Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

As per Eric G., the M18X should be launched by the end of april, which is exactly in line with what I was told, march/april timeframe.

As usually, it's here, bottom of the page...

And joy... (enjoy) :Banane02:

Edited by eYe-I-aïe...

• Founder
As per Eric G., the M18X should be launched by the end of april, which is exactly in line with what I was told, march/april timeframe.

As usually, it's here, bottom of the page...

And joy... (enjoy) :Banane02:

Yup Avenger is coming alright. :) BTW before Eric ever brought up M18x, I was the first to announce it's coming after I received confirmation of it last year. ;)

Edit: looks like the thread was closed by mistake by someone. I re-opened it and don't panic, we don't close down threads here unless they blatantly break the rules. This one is here to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if anyone posted this here yet (skipped to page 8 and read from there)

When I was looking into installing BIOS A03 @r3 I noticed a typo in the description

Windows 7 - Double Click M18R1A03-W64.exe and follow instructions.

DOS - Boot to DOS and execute M17R3A03.exe. Follow directions.

source

The only reason this is potentially exciting to me is if the 18x and r3 will be sharing a bios. I actually held off on purchasing a 6970M just in case (CUDA is kind of important to me).

2920XM would be nice, too! Maybe the bios OC options will actually be useful with one of those

First post. kunekaden @ NBR

Nice site!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Not sure if anyone posted this here yet (skipped to page 8 and read from there)

When I was looking into installing BIOS A03 @r3 I noticed a typo in the description

source

The only reason this is potentially exciting to me is if the 18x and r3 will be sharing a bios. I actually held off on purchasing a 6970M just in case (CUDA is kind of important to me).

2920XM would be nice, too! Maybe the bios OC options will actually be useful with one of those

First post. kunekaden @ NBR

Nice site!

Yep saw that post and the fact that it says M18R1 suggests it wasn't a typo like some claim. Welcome to the T|I forum Kune.

hmmm...

a lighter weight, well rounded performer (possibly less frustrating drivers w/single gpu), w/nice battery life vs. a somewhat heavier, high performance (possibly somewhat more frustrating drivers w/dual gpu - perhaps a single gpu will be an option?), w/decent battery life (so long as igp is accessible)...

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
I need a laptop that will push 60fps @ 2560x1440 on all my games. When I find a laptop that does that I will be happy.

Looks like nothing can do that yet. Maybe avenger? Maybe...

-Ash

So you can use your Dell monitor right? Have you tested for lag btw?

It has a small amount of output lag, but im ok with that - im more of a MOBA/RPG player than an FPS player.

Its also why I have become "at peace" with multi GPU, as I know force vsync+triple buffering to get rid of most of the microstutter. This would destroy me in FPS's (4-5 frames behind) but totally worth it.

Additionally, only display port/dvi laptops will work with my monitor so I am a little stuck for choice.

-Ash

• Founder

Good news everyone, i just got a confirmation from a source directly at Dell that both the m18x and m14x are a go.

He has an internal document with part numbers and descriptions for both the m14x and the m18x.

(yes yes, working on getting my hands on it :) )

• Thumbs Up 2

Good news everyone, i just got a confirmation from a source directly at Dell that both the m18x and m14x are a go.

He has an internal document with part numbers and descriptions for both the m14x and the m18x.

Sweet. :)

I'm dying (as I'm sure we all are) to get confirmation of a solid release date.

Micheal- Great news. We are all very anxious to get more details on weather this beast is aluminum or rubber, and if the RGBLCD is an option. Keep us informed. Rep+

Edited by rawhide85
Text

• Founder

More M18x rumors: Google Translate

Key points:

• M18x will have a limited PSU (probably 240W)
  • M18x will support 6970M XF
  • M18x will not support 2920xm due to increased TDP requirements which add to their R&D cost. You can add it in yourself but they advise against it since their labs haven't validated it.
  • IPS/OLED: Cost is too high, they eat too much power
  • RGB LED: Not too clear but he said they can't see the difference in color between WLED and RGB LED. They also claim RGB LED damages your eyes (LOL).
  • Starting price will be $500 higher than it was for M17x-R2