By the way, has anyone found out if BIOS rollback is possible after F.50? That would really help.

Take a full bios dump of the eeprom using the Intel FPT utility, do your > F.50 flash. If can't do rollback using the HP flash utility then can use the FPT to load your old bios back on. The full procedure to do this is described at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-13.html#post65904 .

Take a full bios dump of the eeprom using the Intel FPT utility, do your > F.50 flash. If can't do rollback using the HP flash utility then can use the FPT to load your old bios back on. The full procedure to do this is described at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-13.html#post65904 .

I'm at F61-something and am wondering whether there's a point in trying to rollback, other than just to use your DSDT patch file.

Thing is, I'm using Windows 8.1 on MBR, was considering converting to UEFI, but am really having a whopper of a time figuring out the DSDT patching and the ASPM patching as well. I'm trying to edit the dsdt.aml file I dumped with acpidump, but I see none of the same types of strings and don't know what to delete.

Then I switched to DSDT Editor and there's 144 errors preventing me from compiling and saving the file. I'm trying to find a DSDT clean-up guide but am having some trouble.

I want to run a GTX-970 at some point in it, although the first card I'll be using with it is a r9-270x.

EDIT: Got an error-free dsdt.aml using acpidump and iasl. Trying to load it in now to see what happens. After which I want to enable ASPM somehow.

EDIT2: SUCCESS.

Huh. This was so easy. I just needed to move one entry from the DSDT to another place in the file and it compiled right off, i have the large memory entry in device manager now. So I should be good to use pretty much any eGPU right now?

I wonder, is PE4H better alternative for 8470p than PE4L?

8470p has 3 PCIe ports(EC, Wifi, Modem), all running at 2.0, so in theory x2.2 link should be possible (10gbps).

2570p has only one PCIe running 2.0, the rest is 1.0

I wonder, is PE4H better alternative for 8470p than PE4L?

8470p has 3 PCIe ports(EC, Wifi, Modem), all running at 2.0, so in theory x2.2 link should be possible (10gbps).

2570p has only one PCIe running 2.0, the rest is 1.0

All PCIe ports on the 8470P/2570P are Gen2 capable since are hosted off the Southbridge. More to the point is finding a combination that allows x2 2.0 to run. That means port1+2, port3+4, port5+6 or port7+8.

Imho, you're better off getting a Dell E6430 than one of these HP systems for your intended purposes. They have a proven x2 2.0 link working at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-2.html#post130202 . Furthermore, they allow a lot more CPU performance tweaking. Eg: a i7-quad may be able to run it's unlocked turbo bins: http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/8176-%5Bguide%5D-dell-e6530-cpu-tdp-multi-unlocking.html#post111576 . Overall, a better candidate system for higher i7-quad and eGPU performance.

Imho, you're better off getting a Dell E6430 than one of these HP systems for your intended purposes. They have a proven x2 2.0 link working at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-2.html#post130202 . Furthermore, they allow a lot more CPU performance tweaking. Eg: a i7-quad may be able to run it's unlocked turbo bins: http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/8176-%5Bguide%5D-dell-e6530-cpu-tdp-multi-unlocking.html#post111576 . Overall, a better candidate system for higher i7-quad and eGPU performance.

That's out of question now :D .

It took me whole 6 months (and a lot of sweat) to build those machines to my liking with over $2000 spent.

Dell also comes without Displayport (only HDMI) which is unacceptable for my setup.

eGPU, while good addition to those builds, is not to be considered primary reason for getting them.

New version of HWInfo now reports 2.0 as well.

#1 seems to be Wi-Fi

#2 ExpressCard

#35 JMicron SD reader

So x2.2 might be possible after all, however I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the extra $40 to find out.

Port 1 seems to be WWAN on 2570p (based on 2560p schematic). Paired with Expresscard on Port 2 might be possible, provided WWAN is not whitelisted, but it is. :(

2570p has unbridged SATA rather than pcie pins in the WWAN slot to give it a msata electrical link. Unfortunately bios msata support was never added. Likely the 8470p followed that same design.

Actually mSATA might be possible on 8470p, as the sata pins are connected. I believe I read somewhere that mSATA can be used as cache drive for RAID-0 setup on 8470p. However it's not bootable and no SSD get recognized under OS.

Nice work there. I'll add that there an even simpler way of accomplishing this. That's by creating a patched MBR that does these memory writes. You can get an idea of what's involved by reviewing this post: http://forum.techinferno.com/desktop-storage/2108-diy-adding-ssd-hdd-storage-using-optical-bay-caddy-%5Bver-2-0%5D.html#post38289

Hello Tech Inferno Fan

Can you plese maka some sort of tutorial for patching the MBR, so we can enable ASPM ?

