Graphics switch issue

otsego

I just got my M17x R4 a couple of days ago and have ran into a weird issue. When running the unit with integrated graphics, the laptop is working perfectly. Gaming Battlefield 3 for a couple of hours, no issue. However, the second I press the I/D GFX switch button and reboot, the entire screen gets a reddish tint and starts to flicker with several artifacts. How come the NVIDIA GPU works perfectly fine when the integrated is also enabled, but goes all haywire when integrated is disabled. Any thoughts?

Alienware M17x, 680M, BIOS A09.

Good question. I've heard that you can achieve better performance by going dedicated GPU only, instead of sending everything from the 680M to the Intel HD framebuffer before viewing on the screen. However, apparently there seems to be something wrong with only the GTX680M running the entire laptop...

Nope, it's not a 3D-display, just plain old 2D :P I'm aware that 3D-displays don't have the IGPU connected.

Edit: I can actually see that another user is having the same symptoms (altough a different color) here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/700848-alienware-m17x-r4-igp-switching-problem-green-screen.html Seems like it went unanswered...

You need to change a setting in the system BIOS to disable using IGFX. Optimus and Enduro have never seemed to work as well as they should. From what I have seen posted, problems are much worse with Enduro enabled with 7970M than Optimus with 680M.

Mr. Fox, thanks for the info, however at least in BIOS A09 there is no option to turn of the IGFX. Maybe this is some crappy issue with the latest BIOS they have released seeing that others are experiencing the issue as well.

In avance menu there should be an option named Video configuration where you can disable IGPU. Change primary display from SG to PEG, do not choose PCI though!

Agreed! Do not choose PCI. I choose PCI once, had to remove my video card to recover my system.

I don't really understand this. I'm able to run solely off the 680m with factory specs. I did a fresh install of Windows onto an ssd and changed a few settings in the BIOS (mainly changed from RAID to AHCI) and after that the laptop wouldn't boot off the 680m when I pressed fn+f7. I did yet another fresh install, but reloaded factory BIOS settings, and now I can use fn+f7 to turn off the igpu/Optimus yet again. Weird situation. Not sure why fn+f7 doesn't work for some people (or why it stopped working for me for a while lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Good question. I've heard that you can achieve better performance by going dedicated GPU only, instead of sending everything from the 680M to the Intel HD framebuffer before viewing on the screen. However, apparently there seems to be something wrong with only the GTX680M running the entire laptop...

Agreed. Not sure about games performance, but WEI with optimus shows 7.4 and without is higher.

• 2 weeks later...

After a time without my Alienware due to a botched flashing and lengthy logic board repair I once again tried to flash the unlocked version. There I proceeded to disable the graphics card according to instructions given here, and it now works perfectly. Thanks to all of you!

EDIT: Also, I can see a real life performance improvement with GTX680M only. Using MPC-HC with LAVFilter and madVR I can actually upscale using Jinc 3 tap without any lag as opposed to Optimus where I only could upscale with Lanczos. Some of you may not have any idea what I'm talking about, but trust me, disabling internal graphics actually give a performance boost.

• 3 weeks later...
EDIT: Also, I can see a real life performance improvement with GTX680M only. Using MPC-HC with LAVFilter and madVR I can actually upscale using Jinc 3 tap without any lag as opposed to Optimus where I only could upscale with Lanczos. Some of you may not have any idea what I'm talking about, but trust me, disabling internal graphics actually give a performance boost.

This is most likely because madVR runs on the IGP with Optimus enabled and it's simply not powerful enough to support madVR with all the advanced filters enabled. With Optimus disabled it's forced to run on the 680m.

• 3 weeks later...