Ok guys, I made up my mind.

Monday I will get an Asus-GTX-770-DirectCU-II-OC-2GB-DDR5 (for 250 €) and the i7-3720QM (180€). The upgrade of the RAM (16Gb 1600 Mhrz) has be posponed for now (hope I will be able to use the 8,00 Gb Corsair DDR3-1066 CL7 from my actual machine on the HP). @Tech Inferno Fan please satisfy my curiosity: how much the GtX770 will be limited in 1.2opt compared to a Gtx760?

Ok guys, I made up my mind.

Monday I will get an Asus-GTX-770-DirectCU-II-OC-2GB-DDR5 (for 250 €) and the i7-3720QM (180€). The upgrade of the RAM (16Gb 1600 Mhrz) has be posponed for now (hope I will be able to use the 8,00 Gb Corsair DDR3-1066 CL7 from my actual machine on the HP). @Tech Inferno Fan please satisfy my curiosity: how much the GtX770 will be limited in 1.2opt compared to a Gtx760?

GTX770 will be bandwidth limited to the same level as a GTX760, x1 2.0 + pci-e compression. When the bandwidth limits are not being applied then the GTX770 can be up to 21% faster as shown at NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2 GB Review | techPowerUp .

I have a mini GTX670 and a GTX770. I use the GTX770 just to get benchmarks done. Once completed, I'll be keeping the mini GTX670 since real-world gaming doesn't vary much between them. The GTX770 is about twice the size of the GTX670. I certainly notice it's need for more desk space. Power consumption for it is higher too.

I'd suggest look for a mini GTX670, mini GTX760, GTX680 (195W TDP) or GTX770 (229W TDP) in that order.

GTX770 will be bandwidth limited to the same level as a GTX760, x1 2.0 + pci-e compression. When the bandwidth limits are not being applied then the GTX770 can be up to 21% faster as shown at NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2 GB Review | techPowerUp .

I have a mini GTX670 and a GTX770. I use the GTX770 just to get benchmarks done. Once completed, I'll be keeping the mini GTX670 since real-world gaming doesn't vary much between them. The GTX770 is about twice the size of the GTX670. I certainly notice it's need for more desk space. Power consumption for it is higher too.

I'd suggest look for a mini GTX670, mini GTX760, GTX680 (195W TDP) or GTX770 (229W TDP) in that order.

Mini GTX670 would be ideal but it's out of stock everywhere. I can find Mini GTX760 for 235 euros and GTX770 for 250 euro. For 15 euros of difference maybe a 21% faster card is worth of. But real-world gaming doesn't vary much between them cause the limited bandwidth or cause they are both powerfull?

Mini GTX670 would be ideal but it's out of stock everywhere. I can find Mini GTX760 for 235 euros and GTX770 for 250 euro. For 15 euros of difference maybe a 21% faster card is worth of. But real-world gaming doesn't vary much between them cause the limited bandwidth or cause they are both powerfull?

Yes, for 15 euros I too would get the GTX770. It will have better resale. You may still want to see if there are secondband GTX680 cards available on your local ebay. That should get you the lowest cost option, that is within 5% of GTX770 performance AND can be mated to the Dell 220W AC adapter appearing with the various eGPU adapters.

Real-world gaming doesn't vary that much between GTX670/760/680/770 because of the limited bandwidth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, for 15 euros I too would get the GTX770. It will have better resale. You may still want to see if there are secondband GTX680 cards available on your local ebay. That should get you the lowest cost option, that is within 5% of GTX770 performance AND can be mated to the Dell 220W AC adapter appearing with the various eGPU adapters.

Real-world gaming doesn't vary that much between GTX670/760/680/770 because of the limited bandwidth.

No secondhand. Gtx680 can outbound the 220 limit too, it seems http://media.bestofmicro.com/Y/Y/386170/original/07-Power-Consumption-Torture-Max-Values.png

Out of curiosity, is x2.2 implementation possible in the 2570p? The PE4C 2.0 adapter seems like a promising piece of technology and attaching a PM3N to the buggy WLAN port could make one suspect that x2.2 might just work.

Any thoughts guys?

Those figures would be for OC-edition cards. TDP of cards with NVidia stock clocks are: GTX670=170W, GTX760=170W, GTX680=195W, GTX770=229W.

@Tech Inferno Fan thanks, so the 770 works pretty much the same of 760 cause the bandwidth... mmmm.

If so...will this AC work with a 670 mini, right? Genuine Original Dell OptiPlex DA-2 Series 220W AC Adapter Power Supply Charger | eBay

I can't decide between all the fun things to do here :)

Out of curiosity, is x2.2 implementation possible in the 2570p? The PE4C 2.0 adapter seems like a promising piece of technology and attaching a PM3N to the buggy WLAN port could make one suspect that x2.2 might just work.

Any thoughts guys?

