Hello all

I came across this thread

I am interested in buying the HP 2560p or 2570p.

I have a question that i have a core i7 2670qm idle lying around. Can i install that processor in HP 2570p? I am asking this because hp 2570p runs third gen processor and mine is a 2nd gen. Have anyone tried it?

I am more interested in the 2570p as it has usb 3.0 and sata 6gbps tau they are a plus over hp 2560p

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks

Hello all

I came across this thread

I am interested in buying the HP 2560p or 2570p.

I have a question that i have a core i7 2670qm idle lying around. Can i install that processor in HP 2570p? I am asking this because hp 2570p runs third gen processor and mine is a 2nd gen. Have anyone tried it?

I am more interested in the 2570p as it has usb 3.0 and sata 6gbps tau they are a plus over hp 2560p

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks

Yes, you can install a 2nd gen i-core processor in a 2570P. Though you'd be better off putting the most basic 3rd gen quad-core into a 2570P since the 32nm->22nm die shrink means they consume 10-14W less power at full 4-core load and so do not experience the ~x27 TDP throttling. Eg: http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html

If you're wanting to keep costs low and purchase a 2560P then consider you could install a USB 3.0 expresscard into it f not using it for say an eGPU. It will be non-bootable. Both a 2560P and 2570P have a SATA-III primary + optical bay, though a 2570P supports RAID-0/1 across them which a 2560P does not. Oh.. and a 2570P has had the wifi whitelist removed something the 2560P does not.

I've just joined the 2570p party and bought one off ebay (although it's taking its sweet time to arrive).

I'm interested in acquiring a 3-cell battery that doesn't protude from the back of the laptop (I do most stuff plugged in but like having it as small/light as possible when moving it from place to place). Also possibly a new 9-cell for when I do want extended battery life. I've had a google and found the usual cheap 6 cell ebay/amazon options, and i've seen the HP new options which cost about what I paid for the laptop.

So, my question is: where do you good folks buy decent 3 or 9 cell batteries for the 2570p?

I bought one of these a few months ago:

Amazon.com: Bay Valley Parts 9-Cell 11.1V 7800mAh New Replacement Laptop Battery for HP:Elitebook 2560p,Elitebook 2570p: Computers & Accessories

It ended up being something closer to 7400mah once I plugged it in. It works great, and no bios issues. No telling how long the cells will last, but my 5500mah "long life" battery has about 4200mah left according to the program BatteryCare, probably because I had issues with the computer going to sleep and it would wake up in my laptop bag. Some of the online guides on how to refurb a laptop battery don't seem like they're that difficult, but I might just send a battery off to get refurbished.

The problem with purchasing "new" OEM batteries is that they're probably at least 3 years old by now, which has eaten into their capacity/useful life. If I can get some place to refurb the batteries for 20-30 USD/GBP on top of the cost of the cells, it's worth it vs gambling on the age of a "new" battery.

In large part due to this community (kudos!), I just recently purchased an 8570p and stuck an i7-3940XM in it just for kicks! :) I did a quick check with my current eGPU setup and it works PnP! I'll be redoing the 3DMark benchmarks soon, but in the meantime I wanted to post my initial Throttlestop numbers for your comments (and my newbie questions):

Table 1. VID and TDP vs. Multiplier

post-19997-14494998956983_thumb.png

I tried running this initially with a 65W power supply, but it only let me get to 45 TDP. Switching to a 90W power supply fixed that problem.

Questions:

1. My x12 VID and TDP seem to be significantly higher than the others on the tracking board. Is this because the 8570P generally uses more power vs. the 2570P?

2. Why does my VID jump to 1.2 (and the clock jumps to 3.7GHz) when I try any multiplier between 30 and 36?

3. Why does my clock not change from 3.7GHz when I try a multiplier of 38 and 39? Is there a different software that I need to use? Or do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

4. Does RAM affect any of these tests?

In large part due to this community (kudos!), I just recently purchased an 8570p and stuck an i7-3940XM in it just for kicks! :) I did a quick check with my current eGPU setup and it works PnP! I'll be redoing the 3DMark benchmarks soon, but in the meantime I wanted to post my initial Throttlestop numbers for your comments (and my newbie questions):

Table 1. VID and TDP vs. Multiplier

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13365[/ATTACH]

I tried running this initially with a 65W power supply, but it only let me get to 45 TDP. Switching to a 90W power supply fixed that problem.

Questions:

1. My x12 VID and TDP seem to be significantly higher than the others on the tracking board. Is this because the 8570P generally uses more power vs. the 2570P?

2. Why does my VID jump to 1.2 (and the clock jumps to 3.7GHz) when I try any multiplier between 30 and 36?

3. Why does my clock not change from 3.7GHz when I try a multiplier of 38 and 39? Is there a different software that I need to use? Or do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

4. Does RAM affect any of these tests?

The i7-3940XM is a 55W TDP CPU. We can see from your Table 1 that you are being TDP-throttled at x37 down to 53W. Other higher multipliers will work since they exceed your 55W.

