Throttlestop 7.00

Should I set anything in TPL?

i7-3920XM QC22 ES + 16GB DDR3L + 256GB TOSHIBA SSD + Intel N6205 WiFi + Windows 7 64bit

Not an expert with the XM CPUs at all. Perhaps @unclewebb, the Throttlestop author could advise further? Though one thing I notice that you have and I don't (see below) is the ability to alter the TDP Level control. Can you try to set that to "2". I'm assuming that will move you off the 45W TDP level to the 65W one.

33y6h05.jpg

Not an expert with the XM CPUs at all. Perhaps unclewebb, the Throttlestop author could advise further? Though one thing I notice that you have and I don't (see below) is the ability to alter the TDP Level control. Can you try to set that to "2". I'm assuming that will move you off the 45W TDP level to the 65W one.

Set TDP level control to 2 but didn't affect anything. From user guide:- TDP Level Control for the ULV processors

I am not sure how the TDP Level control works on the 3rd Generation XM CPUs. This setting is not important because your CPU power limits are not locked so you can set the turbo TDP as high as you like. The only limit is heat. You could set these both to a sky high number like 256. This should allow maximum turbo boost even when fully loaded as long as your CPU does not get too hot. If your CPU gets too hot, it will throttle and slow down to protect itself regardless of how you set ThrottleStop so you do not need to worry when adjusting this.

ThrottleStop can not be used to overclock the 3rd Generation Extreme CPUs like your 3920XM. My friend Dufus on NBR wrote a little program that might be able to help. Try running MaxMulti and then in ThrottleStop increase the turbo multipliers and increase the Set Multiplier value. Run something simple like 1 thread of the TS Bench test and post a screen shot while that is running so I can see your maximum multiplier.

MaxMulti

This little program might be able to help out the 2nd and 3rd Gen CPUs if your bios does not have adjustable turbo multipliers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not sure how the TDP Level control works on the 3rd Generation XM CPUs. This setting is not important because your CPU power limits are not locked so you can set the turbo TDP as high as you like. The only limit is heat. You could set these both to a sky high number like 256. This should allow maximum turbo boost even when fully loaded as long as your CPU does not get too hot. If your CPU gets too hot, it will throttle and slow down to protect itself regardless of how you set ThrottleStop so you do not need to worry when adjusting this.

ThrottleStop can not be used to overclock the 3rd Generation Extreme CPUs like your 3920XM. My friend Dufus on NBR wrote a little program that might be able to help. Try running MaxMulti and then in ThrottleStop increase the turbo multipliers and increase the Set Multiplier value. Run something simple like 1 thread of the TS Bench test and post a screen shot while that is running so I can see your maximum multiplier.

MaxMulti

This little program might be able to help out the 2nd and 3rd Gen CPUs if your bios does not have adjustable turbo multipliers.

After tried MaxMulti, unfortunately nothing changed. I captured some screen below, hope it can help you.

post-17239-1449499744037_thumb.png

1 thread can reach x37

2 threads can reach x36

4 threads get x32-33

post-17239-14494997440599_thumb.png

post-17239-14494997440853_thumb.png

I noticed when setting multiplier to x33 or higher, then run ts bench, it can reach x33 and quickly down to x32 forever. About 1 second at x33 by log.

My AC adapter is 90w, I think it's no problem on power supply. When the CPU is on full load, the laptop only reach 60w.

When using AIDA64 stress cpu,fpu,cache,memory and gpu at the same time, the whole laptop can reach 100w.

I'm not sure if the bios limited or the cpu power supply circuit limited, from Tech Inferno Fan's thread, no cpu can get over 40w.

After tried MaxMulti, unfortunately nothing changed. I captured some screen below, hope it can help you.

[ATTACH]11324[/ATTACH]

1 thread can reach x37

2 threads can reach x36

4 threads get x32-33

[ATTACH]11325[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11326[/ATTACH]

I noticed when setting multiplier to x33 or higher, then run ts bench, it can reach x33 and quickly down to x32 forever. About 1 second at x33 by log.

My AC adapter is 90w, I think it's no problem on power supply. When the CPU is on full load, the laptop only reach 60w.

When using AIDA64 stress cpu,fpu,cache,memory and gpu at the same time, the whole laptop can reach 100w.

I'm not sure if the bios limited or the cpu power supply circuit limited, from Tech Inferno Fan's thread, no cpu can get over 40w.

