Cooling a 5750G?

Chicaner

I've jus bought a 5750g second hand (i5 2430M 2.4 GHz & nvidia 540M 2GB) and it's running really hot, i'm getting 95+ temperatures on both the cpu and gpu while gaming, so big thermal throttling framerate drops apply. The thing is that the fan looks almost perfectly clean so i'm discarding that option but given the fact that this laptop only have one heatsink for the cpu the gpu and the chipset and that the fan is not providing enough air flow i want to ask you for some cooling tricks to lower the full load temp to 80 or 85.

About the fan, it doesn't achieve the same rate under load that the one it gets while booting, just after powering the laptop the fan goes crazy and then drops to it's usual rate and that's not enough.

At the moment i'm thinking on:

-replacing the stock thermal compound

-buying a cooling pad <-not a big fan of this one, i think the system should take care of itself

-hacking the fan to bypass the pwm control and soldering it directly to a 5v line, jet engine rpm on demand.

I hope i can get to 85 only with the new paste wi'll see. In this laptop you can actually see the fan in trough a vent in the bottom, lighting it with a flashligth it's possible to see if the blades are dusty, anyway i'm going to open the laptop for repasting so i'll clean the fan while i'm at it.

• 10 months later...

I hope i can get to 85 only with the new paste wi'll see. In this laptop you can actually see the fan in trough a vent in the bottom, lighting it with a flashligth it's possible to see if the blades are dusty, anyway i'm going to open the laptop for repasting so i'll clean the fan while i'm at it.

• 8 months later...

Also, Acer made small simple app that in theory should allow you to run your cooler at max speed. App name is Fan Controller (how originally), you can download it from Acer site. In my case, fan does go max speed, drops temp 40-50 C, and then stops completely until temp rises. Unfortunately, sometimes it doesnt work at all and I have to restart system in order to speed up fan.

post-27962-14494997915421_thumb.jpg

I still don't like it. If I turn the laptop on and forget to start Fan Controller, temp goes to 70 C. I am going to hardwire fan to 5V supply so it runs at max speed all the time. I just have to figure out where to hijack 5V from. If anyone knows, please do tell.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Do the repaste, I had the same issue with my Acer 5750G with GT 630M and an i3 (Given the i3 probably produce less heat) Anyhow I was hitting 85-90C constantly. I repasted with Artic Silver 5 (Still good stuff & easy to find) I always do a good tiny X of thermal paste in the middle I always found it to work best than the dot)

Now I idle around 40C and pushing it I don't go past 65-70C its been great, Do it for GPU&CPU. Clean the fan out and clean the cooling fins of the laptop cooler. I think there is a few tiny thermal pads in there if you do find any don't throw them away reuse them or replace them-

• 2 months later...

I would also recommend repasting it. Especially because you bought it second hand and the notebook is from 2011.

I had the same notebook some years ago. It ran very hot. Replacing thermal paste helped a lot. In combination with the "Fan Controller" Application, it was o.k..

But had to replace the paste pretty often.