To allow higher TDP would require a bios modification, which HP's RSA-protected bios will detect and fail to boot, or investigate possible UEFI variables that might be tweakable like done at

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/8176-%5Bguide%5D-dell-e6530-cpu-tdp-multi-unlocking.html. Unfortunately nobody has been able to get anywhere attempting either with a IVB Elitebook.

The good news is there is a documented way to get an extra 4-5% perforamance on a IVB Elitebook. Done by flashing a modified ME firmware that unlocks BCLK overclocking using Intel XTU software. That would see your highest x37 multiplier increase to x38.85 within pretty much the same 53W TDP. See http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-12.html#post65904 to see how it's done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello again everyone

I recently decided to give eGpu a try. It's a nVidia gtx460 768 MB with an Exp Gdc 6.0 adapter. I've set everything up last night but unfortunately encountered a few problems. It doesn't work with the ExpressCard port set to Generation 2 and doesn't work when the laptop is connected to a docking station. Setting it up was pretty much plug and play, first the card was recognised by Windows as a standard VGA card. After installing the drivers it showed up as it is. I turned off the nVidia audio. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello again everyone

I recently decided to give eGpu a try. It's a nVidia gtx460 768 MB with an Exp Gdc 6.0 adapter. I've set everything up last night but unfortunately encountered a few problems. It doesn't work with the ExpressCard port set to Generation 2 and doesn't work when the laptop is connected to a docking station. Setting it up was pretty much plug and play, first the card was recognised by Windows as a standard VGA card. After installing the drivers it showed up as it is. I turned off the nVidia audio. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've got a EXP GDC V6, PE4L 2.1 and PE4C 2.1. What I've found is the EXP GDC V6 glitches with a "NVidia Driver has stopped responding" error that's only resolved when I switch from Gen2 -> Gen1. The PE4L 2.1 and PE4C 2.1 do not have this problem, capable of running glitch-free at Gen2 speed. Pretty much your option is to keep the EXP GDC V6 @ Gen1 or update to one of these other eGPU adapters. I've recently warned others of this EXP GDC V6 issue at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/6643-exp-gdc-beast-ares-v7-v6-discussion.html .

<strike>Would you mind submitting your i7-3820QM's TDP versus VID data when using Throttlestop like at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 ?</strike>

• Thumbs Up 1

i7-3840QM is x36 capable during the Throttlemark TS-bench 4-core/8-thread test, but only if the TDP is extended. As the 2570P locks the TDP to 45W it means the full CPU capability is never realized. We can see this when evaluating the results at http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 . It means then that the best value for money CPUs to get are i7-3630QM, i7-3720QM, i7-3740QM/i7-3820QM. No point in paying a premium for a i7-3840QM if it's going to perform at i7-3740QM/i7-3820QM levels or worse still.
@Tech Inferno Fan

This for me is an eye opener, a shocker even! I was planning to purchase an amazing 2570p and pop in that i7 3840qm right in! Heck I want to even risk it and see if it would run in my Lenovo G500 which features a removable cpu slot, any Idea if this would be possible in my setup Tech Inferno Fan or it needs to be supported by the BIOS?

(i7-3840QM vs my mobo which can only handle 35W CPUs) Otherwise, highest spec compatible with my laptop is only an i7 3632QM...sorry for being off topic

I wouldn't say the 3840QM is a bad choice. Mine is able to maintain stock speeds minus ~100-200mhz and up to 4Ghz on a single core with OC. But that's when running on IGP and I bet it would go full gas on eGPU (will test). But the part that I like the most is that it runs ICE COLD! when locked down to 3632QM frequencies. I had both CPUs and the 3840QM wins hands down in every respect. As for 3820QM/37x0QM I saw those dropping 100-200mhz too when fully loaded on IGP, so dunno if they are more efficient.

I wouldn't say the 3840QM is a bad choice. Mine is able to maintain stock speeds minus ~100-200mhz and up to 4Ghz on a single core with OC. But that's when running on IGP and I bet it would go full gas on eGPU (will test). But the part that I like the most is that it runs ICE COLD! when locked down to 3632QM frequencies. I had both CPUs and the 3840QM wins hands down in every respect. As for 3820QM/37x0QM I saw those dropping 100-200mhz too when fully loaded on IGP, so dunno if they are more efficient.

Long time no hear! Welcome back. I've had some personal PM with jacobsson about the i7-3840QM and how efficient it is. Unfortunately we have no tabular data for a OEM version of it at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 . Would you mind submitting the TDP vs multiplier data for your CPU so we have it on file? If OK to do that, please run with the iGPU control panel set to 'maximum battery life' to dedicate maximum package TDP for CPU use.

