Well, he says I've got a partially crippled ME FW. I tried taking a dump and flashing the ME through FreeDOS via Setup 1.30.

Since it had a bad ME flash, I tried the fptw64 in UEFI Win7 x64. Did another dump and flashed to another bad ME.

I'm hoping the Windows backup dump did not overwrite the FreeDOS backup dump or else I've got no original backup left.

Well, he says I've got a partially crippled ME FW. I tried taking a dump and flashing the ME through FreeDOS via Setup 1.30.

Since it had a bad ME flash, I tried the fptw64 in UEFI Win7 x64. Did another dump and flashed to another bad ME.

I'm hoping the Windows backup dump did not overwrite the FreeDOS backup dump or else I've got no original backup left.

If you don't have a backup then you could use the 2570P BIOS dump I obtained from hpfocus.com to try recover: 68ISB16.F34 .

You may too need to re-tattoo the machine with your specific details (PCID, serial, model, etc): NbDmiFit-2.03

If you don't have a backup then you could use the 2570P BIOS dump I obtained from hpfocus.com to try recover: 68ISB16.F34 .

You may too need to re-tattoo the machine with your specific details (PCID, serial, model, etc): NbDmiFit-2.03

Ok I will try that but I might need some help setting it up. Thank you Tech Inferno Fan.

Hey guys, recently got myself a 2570p in great condition for under 350! Only peeve is that it doesn't have a webcam. Found one on AliExpress for about 20 bucks http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1830079820.html

Do I just have to buy that and fit that in? I'm contemplating on either getting that or just an external webcam.

Hey guys, recently got myself a 2570p in great condition for under 350! Only peeve is that it doesn't have a webcam. Found one on AliExpress for about 20 bucks Online Shop Built-in Webcam module WebCam Camera For HP 2560P 2570P|Aliexpress Mobile

Do I just have to buy that and fit that in? I'm contemplating on either getting that or just an external webcam.

Congratulations on an exception buy and welcome to the 2570P Owner's Lounge :)

INFO: Retrofitting webcam to non-webcam model

I was reviewing the 2570P Maintenance and Support Guide to figure out how to do this.

It looks like retrofitting a webcam can be done relatively easily:

1. Obtain correct display bezel OR drill a hole in the non-webcam one:

For use on computer models equipped with a webcam 685411-001

For use on computer models not equipped with a webcam 685412-001

2. Webcam/microphone module 685413-001 (left) in place of the microphone module 694675-001 (right). You can see they are exactly the same size, have the same input cable it's just that one has the additional webcam on it.

100_6976.jpg000_0011.jpg

3. Use existing webcam/microphone module cable 685417-001 to attach to the webcam.

If you go ahead in purchasing the webcam module 685413-001 and attempt a fit, then please advise if it's as easy as it seems.

Congratulations on an exception buy and welcome to the 2570P Owner's Lounge :)

INFO: Retrofitting webcam to non-webcam model

I was reviewing the 2570P Maintenance and Support Guide to figure out how to do this.

It looks like retrofitting a webcam can be done relatively easily:

1. Obtain correct display bezel OR drill a hole in the non-webcam one:

For use on computer models equipped with a webcam 685411-001

For use on computer models not equipped with a webcam 685412-001

2. Webcam/microphone module 685413-001 (left) in place of the microphone module 694675-001 (right). You can see they are exactly the same size, have the same input cable it's just that one has the additional webcam on it.

100_6976.jpg000_0011.jpg

3. Use existing webcam/microphone module cable 685417-001 to attach to the webcam.

If you go ahead in purchasing the webcam module 685413-001 and attempt a fit, then please advise if it's as easy as it seems.

Thanks! I'm still out and about so I haven't had time to take a good look. But the bezel has some sort of indent or cover where the webcam is supposed to be.

But if I'm looking at getting a new bezel along with it, perhaps it would be more sound to buy a decent webcam instead?

Thanks! I'm still out and about so I haven't had time to take a good look. But the bezel has some sort of indent or cover where the webcam is supposed to be.

But if I'm looking at getting a new bezel along with it, perhaps it would be more sound to buy a decent webcam instead?

That's right. I noted in my previous reply that you'd need to drill a hole in your non-webcam bezel to give a view out for the retrofitted webcam module OR obtain the bezel designed for the webcam model. Both part numbers are listed in that reply.

