Hi there folks,

Long time lurker, decided to sign-up in order to be able to better tweak my 2570P.

After reading this whole thread, I've installed a 3632qm which runs nice and temps are 60-65 Celcius under load. It has 2X8GB DDR1600 Kingston so-dimms which run fine. Some questions:

1) This came with an HP 19.5V PSU adapter although some use it with a 18.5V HP adapter? Which one is better? Can I damage the laptop if using the 19.5V one? Both are official.

2) If the laptop is left alone and unused for long periods of time (2-3 months), the keys on the keyboard don't register properly. You have to hit them hard a few times in order for them to start working again properly. Is this a known issue with these laptops?

3) This is a used laptop. It has some profiles in the bios and I always login as "guest" into the bios. Is there any workaround around this in order to remove the old profiles? Bios version is F65, no idea if there are better unofficial modded bios versions out there.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, PadPoet said:

1) This came with an HP 19.5V PSU adapter although some use it with a 18.5V HP adapter? Which one is better? Can I damage the laptop if using the 19.5V one? Both are official.

Both are fine. In fact, a laptop can handle even higher range of voltages just fine, and especially high-end ones like EliteBook series.

17 minutes ago, PadPoet said:

2) If the laptop is left alone and unused for long periods of time (2-3 months), the keys on the keyboard don't register properly. You have to hit them hard a few times in order for them to start working again properly. Is this a known issue with these laptops?

Yes, this is a known issue for laptops that were spilled on with Coca-Cola or beer :))

20 minutes ago, PadPoet said:

3) This is a used laptop. It has some profiles in the bios...

Stock+defaults should be always fine, unless you need something fancy. Maybe read what others achieved modding BIOS in that case

23 hours ago, stoyancho said:

what is a good card to buy now cheap for the expresscard slot. Something really cheap that is good value also have to spend on the egpu and a plus a power supply which is a lot of money for just some pc games

Got a ~$5 2xUSB3.0 card on AliExpress got very good speeds, but rather fragile build quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, stoyancho said:

Batyanko, I have a machine I bought but its bios is password protected do you know anyone who has the bin files

Sorry, I have neither bins not even my 2570p any more. I hope some of the other people here do.

Hello,

I am wondering if someone already tried a vacuum cooler on the 2570p as seen below ? My goal is double :

1/ be able to use the laptop in silent mode (the default fan of the 2570p is not enough silent even at lower RPMs) so the vacuum cooler can "replace" the internal fan when the CPU is in low performance mode and

2/ reduce thermal throttling for the quad-cores in high performance mode (the default fan is not enough powerful, even with upgraded heatpipes).

Also, what do you think about thermoelectric pads ? A thermoelectric pad is like a "mini freezer" (doesn't need any fan or water to cool down something, but needs far more power). My second choice would be to use this pad plugged on an external powersouce (USB seems not enough powerful). Also, there are pads specifically made for smartphones, obviously they will not be able to cool down a full fledge laptop CPU but they could help to reduce the heat in power-saving mode, with no external battery. Nevertheless, didn't find suitable ones for the laptop, and here is a standard thermoelectric pad : https://www.amazon.fr/KIMILAR-Dissipateur-Refroidisseur-thermoélectrique-refroidissement/dp/B00ITMJPCU/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=powerful+laptop+cooler+peltier&qid=1616708231&sr=8-2

And a vacuum cooler :

Opolar LC05 Laptop Cooler with Vacuum Fan (Rapid Cooling, Auto-Temp Detection, 13 Wind Speed, Unique Clamp Design, Compatible with Cooling Pads)

https://www.amazon.com/LC05-Cooling-Auto-Temp-Detection-Compatible/dp/B00XKU47Y2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=opolar+laptop&qid=1581658306&sr=8-2&linkCode=sl1&tag=root0d5-20&linkId=70b64017e0966f958d12ef53d92908ed&language=en_US

