INFO: 2570P WWAN/WIFI/Bluetooth whitelist

I dug out my ES 6235 and did some tests. The laptop booted into Windows without issue, it just had to install the 6235 specific drivers. The BIOS doesn't give any hassle or show any nag screens like if you had a non-whitelisted device. Here's some screenshots:

post-8761-14494996210905_thumb.png

I'm not sure why this one works vs a regular 6235, as the vendor and HW IDs are the same as a regular 6235 (at least what I could find on the internet) and are not on the whitelist. Maybe an upgrade path for people who want new wifi cards. There's Intel 7260 cards on ebay for 17.80 US, maybe worth a gamble for someone. Worst case, throw it in your desktop with an adapter.

Intel 7260 HMWBNWB 802 11n PCI Express Bluetooth 4 0 Wi Fi Bluetooth Combo | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

Strong speculation: the WWAN slot can be WWAN+mPCIe with soldered resistors

This whitelisted device is a combo IEEE 802.16e WiMAX and 802.11 b/g/n WiFi wireless adapter which the 6150 product brief tells us uses Connector interface: PCIe electrical interface for WiFi, USB 2.0 for WiMAX.

The 2570P wifi slot is PCIe only with no USB lines connected. The WWAN slot is only USB 2.0 from the factory. Though the 2560P schematic shows port1 pci-e line to the WWAN slot which never made it to production.

So then this is a strong indicator that wiring up those extra 4 disconnected lines in the WWAN slot (23,25,31,33) using 0ohm SMT resistors could extend that slot from USB to USB+PCIe. If so it means too then it wouldn't be USB+mSATA as mSATA and mPCIe uses those same same transmission tracks.

Any thoughts as to whether conductive pen or using a pencil would work for this? I've done some SMT soldering before, but I'd rather try that before soldering on my primary pc. I've found that bridging those types of connections with some 30 awg wrapping wire works well.

post-8761-14494996210418_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I dug out my ES 6235 and did some tests. The laptop booted into Windows without issue, it just had to install the 6235 specific drivers. The BIOS doesn't give any hassle or show any nag screens like if you had a non-whitelisted device. Here's some screenshots:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9170[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9171[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure why this one works vs a regular 6235, as the vendor and HW IDs are the same as a regular 6235 (at least what I could find on the internet) and are not on the whitelist. Maybe an upgrade path for people who want new wifi cards. There's Intel 7260 cards on ebay for 17.80 US, maybe worth a gamble for someone. Worst case, throw it in your desktop with an adapter.

Intel 7260 HMWBNWB 802 11n PCI Express Bluetooth 4 0 Wi Fi Bluetooth Combo | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts as to whether conductive pen or using a pencil would work for this? I've done some SMT soldering before, but I'd rather try that before soldering on my primary pc. I've found that bridging those types of connections with some 30 awg wrapping wire works well.

and from http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-29.html#post69802 :

Worst case, please keep the WLAN disabled whitelist in future BIOS updates. I just tried an Intel 1000 and Atheros AR5B91 I had laying around. Both showed in the BIOS as TEST WLAN and showed in Windows. Safe to say that the whitelisting is broken or disabled.

wifi whitelist bug: BIOS programmer error or generous easter egg?

Thanks for posting this which inspired me to test a Intel 5100AGN I had laying around from a 2530P. Managed to trial install the full-sized card into the half-sized 2570P wifi slot by having it lean on an angle. I too got it detected and working without any bios nags. I too see a Test WLAN bios info item instead of a FCC ID as shown in the spoiler:

B4ezHTi.jpg[

kXhyhRf.png

The whitelist code that appears to be allowing this to pass through is below as found in 5EE86B35-0839-4A21-8845-F1ACB0F688AB_3_205.ROM module decompressed by PhoenixTool. You'll notice there is a 8086 Intel vendor ID entry, 5678:1234 and 0000:0000 (NULL?). Whitelist entries prior to this follow the pattern [PCI ID][alternate PCI ID][FCC ID][0xFFFF end-of-entry string]. This one bucks the trend. Is this a BIOS programmer oversight or a generous easter egg?