I too had no success with maxmulti, Throttlestop or XTU in altering the CPU multiplier or power parameters. I'm still limited to < 45W package TDP. Something I see if I turn on the Throttlestop logs then do a 8-thread TS bench. The TDP logs will show a ramp up to ~43W at x35, then the multiplier is pulled back to x34. I believe that is the Intel TDP throttling algorithm that is doing that.

Your i7-3920XM ES is unfortunately currently at the bottom of the i7-quad TDP efficiency chart. It's 4-core performance at the same level as a i7-3630QM but at a rather high TDP. I'd advise to offload it for an OEM i7-3630QM, i7-3720QM or i7-3740QM/i7-3820QM to get better efficiency and performance and likely a bit of extra $$ changeover cost.

There doesn't seem to be much point in going above a i7-3740QM/i7-3820QM since you'll be limited to 45W TDP. Those CPUs will run somewhere between x33-x35 during a TS test. Those CPU's unique VID/TDP parameters determining where in that multiplier range the 4-core TS test will settle.

A 3920XM is an unlocked CPU with an Unlimited maximum multiplier. Unfortunately, if you look at the Turbo Ratio Limits window, it displays "Turbo Overclocking - Locked". This means the bios has locked this feature so you can not take advantage of what your XM CPU is capable of. MaxMulti can not help when the bios locks this feature.

What are your Turbo Power Limits set to when testing? Did you set them both to 100 or 200? I think if the Long and Short term power limits are set much higher, the multiplier should go higher than 32.00 when this CPU is fully loaded as long as it can get enough power from the power adapter and as long as it doesn't get too hot. Also disable BD PROCHOT.

A 3920XM is an unlocked CPU with an Unlimited maximum multiplier. Unfortunately, if you look at the Turbo Ratio Limits window, it displays "Turbo Overclocking - Locked". This means the bios has locked this feature so you can not take advantage of what your XM CPU is capable of. MaxMulti can not help when the bios locks this feature.

What are your Turbo Power Limits set to when testing? Did you set them both to 100 or 200? I think if the Long and Short term power limits are set much higher, the multiplier should go higher than 32.00 when this CPU is fully loaded as long as it can get enough power from the power adapter and as long as it doesn't get too hot. Also disable BD PROCHOT.

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry i had made a mistake on the log before. I misunderstand minute instead of second.

I set higher the power limit and turbo limit, disable BD PROCHOT, and test it again.

post-17239-14494997441302_thumb.png

post-17239-1449499744162_thumb.png

below is tpl default setting test log

Power Long 65

Power Shotr 81

Turbo Time Limit 28

post-17239-14494997441799_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Intel has similar TDP power limits for the CPU that can be set within the chipset. Most laptop manufacturers do not use these secondary limits but some do. That might be the problem with this laptop model. If these values are set lower than the ThrottleStop values, then the lower values are used. I wish I could do more to help but it might be a long while before I get this problem solved. :(

For this laptop, the 3920XM is not recommended because the bios does not let it run at its full Intel rated speed.

Thanks for all of your testing. It helps me understand these problems much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking to get 5V inside the 2570p for a fan, easily. No soldering, etc, etc; just plug, maybe tape and go.

My original idea was to use PM3U ( MiniCard to USB2.0 Adapter) tape off pins 20, 36, and 38. Use the 5V that it somehow converts from 3.3V and 1.5V. That didn't work. The WWAN port still gets disabled. I did try swapping, but moving my WLAN into the WWAN also disables that port, even though my WLAN card is in the whitelist.

Lastly, I started looking into Project Dirty Laundry - How to defeat whitelisting without BIOS modding | Milksnot. Unfortunately, contrary to what the author saw, I found no change from enabled to disabled, which means, me == noob, or HP changed how they did the disabling.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking to get 5V inside the 2570p for a fan, easily. No soldering, etc, etc; just plug, maybe tape and go.

My original idea was to use PM3U ( MiniCard to USB2.0 Adapter) tape off pins 20, 36, and 38. Use the 5V that it somehow converts from 3.3V and 1.5V. That didn't work. The WWAN port still gets disabled. I did try swapping, but moving my WLAN into the WWAN also disables that port, even though my WLAN card is in the whitelist.

