Alienware M17x R4 Custom Cooling Stand

jackgarcia7

Well I recently got into overclocking and was looking into good laptop stands. After a few weeks of research I realized that there weren't many good laptop stand for this laptop. especially because of the hot spots being as high as they are. I took matters into my own hands and built my own. I had an old targus chill mat xc laying around and decided to take purchase some 120mm and make them fit the stand. I bought 2 cooler master 120mm fans (not a big fan of the blue leds but they were on sale). The dba's are around 19 and the air flow is 60cfm. To power the new fans i bought a 2x12 volt ac adapter to power the fans. Then used the old fans that came with the stand and built a suction fan that is pointed directly at the cpu vent. After all this the total cost was under 20 dollars since I already had a stand. As for the temps, my laptop used to run idle at 50-52 on extreme settings level 3. Now after change thermal paste to artic 5 and adding the laptop stand I idle at 35. If any has any question about the stand let me know.

post-7237-14494993891843_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494993894295_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494993896613_thumb.jpg

post-7237-1449499389897_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494993901413_thumb.jpg

post-7237-14494993903802_thumb.jpg

post-7237-1449499390622_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

Nice mod, does it get loud? Sometimes you can get the same or very similar drop in temperature by simply raising the notebook using lifts. We have an article about that with some results here: http://www.techinferno.com/2012/01/27/how-to-keep-your-notebook-cool-laptop-lifts-review/

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of doing something like this because I have a Walmart bed tray with a "fan" hole already built in. I wasn't sure if it would actually change the temps much though because the vent design seems to push air out the rear pretty effectively if the laptop is on a flush surface. Think I might actually give this a shot now.

- - - Updated - - -

Jack, did you start work on that water cooled system? That sounds a bit intense for a laptop lol.

I was thinking of doing something like this because I have a Walmart bed tray with a "fan" hole already built in. I wasn't sure if it would actually change the temps much though because the vent design seems to push air out the rear pretty effectively if the laptop is on a flush surface. Think I might actually give this a shot now.

- - - Updated - - -

Jack, did you start work on that water cooled system? That sounds a bit intense for a laptop lol.

Hello if you interest in the fan building process let me know I can help you if you need some help. Also regarding the water cooling system, I had to put it on hold because of final this week. But I am now done and should have an update by this weekend.

• 3 months later...
i am looking for a good stand cooler for my m17x since all are not best fit for this laptop wich would u recommend if i buy one from the internet?

I've heard the Coolermaster U3 is a great option as it has three adjustable fans. :)

jackgarcia7: I've been considering a custom cooling pad for ages now. It seems like every other pad out there makes the system /hotter/ since it "moves" the fans to the wrong places, so to speak.

Fun fact, there's already liquid cooling for laptops. Sort of. Go poke at Liquid GPU and CPU Cooling for Laptops and All-In-Ones - Asetek, Inc. . It basically boils down to "this laptop (m18x) has three radiators. We'll put all three of them and all three devices in a single loop so each device can 'rent' cooling time from another.". It probably works in concept, but if all devices are under load then it's pretty much just regular air cooling.

If you think you can do it, why not try mounting a big radiator on the back of the screen or something? That'd work a lot better.

bigtonyman: Holy crap, thank you. I'm too wussy to do a mod like Jackgarcia. This cooling pad's like, my dream come true. Sort of. I have a lot of dreams.