Anybody want to try a Intel 802.11ac (7260.HMWW) that's not in the whitelist and report what happens? 802.11ac would be a nice upgrade for us.

qzkc.png

I have this to test, Im pretty sure it's a RALINK. I have test it after the weekend though!

That's a USB card so can't be used in the pci-e only wifi slot unfortunately. You can try it in the WWAN slot (USB) but I'm pretty sure there is no such coding bug allowing non-whitelist USB WWAN/wifi cards to be used in the WWAN slot.

Anybody else can test non-Intel wifi (eg: Bigfoot Killer-N) as well as newer Intel 802.1ac?

I've tried that too, it differs less than 100 points for me, at least when I made the test for my E530 + GX670. I'll make a test with my 2570p without the eGPU attached right now and come back to you =)

EDIT: The test shows a difference of ~600 points in score, so I agree with you.

EDIT2: This means that the higher physics score is correlated to the eGPU and not solely depending on CPU.

Hmm I'm not so sure about that, If the Physics score purely depends on the CPU then @Aikimox should have similar or better Physics score than me:

My score(3820QM) vs Aikimox score(3840QM)

I score 1300 points more (~ +18%) so it must be some additional variables in this equation.

Likely because the iGPU isn't being used so the 35W can be dedicated for the CPU + higher turbo boost instead of being divided between iGPU+CPU. Can you monitor the CPU with Throttlestop or hwinfo64 to see what turbo multipliers you're hitting with and without the eGPU attached during the test?

Still a very good score, did you run it stock of overclocked? I'd like to know if your CPU is able to hold 3.5ghz on all cores during 3Dmark11. Can you confirm this by running HWinfo64 while benching? I'm seeing a rather random effect.

Since I can't monitor the frequencies when running the test I can't for sure tell if they are active simultaneously?

Anyway, I reset the sensor status just before running the benchmark and got this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9175[/ATTACH]

I seems like they are running @3,7GHz, except core#2 that seems to prefer 3,6GHz? Weird...

EDIT: Did a test in prime95 blend and actually reached 104c @core#2 which made the CPU to throttle.

i7-3820QM will run x37 (1 core), x36 (2 cores) or x35 (4 cores) at it's default 45W power limits as explained at Intel Core i7 3820QM Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech .. You can easily view what it's doing by installing Throttlestop (download from

ThrottleStop - Downloads - Tech|Inferno Forums ) and then doing a 'TS bench' as shown below.

eg: I'm running x33 (2 cores / 4 threads) as I'd expect per Intel Core i5 3360M Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech . TS is showing 2 threads per core as I have HyperThreading enabled.

Yours will show 8 threads. Incidentally Throttlestop would be the software you'd be using to set higher multipliers and/or power limits if your CPU was unlocked.

5vhh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but for the longest time I couldn't change the brightness of my display sometimes after going into suspend. This MS hotfix corrected the issue, but is designed for the following specific scenario:

• You have a laptop that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
  • You set the When I close the lid setting to Do nothing on the laptop.
  • When the laptop starts to enter sleep mode (system power state S3), you close the lid before the laptop enters to the sleep mode.
  • You open the lid and resume the laptop from the sleep mode.

I'd wake the laptop from sleep and be unable to change the brightness from where I left it. The hotkey overlay would show empty/full dim and I couldn't change the brightness using the brightness slider in W7 properties.

Screen brightness changes and you cannot adjust the screen brightness after you resume a laptop from sleep mode in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Hopefully it helps someone!