Lastly, I started looking into Project Dirty Laundry - How to defeat whitelisting without BIOS modding | Milksnot. Unfortunately, contrary to what the author saw, I found no change from enabled to disabled, which means, me == noob, or HP changed how they did the disabling.

Any thoughts?

The WLAN port has pci-e pin 23, 25, 31, 33. That being a necessity to run a Intel/Broadcom/Atheros WLAN card. The WWAN port has *sata* pins 23, 25, 31, 33; something that was planned to provide a mSATA cache module but never eventuated in the final release. Meaning, there is no way your WLAN card will work in the WWAN slot. The only place it would work is if you routed the expresscard slot pci-e pins to it.

As your intention is to find 5V, have you looked at the 2560P schematic linked off the first post? There would be plenty of 5V tap off points there. One obvious one would be the eSATAp port.

Question... what kind of cover are you supposed to use on the optical bay when you have a 2nd hard drive caddy installed? I got a caddy, but without a cover, the 2nd hard drive is just exposed...

Here you go buddy! $18 (incl. shipping):

The New Original Odd Bezel Assembly For HP EliteBook 2560P 2570P-in Other Computer Products from Computer & Networking on Aliexpress.com

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread for a while now and after contemplating long and hard have finally jumped ship into acquiring a new HP 2570p. Though I do not consider myself quite competent in computer hardware (being in the Medical profession), I try as much to do my research first before asking any questions here.

With that said, I think I may have found myself stuck in a pre-purchasing crossroad for my 3740QM.

Will any i7-3740QM model work so long as it has a G2 socket, or will it have to be specifically a PGA988 socket?

Also, what are your thoughts on a 3740QM with a BGA to PGA988 adapter? There's a model from Hong Kong (SR0UW) that advertises their BGA chipset with PGA adapter as being more economic, since the BGA chip is claimed to have better power and temperature control ability.

Intel Core i7 3740QM SR0UW BGA to PGA Laptop CPU 2 7GHz 3 7GHz 6MB Socket G2 | eBay

Thanks in advanced.

Hi everyone,

I experienced a problem when trying to use the broadband modem for the first time on my 2570p. I use an activated sim card with from a maldivian provider (Dhiraguu). When I first launched HPCM the software asked me to create a profile, then tried to find a network. Basically it never happens. Connection manager shows "no service" like if I would not be in a covered area.

Then, when I try to scan the networks manually, I get an error message "Could not end the network research : HPCM cannot proceed the research. It might happen because the modem had problems and could be solve by trying a new research. Do you wanna try again ?" This is not the exact message since I translated it. Can't find how to swap HPCM from french into english...

After a few hours on google, I cannot find any solution...

- I updated the drivers & software

- Tried a manual conenction through windows assistant

- Tried with another sim card from a different provider

Then, I have no idea if it's a software or hardware issue...

Does anyone have any idea ?

Thank you.

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread for a while now and after contemplating long and hard have finally jumped ship into acquiring a new HP 2570p. Though I do not consider myself quite competent in computer hardware (being in the Medical profession), I try as much to do my research first before asking any questions here.

With that said, I think I may have found myself stuck in a pre-purchasing crossroad for my 3740QM.

Will any i7-3740QM model work so long as it has a G2 socket, or will it have to be specifically a PGA988 socket?

Also, what are your thoughts on a 3740QM with a BGA to PGA988 adapter? There's a model from Hong Kong (SR0UW) that advertises their BGA chipset with PGA adapter as being more economic, since the BGA chip is claimed to have better power and temperature control ability.

Intel Core i7 3740QM SR0UW BGA to PGA Laptop CPU 2 7GHz 3 7GHz 6MB Socket G2 | eBay

Thanks in advanced.

No need to muck around. Here's a better priced i7-3740QM ready to install. Just ask the guy to post registered airmail to your country. Should be US$30 in postage with insurance but without tracking. Intel SR0UV Core I7 3740QM Laptop Processor 6M Cache UP TO 3 70 GHZ HOM201 | eBay

Evening, all. I just bought a 2570p, used for $85. :) Pretty much perfect condition. I've had all manner of desktops over the years but this is my first laptop. I'd like to ditch the desktop for this at some point. Before I do, I want to make sure this is working right.

