Glossy or matte(anti-glare)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only matte. Nowadays more and more notebooks have glare screens. And sometimes i want to ask: why do you do this?

Agreed! Had a clevo x7200, still have rather, with its glossy screen, but my clevo p570wn and its matte screen looks much better, I'm never going glossy again

I have a matte and had glossy for many years before. After using matte again, I will not go back to glossy anytime soon. Seeing reflections for me nullifies any benefits you may have with a high gamut, detailed quality display.

My old thinkpad had a matte sceen whereas my new ideapad y500 has a glossy screen. I really enjoy the new glossy screen although I can start to see why so many people are bothered by the reflections. Time will tell whether I will become just as annoyed.

I tend to prefer the matte screens since I mostly use a laptop. I've used glossy screen laptops before and it is annoying seeing everything except what actually displaying on the screen. I currently have a G75VW with a matte display, and while it's not the best matte display out there (a little bit too grainy IMO), it still beats using a glossy display outdoors or in well lit rooms.

goodluck with your choices for matte screens.. as most gadgets/screens this days are glossy.. not to mention the gorilla glass hype we are experiencing, but I agree they look good. I prefer glossy as they have better image quality, I hope they can reduce the amount of dirt it can gather, my fingerprints are all over it sigh! jasonbourne aint touchin my screen

As an avid movie enthusiast, I prefer a glossy screen for the colors and detail that it gives. Yes, a matte will forever be better in high sunlight applications, but the pros to a gloss screen outweigh the cons in my particular situation. I have my laptop connected to a 32inch monitor which has a semi-matte screen anyways for daytime use, so the best of both worlds!

I have a matte 19 inch monitor and when compared to the typical 15.6inch glossy displays on most laptops nowadays, it has both its cons and pros. In daylight conditions, the matte screen completely blows away any glossy display. The colours are vibrant enough and there is absolutely no reflections noticeable (at least to me). In a dark room, the black suffers as I can clearly notice the difference between the glossy bezel and screen.

Glossy displays are 'alright' if you ask me, particularly when browsing the internet where the reflections aren't as noticeable as they are in dark scenes in movies for example which can be extremely annoying at times. Add to it, most of the panels used nowadays are very cheap and suffer huge colour shifts even when your eyes are exactly centred to it.

Perhaps if they start using more IPS panels in the future, I may eventually come to like glossy displays, but for now, matte is personal favourite.

My y500 had a glossy screen until I put on a matte-finished screen protector. Now I missed my glossy screen because the protector makes the screen look grainy. In terms of reflection I don't notice it much when I have my laptop on, but I do think glossy screen gives a better image quality.

I tend to think that glossy screens look better, but only under ideal conditions. Matte screens have always faired better for me all around because I don't see my reflection and the light behind me all the time.

I've had both on laptops and to be honest, I can't figure out which works best for me. On the one hand glossy appears to have high contrast but all the reflection can be very annoying. In a bright environment having matte at least allows you to see the screen but suffers from low contrast.

• 2 weeks later...

On my desktop pc, I've a glossy display : It has reflects everywhere so it's kinda annoying. Right now, I've a laptop with a fine matt display (17" 1920x1080) from a GE70 0nd and I can use it wherever I want without bothering of windows.

• 2 weeks later...
My y500 had a glossy screen until I put on a matte-finished screen protector. Now I missed my glossy screen because the protector makes the screen look grainy. In terms of reflection I don't notice it much when I have my laptop on, but I do think glossy screen gives a better image quality.

I think that is only because you put a matte screen protector on. A matte screen won't have this issue to that degree.

But yes, glossy screens are supposed to have better contrast in colours.