M15x Upgrade

JakeyBoy1991

Hello, I'm new so sorry for seeming stupid! I have read guides and have a general understanding on how to replace my graphics card but just want to check I have everything, if I am missing anything help would greatly be appreciated.

When I purchased by M15x I went onto the customise selection and basically selected the best parts available, from reading online it looks like I can greatly improve the graphics card and double up the ram, so ill start with my current spec:

Processor : i7 920XM(2.00GHZ, 8MB)

Memory : 8192Mb (2x4096) 1333mhz

Graphics : 1 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX260M

HD : 256Gb SSD

And I'm looking to get 7970M and 2 corsair vengeance 8gb sticks, the main question is about the installation of the graphics card, I have ordered the card, the x bracket, thermal pads @ 0.5mm and thermal paste (artic Mx-4) as per Svl7 guide but I just wondered if I'm going to hit any comparability issues with fitting the card? I read about the m15x standard heat sink not fitting correctly or something? Also the correct backplate, i ordered the card off ebay that does say it will suit M15x so does the backplate some with or buy separate usually? Is there anything else I will need to complete the upgrade?

Many thanks in advance, and a big thanks for Svl7 for his guides, and sorry if this is answered elsewhere.

Regards

Jb91

Check the 6970m upgrade thread in the M15x forum, there are some pictures which show you the problem with the backplate... it's the same with the 7970m, if you use the small blackplate of your 260m, then it will lie on top of some capacitors which is not desirable. So you need to get a Dell or Clevo 7970m compatible backplate. If you get a Clevo backplate you'll also need the proper screws because the ones in your heatsink won't fit the Clevo backplate.

The heatsink fits well, you might need to do a very slight mod to one of the heatipipes in order to get the best results, for this again, check the 6970m upgrade thread, there are pictures.

• Thumbs Up 1

The heatsink fits well, you might need to do a very slight mod to one of the heatipipes in order to get the best results, for this again, check the 6970m upgrade thread, there are pictures.

hmmmmm im good with a hammer when it comes to demolition but when it comes to bodging things.... im not so good! so i am dreading the outcome! from making this modification does it improve the tempratures a huge amount that its needed or just something to slightly improve? as i would rather i kept the hammer in the not to be used draw..

Many thanks,

JB91

Jakey, please don't take a hammer to your heatpipes at first. Test how the new card fits with your existing configuration before hand! Do this as a last resort I implore you. svl7 is an incredible contributor and I trust his posts a lot but I'll tell you don't demolish and damage your heatpipes prematurely! Test, record and test more before you go this route!

I'll tell you, I have a Clevo 7970m in my m15x. I choose to use the Clevo x-bracket so I didn't need to file down my 5730m x-bracket nor a 6990m dell x-bracket I purchased seperately. Buying screws that fit was much easier. The heatsink fits wonderfully and the clevo x-bracket had short enough posts to make excellent contact and screw-down pressure compared to the 6990m bracket.

My reply is only I don't want you to mangle and damage your heatpipes without testing seating your card after securing your heatsink. I believe this is fundamental.

Okay i have the dell card and the Clevo x bracket, but the supplier of the xbracket didnt send me the 4 screws as per listing, anything special about these screws or can i pick up from any computer shop? also, when it comes to the pasting, spread or ball? some people explain its smarter to spread the paste on the dye rather than place a ball and spread via placing the heatsink on top?

Many thanks,

JB91

Okay i have the dell card and the Clevo x bracket, but the supplier of the xbracket didnt send me the 4 screws as per listing, anything special about these screws or can i pick up from any computer shop? also, when it comes to the pasting, spread or ball? some people explain its smarter to spread the paste on the dye rather than place a ball and spread via placing the heatsink on top?

Many thanks,

JB91

Nothing special, hardware store or computer store may and should have screws that fit. Bring the bracket just incase. When you do install the card, please note that you can seriously tighten down enough with the clevo bracket that the metal latches bend down a lot. Go gentle and evenly among each screw post

I personally prefer a small ball. Little larger than a small pea but not oversized.

One thing I do which others may not approve of, is I do a ball on the heatsink then spread it with a plastic glove and then wipe up any excess. I do this as I feel it helps fill in microfissures on the heatsink before contact. With the guys here, I'm sure I'll hear why this is a bad idea or pointless. I never had a proven reason for doing this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2