Edited by juandante

I have an Opolar and I love it. It has both a temporary clamp-on or permanent mount option. I just use the temporary clamp when I want to use my 3940xm CPU, (this is not an endorsement of using the 3940xm CPU with the 2570p. I had the CPU available to experiment and probably am lucky that I don’t have any issues. I recommend reading other member’s recommendations), to encode video and it works great. No need to slow it down as it doesn’t thermal-throttle with the Opolar set on maximum speed. You can adjust the Opolar speed manually or set it to automatic. I have no other temperature cooling mods. I even just used the thermal grease that Intel packaged with the 3940xm CPU. I didn’t buy any special thermal compound. I’ve never been impressed with aftermarket thermal compounds. I like the Opolar vacuum cooler the best, because when I researched them, the other brands just sat next to the laptop. They didn’t include any clamping hardware. The Opolar isn’t silent, but I wouldn’t say that it’s sound is objectionable. It is a smooth sound even at it’s highest setting. Also, the clamping equipment came with 3 different-sized rubber seals. I used the largest seal and it works great. It fits between the USB/SATA port and extends to cover the rest of the right side of the 2570p clear to the back. The Opolar intake port then lines up well with the 2570p’s exhaust grill.

I still use my 2570p extensively for video work since it’s nicely portable and includes the optical drive, which I upgraded to one of the first Blu-Ray drives that is “4K-UHD compatible,” and still running it’s original BIOS so that it can read 4K-UHD disks while ignoring their copyright protection. Other mods are a Samsung 4TB SSD 860 Pro, 16GB RAM, Intel AC7260 802.11AC WAN adapter, (which is failing and needs replaced), and Windows 10 Pro set to delay Feature Updates for 18 months (maximum) and delay Security Updates for 30 days (maximum) in order to minimize problems.

I wish you good luck and maximum utility value from your modification choices!

Edited by John Entwistle

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 4:05 PM, John Entwistle said:

I have an Opolar and I love it. It has both a temporary clamp-on or permanent mount option. I just use the temporary clamp when I want to use my 3940xm CPU, (this is not an endorsement of using the 3940xm CPU with the 2570p. I had the CPU available to experiment and probably am lucky that I don’t have any issues. I recommend reading other member’s recommendations), to encode video and it works great. No need to slow it down as it doesn’t thermal-throttle with the Opolar set on maximum speed. You can adjust the Opolar speed manually or set it to automatic. I have no other temperature cooling mods. I even just used the thermal grease that Intel (scripts automatique d'installation [local ou via lan])d with the 3940xm CPU. I didn’t buy any special thermal compound. I’ve never been impressed with aftermarket thermal compounds. I like the Opolar vacuum cooler the best, because when I researched them, the other brands just sat next to the laptop. They didn’t include any clamping hardware. The Opolar isn’t silent, but I wouldn’t say that it’s sound is objectionable. It is a smooth sound even at it’s highest setting. Also, the clamping equipment came with 3 different-sized rubber seals. I used the largest seal and it works great. It fits between the USB/SATA port and extends to cover the rest of the right side of the 2570p clear to the back. The Opolar intake port then lines up well with the 2570p’s exhaust grill.

I still use my 2570p extensively for video work since it’s nicely portable and includes the optical drive, which I upgraded to one of the first Blu-Ray drives that is “4K-UHD compatible,” and still running it’s original BIOS so that it can read 4K-UHD disks while ignoring their copyright protection. Other mods are a Samsung 4TB SSD 860 Pro, 16GB RAM, Intel AC7260 802.11AC WAN adapter, (which is failing and needs replaced), and Windows 10 Pro set to delay Feature Updates for 18 months (maximum) and delay Security Updates for 30 days (maximum) in order to minimize problems.

I wish you good luck and maximum utility value from your modification choices

So there is no thermal throttle with the 3940XM (and in consequence, all less power-hungry CPUs as the 3820QM, etc) ? What is the maximum CPU temps in ThrottleStop (screenshot) ? If there is no thermal throttling, this will be undoubtedly the best "simple" mod for the 2570p to unleash its full power.

