on them, including my much loved HP Touchsmart. My Y510p actually has a beautiful matte screen, one of the best I've ever had (and a host of non-screen issues as well).

As has been outlined several times, it is a personal preference thing. If the laptop is always indoors and in favourable lighting, gloss may provide that extra bit of saturation for games.. however I prefer a high gamut matte that allows a bit of flexibility in viewing angles and such, and I prefer not to see every bit of dust and finger mark! I swear you can just look at a gloss screen and it smudges..

Ever since I got a glossy screen on my Dell Vostro 1500 years and years ago I've been wishing that more of my displays had it. Hell, I wish my desktop monitor had it - it just helps the screen "pop" and look better than its specs would imply. I mean, I guess if it were a workstation where any kind of distraction or reflection would end up really bothering you, then matte would be the way to go.

Glossy on laptops can make sense when they're 15.6" and larger, I think. Those kinds of laptops are more likely to be used as Desktop Replacements, so heavy glare from the sun isn't quite as big a concern, whereas the improved image quality would get you a better experience for gaming and video media consumption.

I have a glossy screen at my surface pro and an anti glare at my y510p. The brightness of the surface display is so good, that when I use it outside their is not much difference to my y510p and the colour of the glossy display is much nicer in my opinion. But when I use them on half display brightness, like on battery, the lenovo is much better with the anti glare display. I dont like fingerprints on glossy displays and I use my Notebook mostly inside, thats why i would buy an anti-glare display for my next notebook.

by the way - why did apple stop to give you the option for anti glare displays? I remember that this option was available back in times.

sry for my English