Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Has anybody else gotten the Intel 6300 working? I bought one and tried to use the file supplied by Berghaus but I ended up stock. Everything still works but when I try to install the 6300 I get the unauthorized network card message.

Yes, I got the Intel 6300 working & you should use the Lenovo_Y480_Y580_-_BIOS_V.206_[unlocked][no whitelist] from the very 1st post.

To svl7, thank you very much. Can I make a request? If can i want to request Bios Locked but no whitelist :not_ripe:

Hi, svl7

I've already flashed the official 2.06 BIOS. However,when I was trying to flash the unlocked 2.06 bios modified by you,it says "the version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios". I've also Google this and found a possible solution(which is to unRAR the .exe file and modify platform.ini) ,but it didn't work. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this?

BTW, I've found a 2.07 bios of Y580/Y480 on a Chinese forum. It doesn't seem like an official rom, but some people have flashed this and had no problems.

Bios link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/is4t5x3phrqbiw4/QIWY3207.exe

Thanks a lot !

Hello,

I am still having a problem where my Wireless card, 6205, will not show up in windows 8 device manager. And somehow, shortly after that the white list has come back and I had to go back to the 2200. I am still getting the incompatible wireless card error. Ideas?

Hey all

I have new pics.

video config

thermal config

advanced cpu control

IDE config > HDC config has 3 options: IDE - AHCI - RAID

good if someone want to RAID a msata with a regular SSD... but not sure if it work

Has anyone comfirmed that this chipset actually supports RAID?

You'll have a lot of happy people since Lenovo doesn't have the cache driver for Windows 8 for the HDD+msata SSD rapid storage right.

If it does do RAID then we could just use the Intel version as that is what it required.

i flashed my bios with unlocked and no whitelist. after flashing i've installed a intel advanced-n + wimax 6250 wifi adapter and no error occurred while booting. after installing the new driver, i see a list of APs which i can connect to. but there's a problem now: i can't connect to any AP in the list. i've tried more than 2 different APs - still no luck.

is there anything i can try out?

Luckily i got closer to the problem. it seems, that only 2.4 GHz based networks doesn't work. connecting to a 5 GHz based network works fine and fast. i guess i have to replace the card with another.... damn.

svl7, could you please remove the whitelist in the latest BIOS (v2.07) on the previous page? My laptop shipped with the latest one and I would like to use it with a different wifi card.

Thanks!!

you can do it yourself. Here's how to:

1. Download whitelist unlocked bios (ver.2.06) - link few pages before

2. change .exe to .rar

OPTION #1

3.1 modify in platform.ini. Change: [bios_Version_Check] Flag=0

OPTION #2

3.1 extract QIWY3206.rom

3.2 open with hex editor

3.3 search for "5dcn39ww" and change to 5dcn40ww

3.4 search for "2.06" and change to 2.07

3.5 save and replace original rom in rar archive.

4. change back .rar to .exe

5. run and enjoy.

In my case modifying .ini file did not work (although many people confirmed it works, I still had error message). After modifying .rom file with HEX editor - all works just fine -PC boots and operates well. Tomorrow I will replace Wifi interface. Hope it will work too...

Hello,

I just bought this laptop and I wanted to put an Intel Ultimate-N 6300, so I was going to use this modified BIOS. I just wanted to know that if I don't want the modified BIOS in the future is it possible to flash the regular stock BIOS on top of it again and go back to the way it came?

Also, can anyone else confirm that the Intel 6300 works with the modified BIOS posted in the first post of this thread and that the one another user posted in this thread isn't needed?

Thank you.

you can do it yourself. Here's how to:

1. Download whitelist unlocked bios (ver.2.06) - link few pages before

2. change .exe to .rar

OPTION #1

3.1 modify in platform.ini. Change: [bios_Version_Check] Flag=0

OPTION #2

3.1 extract QIWY3206.rom

3.2 open with hex editor

3.3 search for "5dcn39ww" and change to 5dcn40ww

3.4 search for "2.06" and change to 2.07

3.5 save and replace original rom in rar archive.

4. change back .rar to .exe

5. run and enjoy.

In my case modifying .ini file did not work (although many people confirmed it works, I still had error message). After modifying .rom file with HEX editor - all works just fine -PC boots and operates well. Tomorrow I will replace Wifi interface. Hope it will work too...

Thanks for replying. Your method will just change the name of the BIOS, what I would like is the latest BIOS itself without a whitelist. I am already running the V2.06 after modifying the bios version check line.

Hello,

I just bought this laptop and I wanted to put an Intel Ultimate-N 6300, so I was going to use this modified BIOS. I just wanted to know that if I don't want the modified BIOS in the future is it possible to flash the regular stock BIOS on top of it again and go back to the way it came?

