So I got my hands on a 3740QM. Temps are better than my 3612qm at higher clocks, but i still can't push an inch past 33x multi. Anyone have suggestions? TS reports max power usage around 37W. How'd you guys reach 3.8-4GHz?

post-6033-1449500048466_thumb.png

post-6033-14495000484931_thumb.png

Does this look weird to anyone else or just me? Disabling Chipset Clock Mod and Clock Modulation as well as Hyperthreading lowered my TDP and voltage a decent bit, and temps went down as much as 18C. But no matter what I do, the CPU isn't breaking 33X and I'm pretty sure by this point it has nothing to do with power consumption, voltage or TDP/heat.

I'm running Windows 8.1 and just switched between 3612QM, 3320M and now I'm with a 3740QM OEM. @Tech Inferno Fan did you happen to run into any such behavior when testing out your own 45W cpu?

EDIT: Also, single-core performance can push up to somewhere around 3.55-3.6GHz and no higher, even though it should reach 3.7.

EDIT2: Supposedly there's a new tech out there that allows for attacking and stealing encryption keys, including those using RSA technology. RSA such as the one HP uses to encrypt and protect the BIOS?

Suppose we got our hands on the RSA keys... could we unlock the BIOS?

So I got my hands on a 3740QM. Temps are better than my 3612qm at higher clocks, but i still can't push an inch past 33x multi. Anyone have suggestions? TS reports max power usage around 37W. How'd you guys reach 3.8-4GHz?

3.8-4Ghz reported is single-core. You can see the best cherry picked i7-3740QM was able to hit x35-4core .. and it wouldn't stay there very long. http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html . A good i7-3740QM would hit x34-4core. Your's is x33 which is OK. Getting lucky in the silicon lottery would get you one of the better x34/x35 chips.

If want more performance then suggest getting a modded ME firmware to allow BCLK overclocking. You'd gain another 4.5-5% that way, taking your x33-4core up to around x34.65-4core

Oh I'll add too, please ensure you've set your Intel iGPU power control to maximum battery. You spare a few W TDP headroom doing that.

But isn't it weird for the multi not to tick up with HT disabled and the corresponding massive decrease in TDP? I mean I have like 29W with HT disabled.

Strange for sure. Must be using some other internal algorithm to throttle the CPU then. May I suggest you move to a 14" Dell E6430 platform instead? It can unlock the i7-3740QM's extra 400Mhz REF:

Unlocking i7-37x0QM/38x0QM extra 4 multipliers on a Dell Latitude E6430

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html

A E6430 has 1600x900 LCD and NVida dGPU option, can do a x2 2.0 eGPU. I those units to be more of a powerhouse than a 2570P. There's only a small increase in weight and size.

I 'upgraded' from a 2570P to a Haswell Dell E6440. After seeing the E6440 wasn't x2 2.0 eGPU capable AND the Haswell CPUs run hot, I regretted not getting a E6430 instead. Only thing that slightly favors the E6440 is they now have a FHD eDP model upgrade and it has mSATA.

E6430 is worth sidegrading to. You can just pop in your i7-3740QM and start tweaking away :)

EDIT: I've bannered this info on the opening post of this thread:

Tech Inferno Fan July-2015>> Anybody interested in the 12.5" 2570P should also consider a 14" Dell E6430. The E6430 is the superior performance platform due to it's 900P LCD option, NVidia dGPU option, unlockable turbo bins (+400Mhz) on i7-37xxQM/i7-38xxQM CPUs and x2 2.0 eGPU capability. All with a minor size/weight penalty. See http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html#post118135 for details.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have kind of a dumb question for you guys. I just ordered a Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB HDD (only $100!) to replace my old 500GB drive. If my OS + most applications are installed on my SSD, is it okay to just copy and paste the files from my old HDD to the new one? Not directly since I don't have a USB/SATA adapter, but using an external HDD as a middleman. The HDD mostly contains data and a few applications. I read some stuff about cloning but I don't want to bother with it if it's not needed.

I have kind of a dumb question for you guys. I just ordered a Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB HDD (only $100!) to replace my old 500GB drive. If my OS + most applications are installed on my SSD, is it okay to just copy and paste the files from my old HDD to the new one? Not directly since I don't have a USB/SATA adapter, but using an external HDD as a middleman. The HDD mostly contains data and a few applications. I read some stuff about cloning but I don't want to bother with it if it's not needed.