Thanks

Hello Tech Inferno Fan

Can you plese maka some sort of tutorial for patching the MBR, so we can enable ASPM ?

Thanks

Sry, don't have a 2570P anymore.

Anybody else want to have a go at a ASPM MBR patch to help kpyhere and other 2570P owners maximize their battery life?

Could someone who has successfully hooked up gtx 670 through the express slot using a 2.1 adapter shed some light unto what I may be doing wrong? All I have to do is plug it into the adapter, hook up my 12v rail from the ATX into the adapter, plug it into the EC slot right? If I run it like that w/o setup, I get code 43, if I use any combinations of setup 1.3 it hangs.

I thought 670 was the way to go, and after finally acquiring one today.. I've dumped hours upon hours into trying to get it going and nothing >< Using 350W ATX P/S; had it going at first but screen was unstable, figured it was a driver issue, did a fresh reinstall of everything (video drivers, setup 1.3 etc.) and now the best I can do is get to windows loading screen > black. I thought it's supposed to be easier than 750 TI with a clean dsdt but nothing I do seems to work - really bumming me out =/

Could someone who has successfully hooked up gtx 670 through the express slot using a 2.1 adapter shed some light unto what I may be doing wrong? All I have to do is plug it into the adapter, hook up my 12v rail from the ATX into the adapter, plug it into the EC slot right? If I run it like that w/o setup, I get code 43, if I use any combinations of setup 1.3 it hangs.

I thought 670 was the way to go, and after finally acquiring one today.. I've dumped hours upon hours into trying to get it going and nothing >< Using 350W ATX P/S; had it going at first but screen was unstable, figured it was a driver issue, did a fresh reinstall of everything (video drivers, setup 1.3 etc.) and now the best I can do is get to windows loading screen > black. I thought it's supposed to be easier than 750 TI with a clean dsdt but nothing I do seems to work - really bumming me out =/

Well, what adapter are you using?

Well, what adapter are you using?

Hiya,

I was/am using bplus 2.1a PE4L. I have it working with 750TI (after a lot of work) but just couldn't get it going. I couldn't even hot plug start it, so the more I think about it, the more I think it was the power supply (350 watts but for all I know, it could be running at 50% of it since it's a crappy one). If it's not that - I ordered a new one that should arrive today or tomorrow but if it's not that, I guess I'll have to order another adapter and make sure it's 2.1b this time as I hear 2.1a can give issues. I'm also not sure if I'm connecting it properly - am I supposed to connect from the adapter to the 2 3-pin connectors on the top or is it already getting sufficient power through the 12v?

What amperage does the PSU theoretically provide on the 12V rail?

Have you tried setting the ExpressCard slot to Gen1 speed in BIOS to confirm it's not due to signal issues? Unfortunately, I'm not sure how the ATX PSU should work precisely - I think you should use the 12V from the PSU directly into GPU, and use one molex-to-floppy cable to power the adapter.

Hey, the amp was around 16a (too lazy to get up to check) - I bought another 400w PSU with 22 amps and higher reviews and no change.

I'm pretty sure the card was either a dud or I shorted something by connecting the cables. Like, I couldn't even start it (edit: this is after I had it initially 'running' with monitor flickering and all - again not sure how exactly I did it but it did 'work' so yeah maybe a dud - maybe usps threw it around too much cause the seller didn't write fragile on it) by hot plugging during startup, tried with switches at 2 and 3 and only then the fan would spin but eventually nothing. When you say 12v from PSU into GPU you mean into the adapter right, because the GPU itself only has 2 6-pin molex inputs. Either way I had tried all kinds of combinations and eventually it just gave out.

I'm going to buy another 670, brand name this time, and if still nothing - maybe it's the adapter itself in which case I'll just have to suck it up and buy another adapter.

I didn't realize there was a 2.1a and 2.1b versions until much later - the one I bought off amazon simply said 2.1. But yeah.. the a is like outdated or whatever and gives a lot of people problems so =/

p.s. yes tried gen1 and all that.

Once i get another 670 (trying to find a ftw evga or msi pe oc one) I'll post the update here.

I'm sorry if this topic already came up, but does anyone know if the IPS-Panel from the Elitebook 820 fits into the 2560p/2570p? It's an LG LGD0404, here is a test of it. It is vastly superior in every category and I would cry tears of joy if I could get it into my 2560p.

