Far Cry 3

unreal25

I bought this game through the somewhat less know shithole of an online store called UbiStore and I'm wondering if there's a way to start this game through Steam?

Also, anyone else playing this?

It seems its kind of an open-world game, but I played a little and got quite a bit annoying since every time I tried to explore outside of the "quest area" the quest would end interrupting to whatever you were doing and just ports you back to the place where you start the quest. The story seems cool, but the gameplay seems really disappointing (compared to Fallout games) in the first ~20 minutes I played this. (I have no clue how to see how long I played it in this shitty uplay.)

• Founder

Hmm I think you could have used the key to activate it on steam but since its already active there probably isn't a way to migrate it over. Steam lets you add non steam games to steam so you can use the overlay.

Sent from my GT-N7000

It seems its kind of an open-world game, but I played a little and got quite a bit annoying since every time I tried to explore outside of the "quest area" the quest would end interrupting to whatever you were doing and just ports you back to the place where you start the quest. The story seems cool, but the gameplay seems really disappointing (compared to Fallout games) in the first ~20 minutes I played this. (I have no clue how to see how long I played it in this shitty uplay.)

Yeah, that is a bit annoying but as long as you're not on a quest it doesn't really matter and you can do what you want.

I was quite impressed by the games graphics and storytelling, and the effort they put into the PC version is amazing, its not just some half-assed console port.

I can run it on Medium on my GT555m no problem and a friend of mine can even run it on low on his HD4000.

I tried activating on Steam, didn't work. :(

The graphics is pretty good, I am running it maxxed out on my desktop and the open world part does seem cool when you're not being interrupted with quests. :) I'm still figuring things out in the game. And I agree its definitely not a some half-assed port.

The way I play these open world games is basically I go for a quest, but on the way there I encounter some mobs (or in GTA, I take time to park the car, take a baseball bat and beat the shit of any cop I see) then I spend next 30 mins killing random stuff forgetting where I was supposed to be going. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the game overall, so I'd recommend it. I haven't had this much fun in an fps since Fallout, even though this is much less RPGey than Fallout and more FPSey (but not crap FPSey like Crysis). I haven't tried the coop mode yet, played only single player story. Keep in mind if you decide to buy it later when the sale is off, you can still get it for a similar price on eBay since the game codes for Far Cry 3 shipped (or still do) as a bonus with some graphic cards and SSDs so plenty of people will have these codes for sale.

Pros:

• big open world, no loading screen whatsoever during the game. feels really big.
  • great graphics
  • nice choice of weapons and mods (silencer, scopes, ...)
  • nice choice of vehicles which I think all are available to use immediately
  • love the poker minigame
  • good AI for wildlife, decent AI for enemies
  • game relies much more on crafting consumables than Fallout
  • nice selection of skills you gain by leveling up
  • the story seems cool for me (even though this is highly subjective)

Cons:

• runs through uPlay. it sucks. (but still better than starting the game through internet browser... jeez.)
  • console-style menu and interface
  • map takes too long to "load"
  • graphic glitches (tho they pretty much always show up if you tend to use uPlay overlay or alt-tab often)
  • some of the side-quests are somewhat repeatable
  • failing a quest or leaving the quest area will automatically interrupt you and reload the game or put you next to your last checkpoint (a big turnoff for me)
  • I don't like the fact that taking out enemies silently awards you better than going all in (but its nothing serious)
  • aside from taking over outposts it doesn't feel like you can change the world permanently (say compared to Fallout where you can blow up the nuke, kill whoever you want, etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought the story was OK (at least for the first ~66% of the game) for an FPS. Still light years away from Bioware games and Fallout of course, but I thought it was good enough for a single player FPS campaign.

• 1 month later...

Have anyone played the game to the end? What do you think?

Spoiler:

I'm confused. In the first end citra tells to jason, i love you and so on and in the second end she kills jason.

I don't like the second end ;).

And what is the best weapon in your opinion?

i played just Far Cry 1 it was really good game from Crytek, but whet they goes to EA and Ubisoft keeps name of title. Game quality decreased for my opinion. I installed FC 2 but after boring 40m i uninstalled it. Because that i dont want play FC 3.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO the game is good but it is also in need of some major patch , improving game world and also some support on mobile GPS, while I enjoy it at max details with gtx 680m , if I turn on osd to see FPS flying around I really want to cry on my money spend for gtx 680m (single card) and that's cause never goes above 45 FPS and also I have kinda GPS throttling.

but in general if you enjoy it well buy it !!

Aisan.

As FPS are mentioned and it hasn't been posted already:

You can disable Post FX completely by editing the Gamerprofile.xml in "Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3".

Just set PostFxQuality to "false" (You have to set custom settings ingame first) and make the file read only.

This will not only improve FPS, but also overall Graphics imho :)

It will also get rid of this stupid motion blur!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...