Glossy or matte(anti-glare)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to give my feeling,my laptop is m6700 with a ips-rgb led screen,anti-glare,but it does really hurt my eyes and really exhausted,just like a mirror.

so if you longtime sit front of screen,the gloss is better.

forgive my terrible english.

If you can control the light environment where you're going to use it a glossy screen to me gives it a more vibrant feel colorwise.

But, if you plan to use it indoors or inside with the sun glare through the window, get a matte and never look back :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The last time I used a matte display was on a desktop CRT monitor (did they even make those in gloss?), and that was way way back in 1997. Ever since then I've only been using glossy displays. My workplace uses matte displays, and apart from the reduced glare, the colors appear to be more vibrant on the glossy, whereas the matte it's a bit dull/flat (if that made sense).

Having used matte practically all my LCD life, after being introduced to glossy IPS, I find the picture quality slightly better as it does not have that blur-ish grainy effect. But in order to get that advantage, you will need to use your laptop in situations that does not allow for much reflections, such as brightly lit areas, etc. In such places, you'll most likely to be annoyed by the reflections than being able to enjoy the picture quality.

Well in a brightly lit room I imagine the reflections may get a bit annoying if you're using glossy.

That being said I'm either not too picky or have gotten completely de-sensitized to reflections from the glossy screen so I don't mind them at all. To me that is an insignificant price to pay for not having "grainy" textures and better color depth.

For me:

-Glossy: Seems to work well only in darker interior rooms. They look "crisp" and pretty. It is absolutely obnoxious anywhere there is anything bright. Windows, lights, and the sky are enemies. All of that is exacerbated if you are working with someone and letting them look at your screen. Anti-glare mineral coatings are sometimes applied to very hard plastics or glass. They can help quite a bit.

-Matte: The best if you plan on anything out and about, around windows, or lights. I've ended up working at the coffee shop with my screen pointed down at my stomach just so I can read. Plus, if anyone else wants to look at it you have to turn the laptop so THEY dont see it.

I see this whole issue as an annoying marketing issue for manufactures to differentiate between business grade and consumer grade.

I prefer glossy in a dark room where reflections are a non issue. I went with dual glossy displays for my desktop and really enjoy them. My room is dark with controlled lighting so everything is crisp and colors "pop" in games.

Overall I prefer matte, just because it's more versatile IMO. Glossy is terrible when there is a lot of ambient light, and the reflections can be distracting. I have a matte display on my Alienware 14 and wouldn't have it any other way on a laptop. Matte displays can look slightly grainy depending on how aggressive the coating is, but I prefer a slightly grainy display over reflections.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Y500 with a glossy screen. After about a year playing different games I realised that eye fatigue was tremendous due to onscreen reflections. Had to keep moving my head around to make out what was on the screen behind the reflections. This was beginning to literally be a pain in the neck, esp. during stealth games.One solution was to sit in an absolutely dark room. But that was not possible every time. So I got a matte screen protector installed. And the difference is amazing. There are almost no discernible reflections even in brightly lit rooms and I can enjoy my games once more :)

Definitely glossy. I have a high quality matte screen and hate every minute of it. The image is not as clear as I would have wanted it to be because of the layer that stops the glaring. If you want clear, bright and more pooping-out colors, definitely glossy.

This is a mostly subjective thing and it will vary widely based on individual preferences and work environment. This is no real right or wrong answer. I have had, at the very least, a dozen laptops with each type of screen and I like glossy a whole lot better than matte screen. Glossy is not great for outdoor viewing, but for just about everything else it is superior IMHO. If I were going out shopping for a new machine and had two otherwise identical units with the specs I wanted, I would take the machine with the glossy display.

Anti-glare is not a matte finish. They are very different. Matte is very dull and non-reflective. When turned off, a matte screen show fingerprints, dirty smudges, water spots, and signs of wear (scuff marks, ugly shiny spots, etc.) a lot worse than a glossy display. With a casual glance the anti-glare does not seem massively different than glossy until you start paying closer attention. Side-by-side they are noticeably different.

When it comes to glossy or matt, I always prefer the Glossy.

The main reason is because I prefer the colour, and also you can get matt filters for glossy screens but not the other way round.

So if your traveling with it, put a filter on top :)

Thats just my 2 cents, but can perfectly understand why matt is most popular.

I always go with matte if the option is available. It feels more "real" and accurate to my eyes, not to mention that it doesn't reflect light which is the big reason why i choose it. Once you are in the room with lights hitting your screen, it doesn't matter how good it is, the reflection will just ruin it.

Glossy may look nice and has richer colors, specifically blacks, but in my opinion the benefits doesn't outweigh the disadvantage of reflection.

• 2 weeks later...