If you don't mind, I have a quick question/problem. My fan doesn't come on (unless it's VERY quiet...I'm used to 7 big fans running at full speed on my desktop). I've kept this on my lap (where it's warmest) most of the day and......nothing. Either I haven't checked some box somewhere to enable things, the fan doesn't work (bad) or it just hasn't gotten hot enough for it to kick on. Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to drop some money on a faster proc, etc and melt it all down.

Cool that there's a forum for this. I'll have to read up and check out the history but cudos to whoever started this!

Regards,

Monkeyman

Hey Tech Inferno Fan, I'm not mucking around. I just referenced the eBay link because the description of a BGA to PGA socket is there. I'm more concerned about the G2 (or rPGA988b) socket being compatible.

This is more of what I'm eyeing at:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Laptop-CPU-Intel-Core-i7-3740QM-OEM-SR0UV-2-7G-6M-L3-Turto-3-7G-brand/1790431320.html

or this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Intel-cpu-i7-3740qm-sr0uv-formal-3840qm-sr0ut-edition/1790417709.html

At this price point, I might even consider bumping up to a 3840QM just in case its performance may be suboptimal to the one it advertises.

Hi everyone,

I experienced a problem when trying to use the broadband modem for the first time on my 2570p. I use an activated sim card with from a maldivian provider (Dhiraguu). When I first launched HPCM the software asked me to create a profile, then tried to find a network. Basically it never happens. Connection manager shows "no service" like if I would not be in a covered area.

Then, when I try to scan the networks manually, I get an error message "Could not end the network research : HPCM cannot proceed the research. It might happen because the modem had problems and could be solve by trying a new research. Do you wanna try again ?" This is not the exact message since I translated it. Can't find how to swap HPCM from french into english...

After a few hours on google, I cannot find any solution...

- I updated the drivers & software

- Tried a manual conenction through windows assistant

- Tried with another sim card from a different provider

Then, I have no idea if it's a software or hardware issue...

Does anyone have any idea ?

Thank you.

Allright, I reply myself:

After remove & install all the drivers again manually (not in silent mode), it apparently fixed an issue with the SM bus. The problem is solved & sim card now detected.

As of a few days ago I am the proud owner of a 2570p, to replace my X220 ;)

I do have a few questions however.

1. Is the BCLK unlock mod unique to the machine? I tried both of the ME firmwares posted by khenglish and both resulted in bad ME flash.

2. Is it possible to buy a replacement bottom panel? I'd like to try the holes mod and also the tiny plastic flap on the front is broken.

3. Is it easy to find replacement nubs for the pointing stick, when I got it the nub was missing, and the X220's nub doesn't fit on the square box.

1. Is the BCLK unlock mod unique to the machine? I tried both of the ME firmwares posted by khenglish and both resulted in bad ME flash.

2. Is it possible to buy a replacement bottom panel? I'd like to try the holes mod and also the tiny plastic flap on the front is broken.

3. Is it easy to find replacement nubs for the pointing stick, when I got it the nub was missing, and the X220's nub doesn't fit on the square box.

Congrats on moving onto what I consider a vastly better piece of gear than the X230/X220 system. I can see you have already explored some of it's performance potential. I've listed your system details, as provided on the first post of this thread against. To answer your questions:

1. The BCLK unlock mod so far has only worked if applied to the system's unique BIOS dump. Applying a previously modified 2570P ME firmware has resulted in a corrupted ME for myself and jacobsson. I'd suggest if you wish to have the modified ME to grab a system dump and politely request @Khenglish to modify it for you. @Khenglish may wish to update his 2570P OC ME FW documentation providing step-by-step instructions so we can do it ourselves?

2. Yes, bottom replacement panels are available. Search for the following model numbers. Plugging these into partsurfer.hp.com does find them but doesn't give me a price. You do realize too that if yours has some fault that HP will supply a replacement one under warranty for free?

685400-001 SPS-SERVICE DOOR (2570P

703148-001 SPS-BOTTOM DOOR (2570P - RCTO)

651373-001 SPS-BOTTOM DOOR (2560P)

3. Pointing stick nubs have no spare part number other than for the whole keyboard, eg: 701979-001 = 2570P US keyboard. Again, if your system is under warranty HP will supply you a replacement keyboard for free even if its just the nub you are after.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. I too had problem flashing the posted ME:s (I even managed to lose my original ME when flashing), so it seems to be unique :( You could ask @Khenglish if he could modify yours, I'm very interested to test yours to see if it might work for my system.

