• Founder

Alienware M18x Laptop Review - Introduction

Not the best review IMO. They didn't really discuss the cooling, benchmarks were done with a single GPU, the gaming benchmarks were limited and the sample configuration Dell sent them was completely stupid.

*EDIT*

Read Tech|Inferno's official M18x review here: http://www.techinferno.com/2011/07/07/alienware-m18x-review-the-fastest-18-notebook-in-the-universe/

Edited by Michael

The only things I like is that it can use the on-chip Intel GPU (kinda makes me wonder why Dell couldn't have used a modded HM55 in the M17x-R2) and the fact that it uses the same connector for the Power Adapter.

• Founder

The screen of the M18x, due to the fact that it is 18.4" and it has lower resolution it will have 119.72 PPI (more is better) and 0.2122mm dot pitch(lower is better)

The screen of the M17x R2, has 133.19 PPI (more is better), 0.1907mm dot pitch(lower is better)

plus it is WLED vs RGB LED so.....

• Thumbs Up 3

"...is a very impressive looking machine thanks, in part, to the single surface area screen which is a high gloss layer which runs out to each of the four edges on the top half of the system. It is even more impressive on this larger model that the others."

If that's whats considered 'impressive' today, God save us all...

The review has pretty pictures, but is way too long - I wish it focused on important bits. I don't need a full detailed description of the computer when I can just take a look at those pictures.

"...and has an epic feel to the screen."

I guess it's not that bad then. :)

Edited by unreal25

Look at this pic http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/alienware-m18x/alienware-m18x_inside.jpg

See the foam ducting on the GPU fans now? I would like to think I had something to do with that ;)

Anyway, thank god they decided to do a better job on the cooling this time around. Shame they didnt do the same to the CPU fan though...

Guess I have to come up with another cooling mod! :D

-Ash

EDIT: And here http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/alienware-m18x/alienware-m18x_inside2.jpg

Looks like replacing GPU's is going to be a royal PITA. Looks like fun!

-Ash

Edited by Ashtefere

• Founder
Look at this pic http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/alienware-m18x/alienware-m18x_inside.jpg

See the foam ducting on the GPU fans now? I would like to think I had something to do with that ;)

Anyway, thank god they decided to do a better job on the cooling this time around. Shame they didnt do the same to the CPU fan though...

Guess I have to come up with another cooling mod! :D

-Ash

EDIT: And here http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/alienware-m18x/alienware-m18x_inside2.jpg

Looks like replacing GPU's is going to be a royal PITA. Looks like fun!

-Ash

I noticed the ducting + plate too. Seems they did their best this time to mitigate heat and hopefully it shows. I wish Dell had sent out an M18x with 6970M xfire + 2920xm to review. Hey dell if you're reading this, send one our way for review.

• Founder
Is it just me or does the screen look like shit in the boot up speed video?

I thought the same thing, it was extremely washed out. I hope the final sample isn't like that.

Just as an FYI, 330W PSU will weight only4 3.2 lbs...

M17X's 240W weights a huge 1.5 lbs...

Finally, Dell learned something...

Anyways, never mind ☺☻☺

woow, that is really too heavy, the psu alone heavier than many notebooks, are you sure of this info?

also do you know its size, and how does it compare to the good old 240w?

woow, that is really too heavy, the psu alone heavier than many notebooks, are you sure of this info?

also do you know its size, and how does it compare to the good old 240w?

I can't be 100% sure as I don't have it in hands. This info has been pulled out a French site review, here.

They're talking about 1.47Kg, 3.2 lbs, but let's pretend it's gonna be only 2.8 lbs, + the weight of the M18X itself, 5.41Kg, 11.9 lbs as per the manual, which makes 11.9 + 2.8 = 14.7 lbs, so this is ± 15 lbs total cost of ownership...

For comparison again, the 240W PSU of the M17X weights 0.675Kg, 1.5 lbs...

:cold:

• Thumbs Up 1

The only time this monster will be moving is on the plane to/from lan parties.

Gonna love > gtx 580 performance in a laptop! (overclocked)

-Ash

Late night games sessions at my friends house! Woot it's like a portable TV!

• 3 months later...