I did some basic calculations and the 3820QM if there was no throttling would bring the CPU to more than 120°C (at full power the CPU is throttling at about 25W on my laptop, while its normal power is 40W on the 2570p), I find it hard to believe that this cooler can bring down the laptop to 20°C (at least) to limit throttling. I tried a lot of impractical cooling methods (even the freezer, lol) and never managed to bring down the CPU to less than 100°C with no throttling in full load for more than a handful of minutes. How is this possible ? Can you post more information (room temperature, CPU temps, run time, screenshots) ?

Edited by juandante

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all.

Has anyone figure out how to enable CPU turbo boost while on battery power permanently (Or disable Turbo entirely)? I Have a i7 3632QM, 16gb ram, 240gb SSD, and a 62wh battery. Bios version is F.73.

I also have a i7 3740QM, but that thing just roasted in this machine, was stuttering while playing games too due to the 35-40w package power limit we're all so familiar with, which I can only really use at the base 2.7ghz with IGPU load otherwise they fight for power causing the aforementioned stutters.

Cheers.

Edited by [email protected]

• 1 month later...

I had a 3820QM and it was almost never throttling except when hot (100°). If no thermal throttle, it maxed out at arround 40W with 90W charger. I thing the 5W difference (b/c it is rated 45W) is for the GPU, even with TurboBoost the 3820QM was not exceeding 40W with good cooling and almost never throttled. See my previous posts.

What about TPM 2.0 ? Is the 2570p compatible with Windows 11 natively, with mods ? Is the TPM 1.2 chip of the 2570p upgradable ?

Edited by juandante

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 3:29 PM, mikmaze said:

checking in from my now windows 11 pro os on the 2570, thought it wasn't going to be supported, but being on the insider program it updated, and is running fine.    anyone else upgrade to 11?

Please stop with this negligence. "Insider program" = "Beta". It is a marketing term. Running Beta software is risky towards final software. We saw this endless times. The real question, is the computer upgradable on TPM chip ?

Edited by juandante

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 6:23 AM, juandante said:

Please stop with this negligence. "Insider program" = "Beta". It is a marketing term. Running Beta software is risky towards final software. We saw this endless times. The real question, is the computer upgradable on TPM chip ?

2570p with TPM 1.2 is supported on clean Install at least, RTM ISO untouched and without any hacks. Not the same with exact same hardware without tpm (ex. HP dv4/m4/dv6/dv7/m6/m7), which requires ISO/regedit hack.

Edited by gustavoacm

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 2:29 PM, mikmaze said:

checking in from my now windows 11 pro os on the 2570, thought it wasn't going to be supported, but being on the insider program it updated, and is running fine.    anyone else upgrade to 11?

Yes, just edited the "sources/appraiserres.dll" in the windows 11 instalation files. Just "ctrl f" and delete all instances of "TPM", save file and install, kept all my apps and files as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently picked up a 2570p at a local buy nothing group and decided to....test it

Immediately upgraded the CPU/SSD/RAM/amount of dust found within.
This (formerly) dusty turd came with BIOS F.41. I have not upgraded it!

I tried the 2570P-OC ME image earlier in the thread and it broke Intel ME, so I re-flashed the original ME (fpt.exe -f stockme.bin -me) portion I grabbed while in there (fpt.exe -d stockme.bin -me) using info found across a few places to fix it. Since it didn't work, I dug around and had an idea! 

I loaded the .bin I extracted with FPT from my laptop, and compared the Intel ME ICC Profile settings against the ME ICC Profile settings found in the stock latest BIOS of an Asus Maximus V Hero board. After modifying a bunch of them, I built it into a file "tryit.bin" and flashed it (fpt.exe -f tryit.bin -me). Even though it was the full image instead of just the ME portion of the BIOS, I only flashed the ME portion.

Over the past few days, I've picked up a headache lot of info about this nonsense. But hey, I was able to overclock my laptop with XTU 4.2 on Windows 10, lol. Barely.
http://valid.x86.fr/470k3r
(ignore the benchmark. I turned the multiplier down and ran a bench to see if it'd boost and it sure as heck didn't. I have no idea how to use ThrottleStop.)

if this is remotely interesting to you all at this point, let me know and I'll put a little effort into documenting what I did. More of a step by step so some of you can brick modify your 2570p!