Your plan sounds good to me. Though personally I'd get a usb/sata adapter. The cheap ones are, well, cheap. I wouldn't bother cloning the drive unless you have an OS on it. If in doubt, just keep the original 500GB around as a backup until you're sure the new drive works for you.

But isn't it weird for the multi not to tick up with HT disabled and the corresponding massive decrease in TDP? I mean I have like 29W with HT disabled.

Strange for sure. Must be using some other internal algorithm to throttle the CPU then. May I suggest you move to a 14" Dell E6430 platform instead? It can unlock the i7-3740QM's extra 400Mhz REF:

Unlocking i7-37x0QM/38x0QM extra 4 multipliers on a Dell Latitude E6430

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html

A E6430 has 1600x900 LCD and NVida dGPU option, can do a x2 2.0 eGPU. I those units to be more of a powerhouse than a 2570P. There's only a small increase in weight and size.

I 'upgraded' from a 2570P to a Haswell Dell E6440. After seeing the E6440 wasn't x2 2.0 eGPU capable AND the Haswell CPUs run hot, I regretted not getting a E6430 instead. Only thing that slightly favors the E6440 is they now have a FHD eDP model upgrade and it has mSATA.

E6430 is worth sidegrading to. You can just pop in your i7-3740QM and start tweaking away :)

EDIT: I've bannered this info on the opening post of this thread:

Tech Inferno Fan July-2015>> Anybody interested in the 12.5" 2570P should also consider a 14" Dell E6430. The E6430 is the superior performance platform due to it's 900P LCD option, NVidia dGPU option, unlockable turbo bins (+400Mhz) on i7-37xxQM/i7-38xxQM CPUs and x2 2.0 eGPU capability. All with a minor size/weight penalty. See http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html#post118135 for details.

That machine looks incredibly tempting. I'd go for it, but I'd need to find a buyer for my 2570p first and people don't seem very interested (have had it listed for weeks now on multiple sites and nothing). Still got warranty on it till 2017.

What do you think about that RSA sniffing hack? I don't personally have the resources or the tools, but in the hands of the right person, this can basically open up almost any interesting locked down machine (HP Elitebooks, Dell Precisions etc.)

Edit: If you happen to run into someone looking for a 2570p, mind giving me a heads up?

Since you're not trying to keep an OS from the old HDD to the new, there's absolutely no problem just copy/pasting. The M9T is a really sweet piece of hardware. I also got mine for 100$ right on launch :D

• 2 weeks later...
Notebook FanControl - an alternative to TPFancontrol for the 2570P

Found another fan control utility for our 2570P with a nicer configuration interface than TPFancontrol. The software is called Notebook FanControl and is available as a free download at: [Vorstellung] NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) - ComputerBase Forum. Can set 2.5% (2825 rpm)-100% (5120 rpm) manual fan control or temperature-based rules. Nice. Though because there isn't a 2570P configuration item I use a HP 8560P or ZBook 15 instead.

Hey M8, long time no seen! How's life? Looks like I've missed out on a lot of action here....

Sorry for the necro here but did you actually manage to run the fan at 5k rpm using this program? if yes, what settings did you use? I tried loading both 8560p and zbook 15 but both are not doing true 100%. It's showing 100% inside the program but the fan runs at about 3k rpm. Looking at the xml config files Im not seeing any settings with RPM, only percentage % of the fan speed on a scale 0 to 255. I guess it's reading the registers somehow but those readings are clearly incorrect. Am I missing something here?

Hey M8, long time no seen! How's life? Looks like I've missed out on a lot of action here....

Sorry for the necro here but did you actually manage to run the fan at 5k rpm using this program? if yes, what settings did you use? I tried loading both 8560p and zbook 15 but both are not doing true 100%. It's showing 100% inside the program but the fan runs at about 3k rpm. Looking at the xml config files Im not seeing any settings with RPM, only percentage % of the fan speed on a scale 0 to 255. I guess it's reading the registers somehow but those readings are clearly incorrect. Am I missing something here?

@Aikimox, welcome back. Has been a while. During which I've gone from 2570P -> Dell E6440 -> HP ZBook 17 G2 per sig.

So I no longer have a 2570P.