If you wanted a webcam that's better than the 720P supplied in the 2570P, then could certain get one as an external USB device. Not as convenient.

Could a better internal webcam be fitted? The issue will be in getting a module with microphone and webcam with the right pinout and size to fit in the bezel. I found that ZBooks use a 720P webcam too so no chance of cross upgrading there. HP probably figure 720p is enough for skype. Interesting to note that the three generations older Elitebook 2530P had a 2MP webcam but the module is way different. A HP CQ42 has a 1.3MP webcam module and it looks more like a 2570P one.

That's right. I noted in my previous reply that you'd need to drill a hole in your non-webcam bezel to give a view out for the retrofitted webcam module OR obtain the bezel designed for the webcam model. Both part numbers are listed in that reply.

If you wanted a webcam that's better than the 720P supplied in the 2570P, then could certain get one as an external USB device. Not as convenient.

Could a better internal webcam be fitted? The issue will be in getting a module with microphone and webcam with the right pinout and size to fit in the bezel. I found that ZBooks use a 720P webcam too so no chance of cross upgrading there. HP probably figure 720p is enough for skype. Interesting to note that the three generations older Elitebook 2530P had a 2MP webcam but the module is way different. A HP CQ42 has a 1.3MP webcam module and it looks more like a 2570P one.

I'll see if I can borrow a drill and file. Just got back and am finally using it! Had to get this since my DTR got stolen.

Upon further inspection, I'm loving the keyboard so far. I noticed that pentalobe screws are being used. Don't know if this is normal or used as an obstacle to hide dodgy defects. Since I don't have a pentalobe screwdriver I can't check just yet. Am I being overly paranoid?

I'll see if I can borrow a drill and file. Just got back and am finally using it! Had to get this since my DTR got stolen.

Upon further inspection, I'm loving the keyboard so far. I noticed that pentalobe screws are being used. Don't know if this is normal or used as an obstacle to hide dodgy defects. Since I don't have a pentalobe screwdriver I can't check just yet. Am I being overly paranoid?

The torx screws used to piece together the 2570P have been doing so for a while. I've noted them on all Elitebooks since owning my first HP 2510P.

Advantage of Torx is there's never a chance of rounding them plus they give great torque spread when loosening/tightening. Might also deter the casual user from dismanting the system. Yes, need to acquire a torx screwdriver set. Will serve you well. Can be used to dismantle Dell Latitudes too.

Nothing dodgy about torx screws used to piece together the 2570P. I've noted them on all Elitebooks since owning my first HP 2510P. Advantage is there's never a chance of rounding them out plus they give great torque spread when loosening/tightening. Might also deter the casual user from dismanting the system. Yes, need to acquire a torx screwdriver set. Will serve you well, including if you ever happen to dismantle Dell Latitudes.

Thanks for the pointers. This is my first business line of laptops and it feels quite good.

About the 1.3MP webcam part, I'll look into that a bit more with the connectors, unless it's a standard plug and play. Will make my order by the weekend and get back to you if it turns out successful or otherwise.

Hello, I have a little curiosity to ask: the eGPU link works wiring the external LCD to the graphic card (via DisplayPort in my case), or directly via the expression card link only (from Optimus, I guess). Will the second option introducing latency, or it's the same?

Hello, I have a little curiosity to ask: the eGPU link works wiring the external LCD to the graphic card (via DisplayPort in my case), or directly via the expression card link only (from Optimus, I guess). Will the second option introducing latency, or it's the same?

Not sure what an "expansion card link" is. However the answer is you'll get best performance wiring the LCD directly to the video card. Attaching it using the notebook HDMI/DP connector will use NVidia Optimus to route display traffic back across the restricted x1 link and noticable decrease performance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ops, was EC, but obviously I mean the DP from the dock station.

But it's a problem to keep both cables attached, selecting only the direct link on the graphic card?

In Windows I can see two different "monitors" by that.

Ops, was EC, but obviously I mean the DP from the dock station.

But it's a problem to keep both cables attached, selecting only the direct link on the graphic card?

In Windows I can see two different "monitors" by that.

Would you mind rephrasing what you are asking with your question "But it's a problem to keep both cables attached, selecting only the direct link on the graphic card?"

