2011 17" MBP HD6670M + HD7770@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) + Win8 [Teknotronix]

Hi all,

The following steps were performed successfully with the following setup:

- Apple MacBook Pro 17” Late 2011. 2.4 Ghz Core i7, 16GB RAM

- TH05 Thunderbolt to PCI-Ex Adapter

- ATI Radeon 7770 Graphics Adapter (Eyefinity)

The following install arrangement is ideal if you wish to have only Windows installed without Mac OSX. Although it requires another PC with UEFI to install Windows 8, these steps are only required once if you make an image of the working base setup once complete using your choice of backup tool. Shadow Protect is an invaluable tool for things of this nature.

The result is a fully functioning eGPU setup. The integrated MacBook screen will continue to run under the default VGA.

Known issues with this setup (As of time of writing 11/11/12):

- Cannot use sleep mode. Caused by the limitations of the default VGA driver in Windows.

- Shut down process seems to freeze and will require manual hard shut down with power button once screen turns black. Restart works correctly.

- Integrated and dedicated graphics drivers do not work (Code 39 and Code 43 respectively). However built in screen continues to work with default VGA driver.

- Sound card does not work (Code 10)

- Booting requires the use of the “alt option” key

- Cannot update the driver for the integrated Intel GPU

- Windows does not remember the layout of the physical monitors relative to one another after reboot

- Requires a second PC that is UEFI compatible to initially install Windows 8 UEFI

Steps:

1. Obtain a copy of the Apple Boot camp Drivers. These can be downloaded through the Boot camp application within Mac OSX.

2. Obtain a copy of the latest ATI Catalyst drivers with control center. Using 12.11 Beta 4 at the time of writing.

3. Install Windows 8 on another machine that is UEFI compatible. Make sure that the boot order is configured so that it boots the Windows 8 install DVD as UEFI and not regular boot.

Note:
A good way to confirm you are in UEFI mode during Windows setup is that you will get four partitions created by the partition/format tool when setting up the installation on a fresh, unformatted drive with no previous partitions. Another indicator is that Windows 8 installation uses the native screen resolution if EFI gets recognized. If not you'll see the common low resolution installation.

4. Complete entire install/reboot process on that same machine until you can login and begin using Windows 8

5. Remove HDD from the setup machine and install it inside the target MacBook

6. Make sure your MacBook will not be able to connect to the internet

7. Boot the MacBook, holding down the “alt option” key so that you can select the “EFI Boot” HDD you just installed inside. You will have to use this method of booting at all times into the future as you are using this HDD with a UEFI instance of Windows 8 installed, which the MacBook BIOS emulation system cannot initiate by itself.

8. Windows will now boot but will not reach the login screen. It fails due to a bug prone version of the drivers for the integrated GPU. Leave the black screen for 5-15 minutes and then shut down by holding the power button.

9. Boot again, this time immediately power off the MacBook at the Windows 8 loading screen by holding down the power button when you see the blue windows logo. You want to do this quickly so it does not progress past this point.

10. Boot again, this time Windows will take you to the Windows Recovery system if step 9 was performed correctly. If not, perform steps 9 and 10 until you succeed.

11. In the Recovery system, select the US keyboard option. This is important for the following step.

12. In the Recovery system, select Troubleshoot->Advanced Options->Command Prompt. Enter the following command:

[INDENT][I]del c:windowssystem32driversigdkmd64.sys[/I][/INDENT]

This command will delete the bug prone driver for the integrated GPU that was causing the black screen during the boot process.

13. Reboot into Windows 8 and login

14. Disable Windows Update

15. Install Apple Boot camp Drivers in Windows 8 by navigating to “WindowsSupportSetup” within the Boot camp driver folder you downloaded. Use “Run as Administrator” option under the right click context menu. A restart will need to be applied.

16. All drivers for the hardware will be working, with the exception of the dedicated ATI graphics adapter (Code 43), integrated Intel graphics adapter (Code 39) and the sound card (Code 10)

17. Install ATI catalyst drivers. Use “Run as Administrator” option under the right click context menu.

18. Optional. Disable the ATI dedicated GPU and Integrated Intel GPU within Device Manager. “Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Device Manager”

19. Shutdown computer. You may need to perform a hard shutdown once the screen turns black.

20. Attach TH05 to thunderbolt port of the MacBook without graphics card installed. Ensure that SW2 is in position 3 and SW1 is in position 1. Attach power cable to the TH05 main board.

21. Power on the TH05 using the supplied power supply main connector power switch

22. Boot MacBook

23. After logging back in to Windows, it should recognize the TH05 and install its drivers. This is confirmed by seeing “Thunderbolt” as one of the attached devices in the notification area of the system tray.

