Changes on R4 within last few months

jackgarcia7

I purchased my R4 in August and now I have just received one that I bought for my girlfriend and I noticed a few changes that were made on it. First and most important was the charger difference. It is much lighter and smaller. Although it doesn't have the blue light it is a good alternative for the old larger one. Even though it is smaller the drop in amp is not that much and probably won't be noticeable. Also they have finally accepted the fact that people are going to want windows 8 soon. So what they did was change the windows icon to the new windows 8 icon. How do you feel about these changes?

post-7237-14494994074259_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494994074404_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494994074605_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494994074739_thumb.jpg

post-7237-1449499407487_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494994075005_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The charger they gave you is the 180w version, not the 240w that you got with your original R4. That is why it is lighter and a bit different. Plus I was able to make out the output voltage and amperage from the charger label you attached to your post. It only adds up to 180 watts. Alienware is now shipping the smaller PSU with their systems by default . You need to specify you want the larger wattage PSU or have an extreme CPU and top of the line GPU in order to get the 240w PSU. The windows key will probably go unnoticed by many. To small a change for anyone to care (and no one should care). It makes no difference to me what the emblem style is on that key, it functions the same now and it did before.

@dalan if you get a 240w psu with your new m17x, let us know if it still has the power indicator ring. I tape mine off with electrical tape although if they left it, it'd be wonderful if somehow it supported matching the color from some part of AlienFX. I couldn't stand the mismash when using non blues/purples. And honestly sometimes all the extra leds gets a bit bothersome when I can't shut them off.

• Founder

I suppose it makes sense that they are shipping a weaker psu with non extreme systems although it would require more money to be spent later on should the consumer decide to buy an extreme cpu or higher end gpu.

Sent from my GT-N7000