[G75VW] - modified BIOS & VBIOS for higher overclocking

svl7

At first I want to tell you that your MOD is awesome :triumphant:

I followed all the instructions and the flash went well.

I just have a problem: I have now only 2 cores and even worse, CPUID Hardware monitor and CPU - Z detected only one!

I back with 223 rom backup and the problem was same.

A solution?

post-11040-14494994487768_thumb.jpg

Well I didn't get too far.

The first step is to create a backup of the bios using the backup.bat batch file. I got an error that the file had to be executed as an administrator. Run as the administrator solved the error message but it did not create the required backup.

Sir,

Followed your instructions exactly. You might want to point out that everything should be done via an (elevated?) command prompt window in the first post. In any event, that's what I used to run the bat files.

Everything worked fine. Flash successful. After a power cycle I have the new neato menu options in the Bios.

The only thing is ... my card is clocked exactly as before. Same voltage, same clock speed, same results in Nvidia Inspector. I think it looked like dynamic boosting is turned off, which is a good thing.

Bottom line is that I seem to be able to set my card to exactly the same 1085 mHz speed as before, with the same voltage and etc. Yes, I used the overclocking edition of the Bios, rather than the unlocked-only one. The file Mod.223 with time/date stamp of 2/13/2013 at 11:51pm

Thoughts?

Thanks, Rolf

ibjgh follow all step in first post and all be easy,or run dos windows (cmd/admin) (i use free commander is more easy) and run the.bat (if you edit it is same).

R01f your all fine. O/C GPU with Nvidia Inspector and all rocks.

Plz SVL7 give me a answer i'm alone & worried.

Sry for my froggysh english, i'm french. :teapot:

ibjgh follow all step in first post and all be easy,or run dos windows (cmd/admin) (i use free commander is more easy) and run the.bat (if you edit it is same).

I would suggest putting a stock bios file on your C: drive and powering off the Notebook, then hold down Ctrl + Home as you power it on and try going back to stock to see if you still have all 4 cores. Task Manager shows threads which are software level cores basically but you really only have 1 core because it emulates 2 threads.

Perhaps I am a little confused. What the intro page seemed to imply was that the base clock is raised to 1000 mhz. This is not the case with my system. Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words, and nobody wants to read 1000 words! So:

Before: Using 218 bios and 314.07 Nvidia software, Nvidia inspector Pstate 0 with everything maxed out

post-11134-14494994488644_thumb.png

After: Using 223 Overclock mod bios/vbios and 314.07 Nvidia software and same Nvidia inspector stuff.

post-11134-14494994488938_thumb.png

As you can clearly see, there is absolutely no change at all. Not a thing. Even the default clock stays at 835 just as before. Luckily it is trivial to still overclock to 1085 with no boost/throttling, but that was the case with the old bios.

I didn't see anything on the first page of this thread about running a command prompt(in the instructions)?

People, I need help too, I have been using the OC version of the bios successfully for about two weeks. The other day I reinstalled Windows 7 and then went into the bios, restored everything to default, saved and exit. From there on my system bricked, no boot, nothing. I can't enter the bios, no ezflash, nothing. I taped my problem and uploaded it to YT. Asus G75VW Black Screen Bios Corrupted - YouTube

Does anyone know a way to get my system back to life ? I have read and tried everything that can be done, ex: CTRL + HOME, F2, F4, removing the battery and the CMOS battery too, I'v tried everything. I also tried putting a USB stick with the bios file in it and then pressiong F2, F4, CTRL + HOME and all that but nothing.

Looks like the GPU bios isn't loading_ best shot is to blind flash it. You got to create a bootable usb with and auto execute flash command to flash the original BIOS file into it.

Remove your hard drive and remove your DVD/cd drive so the motherboard has no choice but to select the USB stick as a boot up option.

I know there's some information about creating an auto execute command to flash on a USB stick to where all you do is plug it in and the auto execute command does the rest.

So, what is the consensus of this moddified BIOS/VBIOS. Is it safe? Does the keyboard backlight work? Are all hidden options in BIOS/VBIOS fully unlocked?

Sorry to ask all this, I can not yet see the screenshots in their full resolution, nor can I download any of the attached files yet.

Any thoughts at all on why my card won't overclock beyond the stock with this OC vbios?

I should mention:

This was a 'new gen' windows 8 machine, best buy variant. I bought it in January.

When the flashing was taking place, it was not all one 8 MB chunk. It flashed several smaller chunks. I would have to do it again, but it seems like it was something along the lines of a 1.6 MB chunk, and some other chunks of smaller sizes. As I recall (and I really should have made a screenshot -- I guess I could do it again) the sizes of the 3-4+ chunks did not add up to the size of the bios. I noticed in the screenshot of 'what it was supposed to look like' that that persons flash was written in one chunk.

I wonder if my vbios is in a separate area. Maybe it was never overwritten, giving me the same effect as using the non-OC unlocked bios. If I make no changes, my card boots up with stock 835 mHz clock after flashing this OC vbios.

Sticker on the bottom says:

MB ver G75VW check number 4427

CANOAS218496416

G75VW-BHI7NO7

2012-10

Ibjgh, it’s only to explain that you can execute the .bat or type it in command prompt is same thing.