24. Shutdown computer. You may need to perform a hard shutdown once the screen turns black.

25. Power off the TH05

26. Install ATI graphics card into TH05, including any power cables required for the graphics card

27. Power on the TH05

28. Boot MacBook

29. Optional. After logging back into Windows, go to Device Manager, right click on the top most computer level in the tree and “Scan for new hardware”. Windows should find the newly installed graphics card.

30. Optional. Reboot MacBook. Leave the TH05 powered on and connected via Thunderbolt.

31. The new graphics card should be fully functional without any code 12 or 34 errors. Success!!!!

32. Connect to the internet

33. Enable Windows Update, however do not allow it to automatically update the driver for the Intel integrated graphics as you will need to perform steps 9-12 again. The preferred option is “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”.

34. Optional. Take a backup copy of this new base install using your preferred backup utility.

Thanks to Shelltoe for info that helped me get it working:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2367-macbook-pro-retina-15-gtx-560-ti-%40-th05.html

• Thumbs Up 5

3. Install Windows 8 on another machine that is UEFI compatible. Make sure that the boot order is configured so that it boots the Windows 8 install DVD as UEFI and not regular boot.

Note:
A good way to confirm you are in UEFI mode during Windows setup is that you will get four partitions created by the partition/format tool when setting up the installation on a fresh, unformatted drive with no previous partitions.

another note: Windows 8 installation uses native screen resolution if EFI gets recognized. If it's not you'll see the common lowres installation.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done as the guide says but I'm getting "IRQL_Less_or_equal" when trying to boot, I've a MBP 15" Late 2011 Core i7 2,4ghz, 8gb ram.

- Update!

I have managed to get win 8 to work it was my Built in webcam that was causing the IRQ problems, i disconnected it from the motherboard and it all ran fine!

• 2 weeks later...
Why install windows 8 on another machine and move the drive?

Why not just install it natively on the mac?

On my mac, there is an error during the install process, once all the setup files are installed, that stops you installing it directly on the mac in UEFI mode.

... The problem with the "IRQL_Less_or_equal" was in fact the built in webcam, I unplugged it and it booted like a charm, dunno why but I am going to test it again now that the drivers are installed. So I guess maybe that should be added to the guide as well...

He has late 2011 15" Model.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I have a couple quick questions, if you don't mind...

- The Boot options I have in rEFIt all say boot off of "EFI". Is this different than "UEFI" or is that just semantics?

- If my GPU requires two 6-pin power connectors and my PSU only has one and also has a 4-pin to 6-pin adaptor, will this still work??? (Antec VP-450 450W)

- And does anyone know what the six LED lights on the TH05 signify? I usually get a the following: green, no light, no light, yellow, green, green... (weird :)

So, I got past step #20 of @Teknotronix guide. I was able to get Win8 to recognize the Thunderbolt port.

However, when I proceed to step #28 with the GPU installed and powered, I get a blinking screen and Windows just hangs... Any thoughts???

I'd really appreciate some pointers if you got'em. Thanks!!!

So, I got past step #20 of @Teknotronix guide. I was able to get Win8 to recognize the Thunderbolt port.

However, when I proceed to step #28 with the GPU installed and powered, I get a blinking screen and Windows just hangs... Any thoughts???

The exact sequence I used to get a 2012 13" MBP + GTX660 (TH05) working in EFI and BIOS mode with Win8 are here.

Thank you @Tech Inferno Fan, I even printed off that page... lol. But I'm still getting this issue. Do you have the SWEX board hooked up as well? what position is that one switched to???

I guess an update would be in order. I got the black blinking screen to stop and I got Windows to recognize the Thunderbolt port and GPU. I'm stuck on error 12 (insufficient resources). I wondering if this is truly a TOLUD issue or possibly that I don't have a good enough PSU.

My GPU requires two 6-pin inputs, but my Antek VP450 450w only has one 6-pin, but also has a 4-pin to 6-pin adaptor. I used those two. So, I'm really just using a single 6-pin and a single 4-pin... I'm a bit lost as you can gather.

So - we know its not the PSU and I've gotten past this part. Its just the error 12 issue I'm struggling with. I've set the switches as per Tech Inferno Fan's suggestion... Problem persists.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Are you using rEFIT? If so you have introduced a variable that may affect the outcome. Try following the guides to the letter and see if it makes a difference. Good Luck!

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the guide. I have success with similar setup:

Macbook Pro 17" early 2011 and

Akito Thunderbolt +

nVidia GT 970 (+PSU & whatnot)

What's so interesting is that the system works with the daisy-chained elgato thunderdock which gives me a lot more ports to use it with. I tried with the DIY 1.2 which I got for my other rMBP early 2013, but I could not get it to work with the thunderdock (without the thunderdock it's fine). With the thunderdock the compaction keep hanging, I assume that it's because of all the extra stuffs that snug in there.