Hey, the amp was around 16a (too lazy to get up to check) - I bought another 400w PSU with 22 amps and higher reviews and no change.

I'm pretty sure the card was either a dud or I shorted something by connecting the cables. Like, I couldn't even start it (edit: this is after I had it initially 'running' with monitor flickering and all - again not sure how exactly I did it but it did 'work' so yeah maybe a dud - maybe usps threw it around too much cause the seller didn't write fragile on it) by hot plugging during startup, tried with switches at 2 and 3 and only then the fan would spin but eventually nothing. When you say 12v from PSU into GPU you mean into the adapter right, because the GPU itself only has 2 6-pin molex inputs. Either way I had tried all kinds of combinations and eventually it just gave out.

I'm going to buy another 670, brand name this time, and if still nothing - maybe it's the adapter itself in which case I'll just have to suck it up and buy another adapter.

I didn't realize there was a 2.1a and 2.1b versions until much later - the one I bought off amazon simply said 2.1. But yeah.. the a is like outdated or whatever and gives a lot of people problems so =/

p.s. yes tried gen1 and all that.

Once i get another 670 (trying to find a ftw evga or msi pe oc one) I'll post the update here.

Ok, so as far as i can tell, you power the adapter through a molex 4pin-to-floppy connector on the adapter (correct me if it's not there), which also supplies the card up to around 75W through the PCIe slot. And you give extra power to the card, using standard ATX PSU GPU power connectors, or molex-to-6-pin, into the card, directly.

I hope for your sake @Tech Inferno Fan chimes in, because I'm only guessing based on what I've read so far, I didn't actually get any adapter yet.

Why do my posts need to be approved here? Come on... at least don't be lazy mods...

//Oh, now it works. Well.

Does anyone know how the cooling from the 2560p and 2570p compare? They look a little different. I would guess the one from the 2570p performs slightly better?

Got a 2570p now and made a comparison between RAM running with 1600MHz and 1866MHz (both times 2x4GB and running with CL11). Processor I used is an i5-3320.

Sandra Memory Bandwidth:

1600Mhz: 19.16 GB/s

1866MHz: 20.13 GB/s (+5%)

3DMark06:

1600Mhz: 5970

1866MHz: 6161 (+3.2%)

Not really amazing, but since both kits (8GB) cost the same here (both around 50€) I would pick the 1866MHz kit.

• Thumbs Up 2

@OeffOeff your 1866mhz ram is probably running at tighter timings than you think. Usually when faster RAM is running at a slower speed the timings are tighter. I have this kit:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Laptop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GRSL - Newegg.com

and when I look with HwInfo my timings are 9-9-9-28. No idea if that would result in a 3% increase, but I'm sure it helps.

For your wifi card, you could give it a shot with using the WWAN leads for your 6300. I don't think the antennas have a good spread for MIMO, as WWAN antennas are usually right next to the WIFI ones, and I've seen laptops that will delete the camera if you use one of these 3x3 cards to allow for the third antenna to be in the middle of the display. If you don't have the card yet, it may be worth looking at getting either the Broadcom or Intel AC wifi WLAN cards so you can get an AC router when you're ready to upgrade.

On another note, I'm probably going to attempt the IPS screen swap that has failed before. If I can't move the driver board that's on the bottom of the LCD, then I'm going to use a board like this one Amazon.com : sunkee M.NT68676.2A (HDMI+DVI+VGA+Audio) LCD/LED Screen Controller Board Diy Monitor Kit (Please remember to leave us your LCD Model Number before placing the order) : Car Electronics to make a DIY monitor.

Got a 2570p now and made a comparison between RAM running with 1600MHz and 1866MHz (both times 2x4GB and running with CL11). Processor I used is an i5-3320.

Sandra Memory Bandwidth:

1600Mhz: 19.16 GB/s

1866MHz: 20.13 GB/s (+5%)

3DMark06:

1600Mhz: 5970

1866MHz: 6161 (+3.2%)

Not really amazing, but since both kits (8GB) cost the same here (both around 50€) I would pick the 1866MHz kit.

Worth noting too, @timohour has done some comprehensive RAM benchmark tests (1333 vs 1600 vs 1866 vs 2133Mhz) at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-4.html#post131341 . That was on a Ivy Bridge 14" Dell E6430 with XMP RAM profiles enabled. Not sure if the 2570P can use 2133Mhz RAM.

• Thumbs Up 2