dual booting W7 & W8

Thumper_23

It might depend on how you do it. If you install them independently of one another, and using separate drives, I do not think that one OS can or will affect the other.

They way I have done this is to install one OS with no extra drive(s) installed, remove those drive(s), install the additional drive(s) without the former present, and then install the other OS. After installing the OS independently to each drive, reinstall all of the drive(s). From that point forward, you control which drive will boot, by simply pressing F12 at POST to select the drive. You can also change the boot priority in the BIOS to suit your preference for the default OS. This way one OS is ignorant of the fact that the other exists. This also works with Linux and Windows. But, doing it this way you do not have the simplicity of a software bootloader menu. Personally, it does not matter to me because it is not a big deal to press F12 to choose drives.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Just received my new M18X R2. Was wondering how dual boot is working out for you on SSD as this is the setup i'm probably going to go with. How much space did you a lot to each partition ? Thanks

In services.msc (type in run box) if you have disk defrag disabled, enable it so windows will let you shrink C drive. Right click on computer,click on Manage then click on diskmanagement. Right click on C drive and click on "shrink partition". I made 81920 Mb=80Gb for W8. You can go with a minimum of 20Gb Remember to go back and disable Disk Defrag in services.msc