Hi there!

I own a 2570P and just read, that i could upgrade its CPU a bit. But i am not completely sure, which one to get to fit properly to the socket and the peripherals in general. Could someone help me out?

My laptop has the i5-3340M installed, chipset seems to be "7 Series/C216" or QM77 (according to the hardware manager, i dont know which one applies). BIOS version is V73 Rev. A. (just upgraded).

I was going with the i7-3740QM (or 3820QM) but will it fit the socket and work in general? Do i have to make any modifications to the BIOS (or other settings) to make it work properly?

Many thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: Ok, i found the top post... stupid me. I will go for a 3820QM, adjust it a tad with Throttlestop and mod the heatsink slightly with some copper pads. :)

I have tried to find a 820 G1 Keyboard, but there are no real offers (mostly unilluminated). And i have read here, that the connectors and physical appearance do not fit properly, so i will stick to night vision goggles ^^

EDIT2: Is there any fan  that is better then the stock one? I just thought about upgrading it too, but i cant find any information about the stock one to look for a better after market part...

EDIT3: So everything is on its way, i am going to glue a 2mm copper plate on the heatsink (over the complete surface, glue on the left and right side, thermal paste in the middle) and some copper shims near to the outlet.

I just wanted to add a custom boot logo but my HP_TOOLS partition is missing, And in addition i do not know which tool is necessary to recreate it. Some folks in the internet have asked the same question but the link to the HP support page is dead, so i am still clueless... Maybe someone has an image of an original driver disc around and could upload it somewhere, that would be great :)

Edited by Enigma_2

So, the swap was successful, but I encountered a new problem. The i7-3840QM is recognized in the BIOS correctly as it is but windows shows it as i5-3340M. Is there anything I can do to correct this issue? I want the processor to work properly and that windows uses it as intended :)

EDIT: Nah, its okay now. Just a Windows update and two restarts and everything is ok. BTW the thermal management is now very good, even without additional software-modding (as suggested). No fan when booting up, long time no fan in idle and until now (downloaded/updated some games, high load on CPU [~70%] and SSD [up to 100%]) the fan has not reached max level (i observed that it has about 5 power levels, 0/25/50/75/100% and never got over 75%). So far i am very satisfied how the general result turned out :)

Just for Info, here is my HW-spec:

- i7-3820QM

- 16GB ram

- 504GB SSD

- maxed out heatsink

Everything else is standard.

For everyone interested, i installed a massive 2mm copper plate (in "+" shape, to maximize the contact surface to the aluminim block) on the heatsink (Arctic Silver MX-4 in the center and on the ribs, attached with EC360 thermal conductive silicone glue), 1x2mm copper shim (lower potion of the heatsink-pipe) and 1x1mm copper shim (upper potion) and 4x1,5mm copper shims on the heatsink. All copper shims are attached with the EC360 glue and have a size of 15mmx15mm. The "Heat-Vortex" (as i call it ^^) is coupled with the MX-4 thermal paste to the processor.

For being the very first time touching a processor, thermal paste and a heatsink myself i am very pleased with the result and that noching went wrong or shorted out :D

Edited by Enigma_2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No need to upgrade heatsink.

I am running a 3940xm since a year and the CPU will max out at 3.6 Ghz on 6 cores, 3.2 Ghz on 8 cores (obviously with HT, knowing that the max freq on 8 cores is 3.6 Ghz, but the BIOS is virtually limiting the multiplier on the XM editions to 3.2 Ghz). Means : I will run at 3.0 Ghz in stress test at ~95°C. So a 3840 QM will max out without problem at maybe 80-85°C or even 95°C because my XM is clamped.

The solution ? Buy good thermal paste. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, I gained 10-15°C (maybe even more) only by swapping this thermal paste. Drastic change. I drilled a small hole (half the size of a penny). also on the back. I can even run fan off with good ThrottleStop settings.

Edited by juandante

• 2 weeks later...

There you go.

https://ibb.co/WxJXFNR

Bis zum Sommer war ich regelmäßig in Würzburg. Mittlerweile leider nicht mehr...

I am not entirely sure, but i think that juandante is right, my 3820QM has not been throttled down so far, even when loaded up to the maximum. But i will keep an eye on it. BTW i have upgraded to a Samsung 2TB SSD, the old one was too slow and already too small. Maybe i am going to get some new RAM, the one mounted is of questionable quality (no labels or anything)...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 5:30 PM, Enigma_2 said:

There you go.

https://ibb.co/WxJXFNR

Bis zum Sommer war ich regelmäßig in Würzburg. Mittlerweile leider nicht mehr...

I am not entirely sure, but i think that juandante is right, my 3820QM has not been throttled down so far, even when loaded up to the maximum. But i will keep an eye on it. BTW i have upgraded to a Samsung 2TB SSD, the old one was too slow and already too small. Maybe i am going to get some new RAM, the one mounted is of questionable quality (no labels or anything)...

Thank you very much, looks simple but effective  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 4:28 PM, darkshvein said:

good day, all.

sorry for offtop, but can you suggest me other socketted cpu laptops? google have no single list(

Note that if your sole purpose is to have a socketed laptop, any cheap i5 is faster and cooler and battery efficient than the best i7 socketed laptop back in the day. 

Now, one BIG advantage of socketed laptops is that they usually have a lot of internal and external ports and in consequence storage upgrade possibilities, that's why I still have the 2570p. You can upgrade a lot of things, one day make it powerful, another day make it lightweight and power efficient. It is a lot of fun to have control on your laptop.

On other hands, if you can search very good, some rare HP/dell/lenovo etc professional/enterprise ultrabooks do offer the same number of internal and external ports, and they have bigger screen like 14-15 inch and almost identical phisical size as the 2570p because of the bezels and thickness of old laptops

If you get a 2570p in 2023 it must be maximum 50 bucks, if you want to spend more than 100 bucks on any laptop still in 2023 you must get a recent at least a gen 8 (before gen 8 pretty much all Intel CPU where shitty only exception is the 45W laptop i7 but they where not socketed begining 4th Gen), or get an AMD (the recent AMD laptops after 2020 are exceptionnal, faster in all aspects and cheaper than Intel)

The 2570p is still one of the best for 12 inch if you manage to get one for 50 bucks, as well as its lenovo counterpart (forgot the name but you can search this thread) 

Edited by juandante