2. $25 at eBay

3. If you wanna get crazy with the colors: New HP Compaq Elite Book EliteBook Keyboard TrackPoint Cap Blue 8760w 8760P | eBay <- I'd imagine its the same size cap for elitebooks, @Tech Inferno Fan what do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing there is no dedicated 8470P thread that I see, I'm guessing this thread would encompass both since they are so similar. I greatly like the 14" laptop I currently have and didn't like the 13.1" Fujitsu T901 I had earlier, felt too small. So going to go with a 8470P or 8570P, whichever I can find cheap. I am planning on selling my current AW m14xR2 w/o drives and getting one of these nice HPs and a GPU for my desktop.

Soooooo, all the little mods on the 2570P, do those apply to the 8470P/8570P as well? Battery, wireless, etc.

I'm not really shooting for gaming performance out of my laptop anymore since I got a desktop. I'm more concerned about battery life and perhaps some very small-end CAD work (engineering student). I don't plan on using an eGPU with it either, so one with a dGPU might be handy. Should I look into the 8470W/8570W then? The price is a bit steep to be in my liking though. I'd like to stay sub-500$ (prefer around 400$).

What display options for the 14" / 15" models can be modded in? I know the 2570P uses an LVDS connector and maxes out at 900p for 14" laptops. Rather, are the 8470P / 8570P LVDS as well? Or is one of those two utilizing eDP.

---

Anyone got a 8470P / 8570P + money they'd like to trade for a m14xR2 (specs in sig)?

---

As for mSATA, would the 8470W (which has mSATA support) BIOS work on the 8470P do enable the mSATA port if the connections were bridged? Or are these systems too different.

1. I too had problem flashing the posted ME:s (I even managed to lose my original ME when flashing), so it seems to be unique :( You could ask @Khenglish if he could modify yours, I'm very interested to test yours to see if it might work for my system.

2. $25 at eBay

3. If you wanna get crazy with the colors: New HP Compaq Elite Book EliteBook Keyboard TrackPoint Cap Blue 8760w 8760P | eBay <- I'd imagine its the same size cap for elitebooks, @Tech Inferno Fan what do you think?

Thanks for the response, sadly the bottom cover you linked is missing the little front flap, which is the bit that is broken on mine.

I've bought the caps, will report back how they fit.

I'll PM khenglish in a bit to ask him if he'd kindly do the mod for me.

Seeing there is no dedicated 8470P thread that I see, I'm guessing this thread would encompass both since they are so similar. I greatly like the 14" laptop I currently have and didn't like the 13.1" Fujitsu T901 I had earlier, felt too small. So going to go with a 8470P or 8570P, whichever I can find cheap. I am planning on selling my current AW m14xR2 w/o drives and getting one of these nice HPs and a GPU for my desktop.

Soooooo, all the little mods on the 2570P, do those apply to the 8470P/8570P as well? Battery, wireless, etc.

I'm not really shooting for gaming performance out of my laptop anymore since I got a desktop. I'm more concerned about battery life and perhaps some very small-end CAD work (engineering student). I don't plan on using an eGPU with it either, so one with a dGPU might be handy. Should I look into the 8470W/8570W then? The price is a bit steep to be in my liking though. I'd like to stay sub-500$ (prefer around 400$).

What display options for the 14" / 15" models can be modded in? I know the 2570P uses an LVDS connector and maxes out at 900p for 14" laptops. Rather, are the 8470P / 8570P LVDS as well? Or is one of those two utilizing eDP.

---

Anyone got a 8470P / 8570P + money they'd like to trade for a m14xR2 (specs in sig)?

---

As for mSATA, would the 8470W (which has mSATA support) BIOS work on the 8470P do enable the mSATA port if the connections were bridged? Or are these systems too different.

I had a 8470P for a little bit. Nice machine but was noticably heavier than a 2570P and larger too. The only benefits were the 900P LCD, bigger heatsink and fan resulting in better cooling and a dedicate pgup/pgdn key. mSATA I'm not sure about. Besides it's designed to be a cache drive rather than a boot drive if it did work. eDP I very much doubt.

I'd suggest you look at a 14" Dell E6440 instead. A lighter/thinner Haswell machine with a socketted CPU. *some* have an expresscard slot too. 900P is an option. Has a HD8690M dGPU option too. no mSATA though. Only problem is it will be pricier than a 8470P.