Also, can anyone else confirm that the Intel 6300 works with the modified BIOS posted in the first post of this thread and that the one another user posted in this thread isn't needed?

Thank you.

1) YES, I can confirm the modified bios work with Intel 6300 & Intel 6235.

2) YES, you can use the regular bios in the future, but you MUST edit the platform.ini (change RESSEN to RESSDIS)

• Thumbs Up 1

One more question, I noticed that in my current BIOS it says that I have version 5DCN90WW (v8.0.1) the modified bios is version 2.0.6 which I think is 5DCN39WW. Are these two both the same? I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y580 that I just bought about a week ago.

Did yours have the same bios version when you installed the modified? Lenovo's website shows that 5DCN39WW is the latest bios available for this laptop on their website, but I don't know why I have 5DCN90ww.

One more question, I noticed that in my current BIOS it says that I have version 5DCN90WW (v8.0.1) the modified bios is version 2.0.6 which I think is 5DCN39WW. Are these two both the same? I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y580 that I just bought about a week ago.

Did yours have the same bios version when you installed the modified? Lenovo's website shows that 5DCN39WW is the latest bios available for this laptop on their website, but I don't know why I have 5DCN90ww.

1) I think it is not the same (5DCN90WW [v8.0.1] vs 5DCN39WW [v2.0.6])

2) Yes, my y480 have the same bios version when I installed the modified.

Make sure you backup your current bios before flashing. Dont worry about 5DCN39WW [v2.0.6] since this version are for both y480 and y580 as stated on the Lenovo website.

• Thumbs Up 1

I flashed this BIOS on my Y580... It seemed to work just fine, and I left my BIOS settings at default after flashing. However, after I shut the computer down and then left it alone for a day or two, now I can't boot it up anymore. I can't even get to a BIOS screen. The power turns on, but I get no beep (if I hold down a button for long enough it will beep at me, and the system is otherwise totally unresponsive). Is there anything I can do? I didn't change the settings at all, I just flashed the BIOS and left the settings at default.

I flashed this BIOS on my Y580... It seemed to work just fine, and I left my BIOS settings at default after flashing. However, after I shut the computer down and then left it alone for a day or two, now I can't boot it up anymore. I can't even get to a BIOS screen. The power turns on, but I get no beep (if I hold down a button for long enough it will beep at me, and the system is otherwise totally unresponsive). Is there anything I can do? I didn't change the settings at all, I just flashed the BIOS and left the settings at default.

Not sure it'll work, but I flashed my old HP laptop and it did the same thing. The only thing that fixed it was removing the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes and then putting it back in. It booted right up after that. Worth a shot.

Hey Svl7 i've tried to flash your bios but unfortunately i could not...i got this error "IHISI: Flash write error in SMI! SMI return code: 0x25"

Mi current version is 5DCN89WW. Any idea, help? Thanks

I have the same problem. I tried it a couple of times and got the same result each time... almost thought the thing was bricked the first time it happened, since the keyboard didn't work anymore and I had to pull the battery and power to get it to restart. Maybe the system board has been updated between the original Y580s that came with i7-3610qm and the newer ones that come with i7-3630qm? It could explain the apparent differences in BIOS version number as well (2.06 vs 8.01 in this case).

They both say the platform ID is QIWY3, though...

I have the same problem. I tried it a couple of times and got the same result each time... almost thought the thing was bricked the first time it happened, since the keyboard didn't work anymore and I had to pull the battery and power to get it to restart. Maybe the system board has been updated between the original Y580s that came with i7-3610qm and the newer ones that come with i7-3630qm? It could explain the apparent differences in BIOS version number as well (2.06 vs 8.01 in this case).

They both say the platform ID is QIWY3, though...

You know, now that I think about it they would HAVE to be different. Y580s that shipped with Windows 7 would have to have a SLIC table for licensing and those that shipped with Windows 8 would have to have OA3.0 and all of the secure boot stuff it needs.

svl7, can we get a modded version of the current version Y580's BIOS? :)

You know, now that I think about it they would HAVE to be different. Y580s that shipped with Windows 7 would have to have a SLIC table for licensing and those that shipped with Windows 8 would have to have OA3.0 and all of the secure boot stuff it needs.

svl7, can we get a modded version of the current version Y580's BIOS? :)

Yes maybe is because of the that. Svl7 can you tell us something? could you mod the version of our bios?

Thanks

Installed the unlocked bios and loving it so far, already enabled VT-D which was previously disabled for some reason in the stock bios, what do I need to do to modify these bios to edit the VBIOS? I have a ton of experience in tweaking ATI and Nvidia card BIOS and often do permanent bios overclock/volt mods with my desktop cards and my friends cards and I would love to do the same with the y580. GTX660M 2gb GDDR5