Alienware M17x R4 Adding a second hard drive

DJSNiperwolf

Has anyone added a secondary hard drive to your M17x? I ordered my build with a 256GB SSD and don't want to completely use that drive of it's space. Anyone who has done it, was it a quick install or a do I have to disassemble anything?

It is a very simple process that shouldn't e difficult. There is plenty of how to's out there here is just one.

. Have fun with the new system.

• 3 weeks later...

i added a second HD to my system .. i just ordered mine with one HD .. my system came with the necessary stuff for the second HD .. if it hasnt come i dont think its much of a problem as people have reported just asking DELL for a caddy and they ship it out directly to u without any charge :)

Just bought a refurbished M17x R4 and it comes with the standard 750gb 7200rpm hdd. But Im thinking of also inserting a 60gb SSD to install the OS on as its will increase speed and its a fairly cheap upgrade! They ship a caddy without charge!! I find it hard to believe from heard all the bad reviews about their customer support etc... But i will take your word! :) If you don't ask you will never know i suppose!

• 3 weeks later...

I did install a second hard drive on my Alienware M17x, it came with the 1TB HDD 5400RPM which is too slow to me so I got the Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD from Newegg for only 350$ and made it as second hard drive. At first I thought I would need to buy a new adapter to plug it but luckily, Dell attached the adapter to the HDD panel :) It is really to install :) Go ahead ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was concerned about that fusion... Thanks for clarification... I was going to say, if that's the case then It'll be crazily fast once i upgrade (full reset takes me about 40 secs).

I couldn't get my SSD to function properly as my primary unless I removed the other drive. Tried manually changing the boot order and a bunch of other things but it'd just hang during POST with two drives, and the SSD in slot 1.

Works fine with it in secondary slot though and will save tears.

There's no reason it should not work in the primary slot, unless the SATA connectors on the SSD aren't lining up properly with the slots on the primary's.

What I read in another guide, is, that one should not install the HDD near the Grafics Card, because of heat issues, therefor, I installed my SSD in Slot 2 and simply changed the booting sequence.

That's is a possibility. But I've got my SSD installed near my GPU (in Bay 0) and it does make a difference of 8C. That still only puts my SSD at 40C, and it's never gone above 45C so I am not worried.

• 1 month later...

I replaced both my hard drives with larger ssds, went just fine and was really easy. Now I have 1*512GB and 1*960GB worth of SSD space :)

Be sure to read the m17x's owner/service manual if you have doubts about how to do things.