Disclaimer! I have no experience with this stuff. This was literally the first time I ever opened Flash Image Tool, I used it and closed it because I had built an image to flash....which flashed successfully. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, xust- said:

Recently picked up a 2570p at a local buy nothing group and decided to....test it

Immediately upgraded the CPU/SSD/RAM/amount of dust found within.
This (formerly) dusty turd came with BIOS F.41. I have not upgraded it!

I tried the 2570P-OC ME image earlier in the thread and it broke Intel ME, so I re-flashed the original ME (fpt.exe -f stockme.bin -me) portion I grabbed while in there (fpt.exe -d stockme.bin -me) using info found across a few places to fix it. Since it didn't work, I dug around and had an idea! 

I loaded the .bin I extracted with FPT from my laptop, and compared the Intel ME ICC Profile settings against the ME ICC Profile settings found in the stock latest BIOS of an Asus Maximus V Hero board. After modifying a bunch of them, I built it into a file "tryit.bin" and flashed it (fpt.exe -f tryit.bin -me). Even though it was the full image instead of just the ME portion of the BIOS, I only flashed the ME portion.

Over the past few days, I've picked up a headache lot of info about this nonsense. But hey, I was able to overclock my laptop with XTU 4.2 on Windows 10, lol. Barely.
http://valid.x86.fr/470k3r
(ignore the benchmark. I turned the multiplier down and ran a bench to see if it'd boost and it sure as heck didn't. I have no idea how to use ThrottleStop.)

if this is remotely interesting to you all at this point, let me know and I'll put a little effort into documenting what I did. More of a step by step so some of you can brick modify your 2570p!

Disclaimer! I have no experience with this stuff. This was literally the first time I ever opened Flash Image Tool, I used it and closed it because I had built an image to flash....which flashed successfully. 

... could you share the modded and the original bios and somehow describe the binary edit (hex edit?)

I was wondering if this is possible in an already updated 2570p to the latest bios, downgrade to 1.41 or modify the latest bios could be possible options (?).

Edited by istinnstudio

On 3/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, istinnstudio said:

... could you share the modded and the original bios and somehow describe the binary edit (hex edit?)

I was wondering if this is possible in an already updated 2570p to the latest bios, downgrade to 1.41 or modify the latest bios could be possible options (?).

+1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, chih said:

Successfully installed a Sierra MC7455 card in 2570p WWAN. Used the WWANDOS utility and there was no whitelist error.

Very good. The original 3G is a pain in the *ss, I couldn't even watch a Yt video. It is hard to imagine people where using  such slow 3G cards back in the day, lol. 3G+ is the bare minimum for modern internet.

Also, for people looking for a replacement of the 2570p, the latest Dell Latitude 5521 are very good (they where out maybe last year or in 2020). I used it and it reminded me of the 2570p (multiple ports, etc). But the most impressive is that the Latitude is 15" is slightly bigger but it really feels as light and portable as the 2570p for all what it can do. Also, the CPU is 2x even 3x faster. Unfortunatly as we all know, newer CPUs are not swappable in newer laptops.

Edited by juandante

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there.

Can anybody help me?

HP 2570p Intel core i5-3320m. Recent ram config: 2x4Gb Samsung

I bought 2x8GB AMD Radeon Memory R538G1601S2SL-U.

But my elitebook dont want startup with 2x8G, leds on capslock and numlock flashing and black screen

I have one more notebook dell latitude e7240 intel core i5-4300u (Recent ram 2x2Gb).

So this dont want sartup too, his leds are in the same maner.

Bios was updated to currently last version (even on both my laptops).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up one of these things mostly because I wanted a tiny laptop with solid specs. I read on another forum a list of 768p ips screens that the poster claimed worked on these laptops. I wanted to know if this was the case and if anyone has successfully done a screen swap to an IPS panel.

I know that the connector is limited to a max of 900p technically and 768p practically but I know that IPS should work fine. I'm just not sure if this is actually the case.