Best ram for R4

jackgarcia7

I am going to upgrade my ram and would like to know what is the top of the line. I have looked into the corsair vengeance and it looks very good. It has cas 9 timing 9-9-9-24. Is the best out there? Application will be for future overclocking. Also can anyone verify a higher speed then 1600 MHz working on the R4.

the one you link won't work you need 204 pin ram. holy fucking shit you got 24gb of 1600 ram, your laptop will be tottally fucking outdated by the time you need more ram.

The link is made by the website not by me. It is one of there advertisement.

Guest bifnewman

Honestly, I would upgrade the GPU before you upgrade the RAM unless you really need the RAM for something else like virtual machines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you already have more than enough RAM for benchmarking, gaming, and most other things that you can do with your computer (at the same time?). lol

look at the ddr3 laptop memory on newegg.com. corsair vengence is definitely a good choice if you want fast ram.

Honestly, I would upgrade the GPU before you upgrade the RAM unless you really need the RAM for something else like virtual machines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you already have more than enough RAM for benchmarking, gaming, and most other things that you can do with your computer (at the same time?). lol

look at the ddr3 laptop memory on newegg.com. corsair vengence is definitely a good choice if you want fast ram.

I do a lot of data parsing so I need a lot of fast ram. I don't game so the GPU is more then enough for me.

1866Mhz Memory wont make much of a difference as the theoritically supported limit with the current gen mobile processors is 1600Mhz ... so effectively putting in ram at 1866 will just make it run at 1600Mhz ... or u could force the RAM to run at 1600Mhz so that u can get tighter timings on the RAM :)ARK | Intel® Core

Oh sure it does. Why do you think such RAM gets manufactured? While Intel states 1600 as max (even for desktop CPUs) it is totally possible to run the memory controller of the CPU at a higher frequency without any issues. Sandy Bridge mobile CPUs should work fine at 1866, Ivy even up to 2133.

The AW bios allows you to choose your preferred speed if your modules support several profiles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am going to upgrade my ram and would like to know what is the top of the line. I have looked into the corsair vengeance and it looks very good. It has cas 9 timing 9-9-9-24. Is the best out there? Application will be for future overclocking. Also can anyone verify a higher speed then 1600 MHz working on the R4.

Yes, it´s no problem to run faster memory.I use 8 GB Hyper X 1866 in Dual Channel mode and it´s just plug and play.You don´t need to tweak anything in the bios.

The Hyper X has cas timing 11-11-11-32 at 931,3 Mhz shown in HWInfo.Great!:Banane55:

Can we really upgrade a GPU in an Alienware m17x? Never heard of upgrading graphics in a laptop since afaik it is integrated graphics ;)

• 1 month later...
Can we really upgrade a GPU in an Alienware m17x? Never heard of upgrading graphics in a laptop since afaik it is integrated graphics ;)

The GPU on the M17x isn't soldered on the mainboard but uses an MXM slot module, so it's upgradeable like a desktop graphics card.

• 2 weeks later...

Im just hoping the next gen of nvidia mobile cards come with the same form factor as the ones currently available so i can upgrade my graphics card then. Tbh i think a good cooled gaming "laptop" rig can last a good 5 years if you just upgrade the parts if the old ones become really outdated. My philosophy with my r4 was get the most beastly system out there (with easy to replace parts, dont rage at me lol i know it not the most powerful but for what i wanted- 3D screen and easy self upgrades, it was the best choice for me) so in the future it will be able to somewhat keep up with the times.

But staying on topic im running 32gb of corsair vengeance ddr3 1600 on my r4 atm with no issues. il test out 1866mhz overclock for you if you want and see if it works and is stable

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add some info to this thread, regarding the Kingston HyperX 2133 Mhz RAMs.

I installed those personally in my Alienware M17xR4.

Result: Not working.

Symptom: Black Screen (after turning on power) .

Also verified by some very few users that tried this themselves. Note: This is only right for AW M17xR4, they are actually working on AW M18 models afaik.

Regards, Sera

I'm running the Kingston HyperX 2133MHz in my M17x R4. Originally I had problems at boot as described in this thread, but I MOVED THE individual MODULES AROUND until I found a placement combination the system liked. Once I found that placement combination that worked, it's been 100% stable and very fast since! To anyone who has/wants to try this RAM: Try moving it around if it doesn't work at first. I know it sounds weird and we shouldn't have to do this BUT I've seen the same behavior with six different RAM modules and two different Alienware systems.

Using Kingston's 2133MHz RAM, my system passes all RAM stress tests consistently and yields a 7.8 graphics score in Win7's Experience Index with AMD 7970m GPU, 3920xm CPU, Enduro Switchable Graphics enabled while using AMD's Catalyst 13.3 beta driver. My original factory configuration (1600MHz RAM, same GPU, 3740qm CPU, Enduro Enabled, Catalyst 8.934 driver) yielded a graphics score of only 6.9 - and was surprisingly lousy for gaming!

That's the hidden benefit to these ultra-high-speed RAM modules: your integrated graphics uses system RAM so the faster your system RAM the faster your iGPU. For those of us who disable switchable graphics I guess it doesn't matter but personally I love my Enduro setup - now that I'm off the horrible drivers Dell provides, lol.