Long time no hear! Welcome back. I've had some personal PM with jacobsson about the i7-3840QM and how efficient it is. Unfortunately we have no tabular data for a OEM version of it at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 . Would you mind submitting the TDP vs multiplier data for your CPU so we have it on file? If OK to do that, please run with the iGPU control panel set to 'maximum battery life' to dedicate maximum package TDP for CPU use.

Yeah, it's been a while.Too busy with work and other stuff. How are things around here? Any new exciting developments? Has anyone managed to run 1866mhz+ 16gb RAM yet? Last time I checked it was still capped at 1600...

Will submit the data when I have a moment. I'm finally going for eGPU this Xmas!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

does anyone tried Liquid Ultra on 2570p heatsink? I read a lot about it and seems like just the thing I need, but there are lots of side effects. I've seen photos of copper heatsinks being stained with this compound and the only solution to get it off is sand paper. 38.4mK/W is excellent value, something my i7-3820QM would really benefit, since I'm running x30 (29.7W) at 85°C with lid opened - too hot. Heat transfer there is terrible, even with copper shim. Heatsink is 20°C cooler than the CPU (using Shin Etsu x23-7783D)

Also I'm a bit worried about aging, LC has been known to "dry out" within a year. But when there's grey stain on otherwise orange heatsink, HP technician might consider my warranty void.

If I'm not mistaken, Khenglish applied LC on 2570p before. If you're there, how does that worked out?

Hi there,

does anyone tried Liquid Ultra on 2570p heatsink? I read a lot about it and seems like just the thing I need, but there are lots of side effects. I've seen photos of copper heatsinks being stained with this compound and the only solution to get it off is sand paper. 38.4mK/W is excellent value, something my i7-3820QM would really benefit, since I'm running x30 (29.7W) at 85°C with lid opened - too hot. Heat transfer there is terrible, even with copper shim. Heatsink is 20°C cooler than the CPU (using Shin Etsu x23-7783D)

Also I'm a bit worried about aging, LC has been known to "dry out" within a year. But when there's grey stain on otherwise orange heatsink, HP technician might consider my warranty void.

If I'm not mistaken, Khenglish applied LC on 2570p before. If you're there, how does that worked out?

Check the manual of Liquid Ultra. In there it shows that it corrodes aluminum. IIRC our heatsink is made from aluminum...

No, there's no aluminium on 2570p heatsink. Only copper and nickel-plated copper. And yes, I've read numerous reviews and manuals on both Ultra and Pro. Conclusion - definitely not worth the risk.

Finally, went for GC Extreme, 8°C drop during load compared to Shin Etsu 7783D with copper shim between CPU and HS (which is now removed).

So it's 78°C for x30 and 71°C for x27, with stock fan settings.

Hello everyone,

I've just bought a 2570p and I am having trouble getting it to work witih my PE4C v2.1. I have followed the video but every time I plug the EC2C cable the wifi turns off, the laptop freezes and reboots after a minute or two. If I turn on the laptop with the EC2C plugged in, the screen stays blank and all the front LEDs are lit. The fan also spins up momentarily and then quiets down.

I am running BIOS F.50 and I have Express Card set to Generation 2.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hello everyone,

I've just bought a 2570p and I am having trouble getting it to work witih my PE4C v2.1. I have followed the video but every time I plug the EC2C cable the wifi turns off, the laptop freezes and reboots after a minute or two. If I turn on the laptop with the EC2C plugged in, the screen stays blank and all the front LEDs are lit. The fan also spins up momentarily and then quiets down.

Hi Harris,

Are you using Windows 8.1 (uefi install) or Windows 7? I think both should be plug and play with you system (you may need a dsdt override if you have a GTX750ti or similar card). Also, have you tried another express card in your 2570p slot to make sure its working properly? And what power suply and gpu are you using? I hope this helps you.

Hi Harris,

Are you using Windows 8.1 (uefi install) or Windows 7? I think both should be plug and play with you system. Also, have you tried another express card in your 2570p slot to make sure its working properly? I hope this helps you.

Hi Tempest, thanks for the reply. I am running Windows 7 SP1 x64 without UEFI. I don't have another expresscard device to try unfortunately.

Hi Tempest, thanks for the reply. I am running Windows 7 SP1 x64 without UEFI. I don't have another expresscard device to try unfortunately.

You are welcome :)

I remember reading somewhere in this forum about your bios version. Maybe you can try to find this. I'm on my phone so its not easy to search. If I remember correctly you cannot downgrade from your version. I'm currently using version 45 without any problems. I think your problem is either bios or hardware related. Maybe someone else that knows more about this can help.

Edit: one thing you can try is plug in the PE4C without the GPU and just test its USB port.