Another thing noted with this system is that it may work without DIY 1.2 because nVidia card got recognized and worked without any error. However it's really on-and-off and having to replug the thunderbolt drives me crazy (BIOS really freaked out when it sees a graphic card attached to thunderbolt). With EFI boot, it works flawlessly 10 out of 10 times.

I also used this guide By Popular Demand: My "Better Than Bootcamp" Guide to Installing Windows 8 : mac to help with installing Windows 8.1 EFI without the need for a second machine. If you install it from a clean disk it will not give you trouble with the error before finishing up (which I assume has something to do with it unable to modify the EFI partition created by MacOS). Then you can restore Mac as outlined by that guide. Also you won't need to create the new partition called Windows Boot as suggested by the guide, because after installing Windows 8.1 it will create a new recognized boot option called "EFI Boot" and it will work as well (save you 128MB of disk and some troubles of partitioning really).

If you run into trouble partitioning the disk for MacOS, simply run an extra line when doing the diskpart in setup:

create partition primary

After creating the Windows partition as outlined in the guide. It will create a new partition with the rest of the empty space. Then you can format it using Disk Utility and install MacOS after done with the Windows Installs.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the guide. I have success with similar setup:

Macbook Pro 17" early 2011 and

Akito Thunderbolt +

nVidia GT 970 (+PSU & whatnot)

What's so interesting is that the system works with the daisy-chained elgato thunderdock which gives me a lot more ports to use it with. I tried with the DIY 1.2 which I got for my other rMBP early 2013, but I could not get it to work with the thunderdock (without the thunderdock it's fine). With the thunderdock the compaction keep hanging, I assume that it's because of all the extra stuffs that snug in there.

Another thing noted with this system is that it may work without DIY 1.2 because nVidia card got recognized and worked without any error. However it's really on-and-off and having to replug the thunderbolt drives me crazy (BIOS really freaked out when it sees a graphic card attached to thunderbolt). With EFI boot, it works flawlessly 10 out of 10 times.

I also used this guide By Popular Demand: My "Better Than Bootcamp" Guide to Installing Windows 8 : mac to help with installing Windows 8.1 EFI without the need for a second machine. If you install it from a clean disk it will not give you trouble with the error before finishing up (which I assume has something to do with it unable to modify the EFI partition created by MacOS). Then you can restore Mac as outlined by that guide. Also you won't need to create the new partition called Windows Boot as suggested by the guide, because after installing Windows 8.1 it will create a new recognized boot option called "EFI Boot" and it will work as well (save you 128MB of disk and some troubles of partitioning really).

So im trying very similar setup and I havent even gotten around to installing mac (dont know if i need it).

Going through the "Better Than Bootcamp" tutorial I get error codes on the internal graphics cards and sound card. I was wondering if you might have any clue how resolve with?

So im trying very similar setup and I havent even gotten around to installing mac (dont know if i need it).

Going through the "Better Than Bootcamp" tutorial I get error codes on the internal graphics cards and sound card. I was wondering if you might have any clue how resolve with?

That is what it should be. The dGPU and iGPU wont work with EFI (it will give the internal screen a black screen). That's why the dGPU must not be an nVidia otherwise you won't be able to install the drivers (as it will mess with the dGPU card). Once you install the nVidia driver and plug in the eGPU and the external screen it will show everything on the external screen (with drivers installed).

Also the sound card wont work. But if you use a TV then sound will work with HDMI output. Otherwise elgato thunderdock also has sound capability. Or you can pick up a cheap usb sound card. Many options really...

As of today everything's still working perfectly and I'm loving my better-than-desktop setup. I rarely ever get bluescreen and I'm playing games at an unimaginable fps compared to the best rmbp you can get ;)

That is what it should be. The dGPU and iGPU wont work with EFI (it will give the internal screen a black screen). That's why the dGPU must not be an nVidia otherwise you won't be able to install the drivers (as it will mess with the dGPU card). Once you install the nVidia driver and plug in the eGPU and the external screen it will show everything on the external screen (with drivers installed).

Also the sound card wont work. But if you use a TV then sound will work with HDMI output. Otherwise elgato thunderdock also has sound capability. Or you can pick up a cheap usb sound card. Many options really...

As of today everything's still working perfectly and I'm loving my better-than-desktop setup. I rarely ever get bluescreen and I'm playing games at an unimaginable fps compared to the best rmbp you can get ;)

Are there any other options to look into?

Cause it would be quite annoying...

I'm setting things up to see and I'm having some issues.

The computer doesn't recognize my akitio and there is no blue light + akitio fan not spinning + gpu fan not spinning.

Do you have a clue what could cause this?

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2011 17" MBP HD6670M + HD7770@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) + Win8 [Teknotronix]