I’v tried all :

-back to old bios (221, 222) with winflash/nodate, and after install bios 223 with winflash or flash utility in bios (F4 or CTRL+HOME) but problem still the same, only one core….

So, what is the consensus of this moddified BIOS/VBIOS. Is it safe? Does the keyboard backlight work? Are all hidden options in BIOS/VBIOS fully unlocked?

Sorry to ask all this, I can not yet see the screenshots in their full resolution, nor can I download any of the attached files yet.

Yes, if you have the matching ASUS BIOS Version before completing the installation of this custom BIOS you should experience no difficulties unless there is a pre-existing HW fault.

I have flashed two of these and not experienced any of the issues other have mentioned.

Best,

--Joshua

Yes, if you have the matching ASUS BIOS Version before completing the installation of this custom BIOS you should experience no difficulties unless there is a pre-existing HW fault.

So what you're saying is if you already flashed to 223 bios and THEN flash the mod, there should be no issues unless it's a hardware fault that predates the modded flash?

• Bios Modder

2 svl7

Hi!

I to fine-tune the memory system and use XMP profile in G75VW need to access the BIOS menu to some settings "Chipset". I tried to change your nice Mod.223, but the menu "Chipset" in the BIOS no displayed. Please see the attachment. What did I do wrong?

• Bios Modder

2 guido7142

Try to do this. In one of the slots to insert memory DIMM DDR-3 1333 or 1066 and on. If that does not work plus the insert USB Flash, it is important to do the following:

1. USB Flash up to 4 Gb. (Lower is better, if 4Gb does not work, try 2Gb!)

2. FAT32 or FAT16 format

3. On USB Flash only one file BIOS, nothing more.

4. Rename the file G75VWAS.223 to G75VW.bin (No G75VW.bin.bin! In this .bin is file extension) and put in the USB Flash. After operations to copy and rename files BIOS, stick better unplug through the "Safely Remove Hardware".

5. Unplug the power adapter, disconnect the battery and VERY IMPORTANT! wait 4-5 minutes. This time the system timer counts (press the Power button to quickly reset balances power is not necessary, it does not work in this case).

6. Connect the battery, and (VERY IMPORTANT!) plug power adapter.

7. Press Ctrl(Left) + Home at the same time and hold, then press and release the Power (Ctrl + Home does not unpress until the screen will begin the process of flash firmware).

If does not work, try first press and hold Ctrl+Home, then plug ac adapter (don,t connect battery) and then press Power button.

90% this will solve the problem.

Good luck.

2 guido7142

Try to do this. In one of the slots to insert memory DIMM DDR-3 1333 or 1066 and on. If that does not work plus the insert USB Flash, it is important to do the following:

1. USB Flash up to 4 Gb. (Lower is better, if 4Gb does not work, try 2Gb!)

2. FAT32 or FAT16 format

3. On USB Flash only one file BIOS, nothing more.

4. Rename the file G75VWAS.223 to G75VW.bin (No G75VW.bin.bin! In this .bin is file extension) and put in the USB Flash. After operations to copy and rename files BIOS, stick better unplug through the "Safely Remove Hardware".

5. Unplug the power adapter, disconnect the battery and VERY IMPORTANT! wait 4-5 minutes. This time the system timer counts (press the Power button to quickly reset balances power is not necessary, it does not work in this case).

6. Connect the battery, and (VERY IMPORTANT!) plug power adapter.

7. Press Ctrl(Left) + Home at the same time and hold, then press and release the Power (Ctrl + Home does not unpress until the screen will begin the process of flash firmware).

If does not work, try first press and hold Ctrl+Home, then plug ac adapter (don,t connect battery) and then press Power button.

90% this will solve the problem.

Good luck.

The ctrl+home is only 66% right :topsy_turvy: its actully ctrl+ALT+home. No idea why. Apparently with this version of the computer, it changed. I literally returned 3 g75vws in 3 weeks due to a secure boot option toggle bug in the STOCK BIOS. Wouldn't post/boot when this and fastboot was toggled. It would do nothing. On the 4th one I figured out, hey, add that "alt" button to the mix and it'll flash the bios on fsX:/EFI/ASUS/G75VW.bin or G75VW.bin on a usb. Regardless, spread the news! The ASUS reps didn't even know this when I called on the 2nd "broken" computer. Haha

• Bios Modder
Since my system is 64-bit, shouldn't I be using Win64? Also, I don't see Win32 on the initial post. I'm assuming I'd have to search Google for it.

Initial post by svl7:

"Instructions:

Download the BIOS you want to flash, as well as the flash tool (Win64). Put the modified BIOS (and included files) in the same folder as the flash tool

Make sure that your current BIOS version is the same as the one you want to flash. Then create a backup of your BIOS by executing the backup.bat file.

Download the 'G75VW-BiosFixer', put it in the same folder as the flash too and run it. Follow the instructions on the screen, it will ask you for the BIOS backup you just created, as well as the modified BIOS file which you already downloaded.

If the tool doesn't come up with an error message, go ahead and flash the created file by executing the included flash.bat file.

Wait until the flashing is done, in case everything's okay you can reboot."

Good luck!