You are welcome :)

I remember reading somewhere in this forum about your bios version. Maybe you can try to find this. I'm on my phone so its not easy to search. If I remember correctly you cannot downgrade from your version. I'm currently using version 45 without any problems. I think your problem is either bios or hardware related. Maybe someone else that knows more about this can help.

Edit: one thing you can try is plug in the PE4C without the GPU and just test its USB port.

My PE4C is the v2.1 so there is no USB port I could test. I wish I had known about this BIOS issue sooner, my laptop came with the F.00 version originally and I foolishly updated to F.50 thinking it would work with the eGPU adapter. Is there absolutely no way of downgrading the BIOS?

So did you find information about F.50 not being compatible with an eGPU setup? When I read about it people were just wondering if it was or not. So it wasn't clear. Maybe you just got a faulty PE4C. There is a thread in the forum about the newer versions of the PE4C 2.0 and 2.1.

Hello everyone,

A few things that may help you:

You can't downgrade from version F.50 unfortunately. There shouldn't be an issue with eGPU though, I doubt HP would have expended the effort to block that out if they haven't fixed the ASPM issues.

I don't remember if people were consistently getting PCIe 2.0 speeds with the PE4C. It has a removable connector that was causing stability issues when trying to run at 2.0 speeds.

If you post what card you're using we may be able to help. There are a few cards out there that need a DSDT override, but with my 650Ti Boost I didn't need it.

The BIOS on these 2570p (and other HP laptops I presume) won't boot with the eGPU plugged in during boot. You'll need to do the F8 during boot, plug in, power on gpu, then continue booting Windows technique. Try the suspend, plug in/power on, then resume technique as well. Otherwise, grab a PE4L 2.1b and set your delay to 7 seconds. Worked great for me and no fiddling with the discussed techniques.

Check your power connections to fix the wifi disappearing issue. I had to rewire my connections and chase a floating ground issue (IIRC) to fix that one. Crappy power supplies will give you weird and unrepeatable issues as well, so maybe it's time to get out the voltmeter.

If the above doesn't work, SEARCH FIRST then ask on the eGPU forum if you don't find a response after a reasonable amount of time. Good luck!

A few things that may help you:

You can't downgrade from version F.50 unfortunately. There shouldn't be an issue with eGPU though, I doubt HP would have expended the effort to block that out if they haven't fixed the ASPM issues.

I don't remember if people were consistently getting PCIe 2.0 speeds with the PE4C. It has a removable connector that was causing stability issues when trying to run at 2.0 speeds.

If you post what card you're using we may be able to help. There are a few cards out there that need a DSDT override, but with my 650Ti Boost I didn't need it.

The BIOS on these 2570p (and other HP laptops I presume) won't boot with the eGPU plugged in during boot. You'll need to do the F8 during boot, plug in, power on gpu, then continue booting Windows technique. Try the suspend, plug in/power on, then resume technique as well. Otherwise, grab a PE4L 2.1b and set your delay to 7 seconds. Worked great for me and no fiddling with the discussed techniques.

Check your power connections to fix the wifi disappearing issue. I had to rewire my connections and chase a floating ground issue (IIRC) to fix that one. Crappy power supplies will give you weird and unrepeatable issues as well, so maybe it's time to get out the voltmeter.

If the above doesn't work, SEARCH FIRST then ask on the eGPU forum if you don't find a response after a reasonable amount of time. Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I am using the PE4C 2.1 with a GTX 670 DirectCU II. I have tried the F8-plug in-power on and boot, Windows will freeze about half a minute after the desktop is shown and only a hard reset brings me out of this situation. I also tried the 9sec delay on the PE4C 2.1, again no luck. I also booted fully into Windows 7 without the eGPU attached, put the laptop into sleep, powered up the eGPU and inserted, resume and it doesn't come back on.

Any other suggestions are very welcome. I am very confused as to why my PE4C 2.1 works perfectly with my X220 but not with the 2570p. At least I am certain that my adapter, GPU and PSU are not faulty.

I'm experiencing higher power consumption under Windows 7 than under Windows XP.

Quite strangely, under WinXP average idle is 4.7W-4.8W even with 2nd HDD in ODD bay, but in Win7 it's hovering between 7.4W-9.2W.

ASPM enabled on all devices, msr 0x1B0 set to 0xF, no useless background services, min brightness, no wifi, etc. - same HW conditions on both OSes (no FDD/USB devices connected, no ethernet), disabled C1/C3 undemotion (both OSes), graphics set to max power savings

In Throttlestop the CPU package goes down from 3.7W to 3.2W on WinXP in about 2 minutes while on Win7 it stays on 3.7W forever.

I'm suspecting some issue with core parking but power management is untouched.

Anybody help?

WinXP:

post-8842-14494999177188_thumb.png

Win7:

post-8842-14494999177451_thumb.png