• Thumbs Up 1

Would you mind rephrasing what you are asking with your question "But it's a problem to keep both cables attached, selecting only the direct link on the graphic card?"

My bad, I was too tired yesterday :P

My setup is an external LCD with a double connection:

- eGpu on Hdmi port

- iGpu on DisplayPort

Now, usually I left both cables attached, therefore both iGpu and eGpu works (so, windows finds out two "different" external monitors in the manager). Is this a problem? Or unplugging the iGpu link before POST (disabling the iGpu) would be better? Thanks Tech Inferno Fan.

Hey guys I finally found two copies of this amazing notebook HP 2570P and guess what its so dirt cheap I could get one right away locally!

$249 bucks gives me this notebook, a good backup battery, charger, i5 3320M, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HDD

Sounds sweet?

Is upgrading to an i7-3840QM a straight swap with its default MOBO and BIOS or some mods and highers ac adapter are required?

Thanks in advance!

Expresscard vs wifi mini pcie has faster bandwidth for en eGPU?

Hey guys I finally found two copies of this amazing notebook HP 2570P and guess what its so dirt cheap I could get one right away locally!

$249 bucks gives me this notebook, a good backup battery, charger, i5 3320M, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HDD

Sounds sweet?

Very sweet!

Is upgrading to an i7-3840QM a straight swap with its default MOBO and BIOS or some mods and highers ac adapter are required?

It should be a straight swap (but right now it's tested only with pre-F.50 bios, I think). Note that some heat handling could be required. Please read the first post for more info.

It's the same (but EC is more plug and play).

Very sweet!

Very much heck of a deal!

It should be a straight swap (but right now it's tested only with pre-F.50 bios, I think). Note that some heat handling could be required. Please read the first post for more info.

- Alright I will thanks!

It's the same (but EC is more plug and play).

Alright I get the context but literally plug and play for eGPU? or I have to attach my eGPU before booting up? (dumb question LOL)

Sounds sweet?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats. $249 is a great price. i7-3840QM is a straight CPU swap in a 2570P. 2570P is one of few, if the only, 12" notebook with a socketted CPU to allow that.

My bad, I was too tired yesterday :P

My setup is an external LCD with a double connection:

- eGpu on Hdmi port

- iGpu on DisplayPort

Now, usually I left both cables attached, therefore both iGpu and eGpu works (so, windows finds out two "different" external monitors in the manager). Is this a problem? Or unplugging the iGpu link before POST (disabling the iGpu) would be better? Thanks Tech Inferno Fan.

Never done it that way before. Seems a bit strange to have one LCD connected to two ports. In any case, any app started on the LCD attached to the iGPU will use Optimus so require more PCIe bandwidth and be slower. You want to start the app on the external LCD attached to the eGPU to maximise the bandwidth use.

Never done it that way before. Seems a bit strange to have one LCD connected to two ports.

Maybe it's strange, but very useful if I want to switch fast from loudly (fans) "gaming egpu-mode" to silent "working igpu mode".

Pretty much stuck at how to access those variables to be able to make some TDP adjustments. Maybe the the author of the Universal IFR extractor can have a look at the above bin file and lend a hand? donovan6000's Blog: Universal IFR Extractor

It's pretty common for bios manufacturers to use a generic string package that's made to cover a large range of bios settings. This makes it so they don't have to spend time rewriting a new string package for every bios they release, and this results in a lot of unused strings. The same thing happened in my bios where I saw some strings related to overclocking, however no options exists in the IFR for them. There could still be variables in the nvram that correspond to the non-existing options, but we can't accuratley manipulate them since we don't know their offsets in the nvram or the values that relate to the different states of the option.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's pretty common for bios manufacturers to use a generic string package that's made to cover a large range of bios settings. This makes it so they don't have to spend time rewriting a new string package for every bios they release, and this results in a lot of unused strings. The same thing happened in my bios where I saw some strings related to overclocking, however no options exists in the IFR for them. There could still be variables in the nvram that correspond to the non-existing options, but we can't accuratley manipulate them since we don't know their offsets in the nvram or the values that relate to the different states of the option.

Oh well, so we are stuck for good. Thanks @donovan6000 for the kind reply :)