Not possible because of the electrical port layout of the expresscard and mPCIe slot. Screencap of Setup 1.x of my 2570P with eGPU attached shows what's going on:

2ebvgap.jpg

port1=unused

port2=expresscard

port3=SD card reader

port4=wifi

Had HP wired port1/3=expresscard slot and port2/4=wifi slot (or vice versa), then yes, we could do a x2 2.0 eGPU implementation. That would have involved flashing a new ME Firmware that hard sets port1/3 as x2 and using a PE4C 2.0 to do it.

Now last time I used a Dell Latitude E6230, it appeared to have electrical port layout for x2 2.0. Problem there is no known easy way of flashing the ME Firmware. Meaning it would be necessary to de-solder the bios chip, program it with a USB SPI programmer with modified ME FW, then solder it back on. Not a readily accessible mod with that amount of work.

@Tech Inferno Fan thanks, so the 770 works pretty much the same of 760 cause the bandwidth... mmmm.

If so...will this AC work with a 670 mini, right? Genuine Original Dell OptiPlex DA-2 Series 220W AC Adapter Power Supply Charger | eBay

I can't decide between all the fun things to do here :)

PE4L doesn't have native wiring to use a Dell DA-2 PSU. It could be used, but modifications would be needed. If you wanted to use that DA-2 with plug'n'play ease then you'd need a EXP GDC V6 eGPU adapter. Note: Just released BPlus PE4C V2 uses a DA-2 with a non-standard single pin DC jack end.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi everybody,

New proud owner of a 2570p here. Bought a model with i7-3520, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and a dock for €750. Initially I thought I made a bargain, but after reading here that some people bought a 2570p for less than €150... A never mind, still happy with my new Elitebook.

Anyway, first step was to order a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, since all my devices work with HDMI and none of them with DP. After that I ordered a second power supply for the dock, a HDD caddy to place a 1TB HDD, and off course an PE4L adapter to connect my GTX760 to the 2570p.

But first I managed to buy a new processor, it is a i7-3630QM for €75 which I thought was a pretty good deal compared to the price I paid for the laptop itself.

I also read some things about cooling mods, so I decided I needed one of those as well. Ordered 5 25mmx25mmx1mm copper shims from eBay for a few bucks which will arrive in a few weeks :(. I still have a question about the cooling mod: do you add thermal paste between each layer, or just between the CPU and the copper shim? So is it CPU-->Thermal paste-->Copper shim-->Thermal paste-->Heat sink or CPU-->Thermal paste-->Copper shim-->Heat sink

Love to hear from you guys.

Cheers,

Jevon

150€ for that setup? Someone must have been lucky... 750€ sounds fine for that kind of hardware, not too expensive imo.

The first one, "CPU-->Thermal paste-->Copper shim-->Thermal paste-->Heat sink".

@Jefferson92

I have some spare mod parts you could buy for cheap if you like? (I'm selling off my system)

• re-enforced heatsink and heat pipe

• bottom cover with holes drilled for better fan air intake

• HDD caddy with 2570p ODD faceplate (for a second hdd/ssd)

• Genuine HP 90W travel charger

• Extra fan + heatsink

Tell me if your interested!

Edit: it's good to able to restore it to original parts for re-sale value and HP service matters.

It's here! Nice little laptop, so much potential :)

I'm waiting for the CPU and the Vga now (next week).

I have to say that your current modded system seems spectacular for its age, nice job!

What graphics scores does get? (both eGPU and dual internal dGPU's)

EDIT: you might even have an own thread for this project?

I have to say that your current modded system seems spectacular for its age, nice job!

What graphics scores does get? (both eGPU and dual internal dGPU's)

EDIT: you might even have an own thread for this project?

Thanks @jacobsson, you're too kind, and I liked your 3d printed enclosure very much :)

For the 1340: it is in my opinion an amazing machine that still works perfectly fine today after six+ years. I change it with the 2570p only 'cause I'd be able to pick up a very good bargain, and... you know... i was Geek-bored :)

Unlucky I just sold my Gtx550ti, so no benchmark for it, but if you like I can test the dGPU's and the gtx660 next week, on both Dell and Hp.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's done :) Modding it's a veeery different country compared to the 1340. 13 total screws instead of 42!

i7-3720QM

16Gb CL9 DDR3 1600

Hdspa+Gps module

RAID0 Samsung 830 Pro 128Gb ( ~8sec from power on to desktop)

Now I'm waiting for the Gtx660 (Sunday).

It's done :) Modding it's a veeery different country compared to the 1340. 13 total screws instead of 42!

i7-3720QM

16Gb CL9 DDR3 1600

Hdspa+Gps module

RAID0 Samsung 830 Pro 128Gb ( ~8sec from power on to desktop)

Now I'm waiting for the Gtx660 (Sunday).

Congrats on getting it all sorted. Can you provide the i7-3720QM Throttlestop VID/TDP table like here. I'm thinking that if it can hold x34, it's highest 4-core multi) then it would be the best value CPU to get for our systems to work within the TDP and temp limitations. You can see that there is now an example of the i7-3630QM, a suggested CPU, being unable to hold it's x32 4-core multi within TDP. SO yeah.. You might be 300Mhz ahead in getting the i7-3720QM instead.

@Uftherr , could you contribute your i7-3720QM Throttlestop benchmark results too?