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know if somebody noticed it but there is a visible defference in PhysicsScore ind 3dm11 when used 90W and 65W adpater. Im curious whther there will be another boost when use 120W.

i7-3632QM with 90W

i7-3632QM with 65W

I need to correct myself. There is no PhysicsScore boost on 90W in comparison to 65W. The source of boost is ... eGPU. I don't know why. I thought Physics tests are independant to overal CPU+GPU performance but they're not.

i7+iGPU on 65W vs i7+iGPU on 90W vs i7+eGPU on 90W

• Thumbs Up 1

I need to correct myself. There is no PhysicsScore boost on 90W in comparison to 65W. The source of boost is ... eGPU. I don't know why. I thought Physics tests are independant to overal CPU+GPU performance but they're not.

i7+iGPU on 65W vs i7+iGPU on 90W vs i7+eGPU on 90W

Is the Physics test being done on the eGPU with an external LCD attached? If it is, disconnected it so Optimus renders using the iGPU instead. That engages the iGPU in the same way as the iGPU-only test. As mentioned earlier, with the iGPU active and functioning, turbo boost for the CPU has to be limited for the package (CPU+iGPU) to remain within TDP. So an additional benefit of the eGPU (with external LCD attached) is higher CPU performance when iGPU is disconnected or not being used for graphics acceleration.

i7-3820QM will run x37 (1 core), x36 (2 cores) or x35 (4 cores) at it's default 45W power limits as explained at Intel Core i7 3820QM Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech .. You can easily view what it's doing by installing Throttlestop (download from

ThrottleStop - Downloads - Tech|Inferno Forums ) and then doing a 'TS bench' as shown below.

eg: I'm running x33 (2 cores / 4 threads) as I'd expect per Intel Core i5 3360M Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech . TS is showing 2 threads per core as I have HyperThreading enabled.

Yours will show 8 threads. Incidentally Throttlestop would be the software you'd be using to set higher multipliers and/or power limits if your CPU was unlocked.

5vhh.png

@jacobsson , were you able to do some poking around in Throttlestop to see what your turbo and power limits are and whether they can be altered when click TRL and TPL buttons? You have a ES i7-3820QM which may have some unlocked features.

Is the Physics test being done on the eGPU with an external LCD attached? If it is, disconnected it so Optimus renders using the iGPU instead. That engages the iGPU in the same way as the iGPU-only test. As mentioned earlier, with the iGPU active and functioning, turbo boost for the CPU has to be limited for the package (CPU+iGPU) to remain within TDP. So an additional benefit of the eGPU (with external LCD attached) is higher CPU performance when iGPU is disconnected or not being used for graphics acceleration.

Yes, You were right but here NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3632QM,Hewlett-Packard 17DF you have i7+eGPU+90W on internal. 200pkt less than on external but still 300pkt more than on internal iGPU :)

Yes, You were right but here NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3632QM,Hewlett-Packard 17DF you have i7+eGPU+90W on internal. 200pkt less than on external but still 300pkt more than on internal iGPU :)

So loading the iGPU with what is buffer copies (eGPU->iGPU) does lower the 3dm11 physics. Unfortunately you cannot put a heavier load on the iGPU in the background. If you could it would likely eliminate that 300pt difference since the iGPU acceleration would be used to render the image, increasing package TDP and lowering TDP available for the CPU along with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Greetings everyone...

My trusty 2530p has finally become too old & unreliable after years of service... so I just purchased a used 2570p i7-3520M on eBay. I should have it by the weekend, and I can't wait! I'm a recording engineer, so I'm looking forward to finally having a portable computer that can run the more processor intensive apps I use regularly (on my desktop PC). I also like to tinker/solder, so I'm happy to have a device I can actually service myself.

I'm sure I'll have questions at some point, but I just wanted to say hi and thank everyone here for a great, informative forum. I almost bought the new 820, but realized I could save a $1000 after reading this thread (and get something more appropriate for my purposes too). Oh, and I did read the whole thread! Interesting stuff.

Best,

Aj

Added more conversation quotes here. After a string of emails which suggested that a ZBook 12 was to be considered I hit a brick wall.