I was however under the impression the fan was running at 100% when I set it using Notebook FanControl during my benchmark runs.

To be sure, maybe another 2570P owner can chime in?

Looks like the mode I was using in tpfancontrol is not 100% lol. It's the "insanity" mode, or "damaging". The thing is, I switched over to linux and the temps are too high at times, so Im looking into ways of managing the fan. Appreciate any insights on the matter.

Edit : Just read this post again and it doesn't make any sense lol. Missing too many hours of sleep.... So, to clarify, NBFC has a linux version which uses the same profiles as under windows, so I was hoping to make it work. I was especially interested to get the same fan speed as with tpfancontrol - which is the "damaging" or hairdryer mode. But it looks like I can't get it to work at all under linux mint 17.2.

Just got a 3612qm installed. Some quick questions while we're talking fans and temps.

According to Core Temp, idle temps are hovering around 48-52C. That seems a bit high to me. Perhaps I applied the thermal compound too thinly? Core 0 will occasionally jump from 48 to 55 and then back down. Cores 1-3 don't do this. For now I'll assume it's normal.

On the other hand, running TS-1024M had max temps in the 80s (84C to be precise). It was running at 2793.66MHz virtually the entire time. That's full turbo. Room temp is probably 22-25C. Sounds pretty reasonable to me?

I bought some 20x20 shims, measured everything, was sure it'd work. I didn't take into account that the 4 core had a larger surface area than the 2 core. Doh! The 20mm shim would fit, just barely. Problem is, as soon as I put the heatsink on, it'd move the shim ever so slightly. I could pile on the thermal compound and that would help it stick, but I think that less is more when it comes to thermal compound.

I dunno, any time I take off a heatsink, I see globs of thermal compound all over it. I'm putting an extremely thin layer on the cpu and heatsink (apply, scrap off with card, then dab a bit all over cpu using tip of applicator). Maybe I really should put more on?

Any particular benchmarks or tests I should be running?

Edit: After letting it sit for several hours, it's now jumping between 43-48C. Core Temp claims the lowest was 38; I'm guessing it registered that for a nano-second. Still a bit higher than I'd prefer, but not too bad. I'll see if it settles in some more by tomorrow.

Edit 2: After being impatient and re-applying the thermal compound, it's back at 48-52C. I really should learn to leave well enough alone.

While I'm still in the testing mood, anything you guys want me to check out on this HP 2570p running Windows 10 Pro 64bit?

Looks like the mode I was using in tpfancontrol is not 100% lol. It's the "insanity" mode, or "damaging". The thing is, I switched over to linux and the temps are too high at times, so Im looking into ways of managing the fan. Appreciate any insights on the matter.

Edit : Just read this post again and it doesn't make any sense lol. Missing too many hours of sleep.... So, to clarify, NBFC has a linux version which uses the same profiles as under windows, so I was hoping to make it work. I was especially interested to get the same fan speed as with tpfancontrol - which is the "damaging" or hairdryer mode. But it looks like I can't get it to work at all under linux mint 17.2.

Try HPFanControl at the same page

TPFanControl by troubadix

Worked for me a while ago and would make the fan spin faster than the bios normally allows. You have to read the instructions and try the 8460p profile, or any profile until it works.

If anybody needs the Windows 7 SP1 System DVD and the Application and Driver Recovery DVD from HP, you can download each from here:

Windows 7 Pro SP1 for 2570P

Application and Driver Recovery DVD

The .iso images were created from the disks received from HP.

Is this a valid original iso? The checksum isn't matching any of the microsoft ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having trouble generating a working dsdt file in windows 10 pro 64? I've compared the file with one I came up with for windows 8.1 pro 64, I did the same things and get zero errors at the end but unlike with win 8.1 the gtx 750 ti doesn't detect any displays connected to it. I even updated the bios from the 2570p to the latest version available. After the update my old dsdt file still works in win 8.1, but any new file generated for win 10 still doesn't. I use bios in uefi mode.

Nice.

Can you do something like a before/after comparison? I would also be interested in how much the iGPU profits from the faster memory bandwidth.

I did compare 1600/1866MHz RAM a little here: http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-108.html#post137262

Also it would be interesting to know how faster RAM influences power consumption. I think the memory controller is specified for 1600MHz, so running it at 2133MHz means the memory controller runs overclocked.