920xm install problem

bjokke

hello guys,

I got a problem with my 920xm cpu if I want to

install it I can´t get further than the windows logo.

With my old cpu i3 330m everything works fine.

I bought my cpu from laptopmonkey on ebay its a 920xm QS.

I hope somebody can help me

my current m15x specs:

°Intel i3-330m

°8gb 1333mhz Kingston

°WD Black 320gb HDD

°Nvidia GT240m 1gb DDR3

Grtz

The i3 CPUs got released several months after the i7, the 920xm has been running in the M15x since BIOS A00, it's not a bios compatibility problem.

@OP: Make sure you locked the socket after inserting the CPU. Try a power drain.

Make sure you installed the heatsink properly too. It sounds like it is overheating so when you boot up, it reaches the thermal limit and your laptop reboots.

I checked the temps in safe mode, core 1,2,3 and 4 are 70°c somethimes 60°c

strange is if I go to bios and see that the 920xm only recognized 4gb of my 8gb of ram:S

I tried also to format the hdd but after the windows loading files I got a light black screen.

I can only run safe mode.

Take off 2 RAM sticks. Try to turn laptop on then shut it off holding power button. Do power drain (unplug and hold power button for 5 seconds). Put ONE memory stick in slot 1 and try to turn it on.

Please tell about your results.

What I currently think is that it is smth with the memory. Try to find 2GB 1333Mhz RAM at home.

What RAM do you have??

Take off 2 RAM sticks. Try to turn laptop on then shut it off holding power button. Do power drain (unplug and hold power button for 5 seconds). Put ONE memory stick in slot 1 and try to turn it on.

Please tell about your results.

What I currently think is that it is smth with the memory. Try to find 2GB 1333Mhz RAM at home.

What RAM do you have??

Ok thx I´m trying that tomorow.

I´m using kingston 2*4gb 1333mhz

I still got the originals they are 2*2gb 1333mhz

If all else fails, do a clean Windows install since you are able to get into safe mode.

The usual way through f8 safe mode doesn´t work,

I've done it with msconfig.

Even in safe mode I can´t format. After press a button and the windows loading files it stuck with a black screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I recall from other forum that M15x with i3 processor could come with two different motherboard, one is HM55 and the other is PM55. For PM55 there is no problem directly upgrade from i3 to i7. However with HM55, I remember it does not support i7. Could you check your motherboard and see which one you have.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked it with cpu-z and its a pm55 motherboard. I think that the cpu is doa.

Hi, I recall from other forum that M15x with i3 processor could come with two different motherboard, one is HM55 and the other is PM55. For PM55 there is no problem directly upgrade from i3 to i7. However with HM55, I remember it does not support i7. Could you check your motherboard and see which one you have.