Looks like in 12.5" it will be a ULV "820 G1". The recommendation is to look at a 14" Probook 600 as being the smallest genuine 2570P replacement. It has a socketted CPU, dual-drives, better HD/FHD panels and even a dGPU option. No expresscard slot though. The 12.5" 2570P small-and-mighty form factor being discontinued.

INFO: Request for "ZBOOK 12" emailed to HP PSG head executive and reply received

Date: Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Subject: RE: Pls make a "ZBOOK 12" replacement for the Elitebook 2570P. "820 G1" = disappointing

To: Nando

Nando

Thanks for reaching out and expressing your views on the 2570P. This product is being discontinued as we transition our EliteBook platforms using newer Intel Haswell ULT chipset which require bonding to the board to achieve the thin and light design goals of our Elite Series notebooks. The EliteBook 800 series represent a new class of thin and light yet with enterprise class quality and durability but is not a replacement to the 2570P. We recently introduced the HP ProBook 600 series available in a 14” which supports socketed CPUs and dual high performance hard drives. This product was announced October 1 so you can expect to see it online shortly. This is the model I’d recommend you take a look at as a replacement to the 2570P. The ProBook 600 is about 20% thinner than previous generation and includes a rich feature set including all day battery life, discrete graphics, optional 4G LTE WWAN, USB 3.0, Display Port 1.2 paired up with new Full HD and HD+ screen options, all in one very sleek industrial design.

Thank you for providing your feedback. And thank you for your support of the HP brand and the products we build.

Enrique

Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Subject: Re: Pls make a "ZBOOK 12" replacement for the Elitebook 2570P. "820 G1" = disappointing

To: "Weisler, Dion" <[email protected]>, "Lores, Enrique" <[email protected]>

Hi Dion,

This is great news! I'm glad to know you are giving a 'ZBook 12' serious consideration. I've been a big fan of the 12" Elitebooks having owned 2570P, 2560P, 2530P and 2510P units and maintained owner's threads for each:

http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html

* *HP EliteBook 2560p Owners Lounge*

* *HP EliteBook 2530p Owners Lounge*

* *HP 2510p Owners Lounge*

* 'master blaster' is my work that's being hosted illegally by NBR. NBR ignore copyright-based DMCA takedowns of that material after them banning me for suggesting a 2570P over Lenovo notebooks. Legal enforcement of the takedown is tricky as I'm in Australia.

These threads gave these units global exposure. I'd like to continue my ownership streak.

Thank you also for taking the time to respond to my emails.

Nando

Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Subject: RE: Pls make a "ZBOOK 12" replacement for the Elitebook 2570P. "820 G1" = disappointing

To: Nando "Lores, Enrique" <[email protected]>

Hi Nando

I have discussed the matter with Enrique Lores who is the SVP for our Commercial Business. He will study this with his team. Unfortunately, because we do not talk about unannounced products, we will not be able to give you direct feedback on our decision. We take all our customer feedback very seriously and thank you for taking the time to write to us. Rest assured that your suggestion is being studied and we will make an appropriate decision.

Many thanks

Dion

Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Subject: Re: Pls make a "ZBOOK 12" replacement for the Elitebook 2570P. "820 G1" = disappointing

To: "Weisler, Dion" <[email protected]>

Hi Dion,

Am curious if you have anything to report about the request to create a Zbook 12?

The other reason I'm sending this email is I've updated the 12.5" HP Elitebook 2570P Owner's Lounge @ TechInferno. Done because the lack of a true HP 2570P (or other vendor) successor means I'm looking at a long 2570P ownership stint.

That updated thread making it easy to understand why a Zbook 12 is desirable system. A system that would fit nicely into the ZBook 14/15/17 range. The thread identifies missing 2570P performance features in the '820 G1' that your 2570P marketting team or even tech reviewers have completely missed. Namely, the upgradable CPU, ODD for second HDD/SSD, RAID-0/1 support, expresscard slot for eGPU use and upgradable wifi.

Not surprised then that the Lenovo's X230 was the dominant ultraportable in the last sales cycle.

Thanks,

Nando

• Thumbs Up 3