Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

i have problem too. flash bios with 8.01 v. all works fine but (my mistake) i change vga settings and now my screen blank. try recovery with QIWY3/QIWY4 combinations, and no effect. Try backup rom file and orginal from Lenovo. Usb stick only blink. If use name QIWY3.bi,QIWY3.bin,QIWY3.rom blink long other case blink short.

check right filename with phoenixtool and on my backup file show me 'QIWY3.bi?' . When i check on mod rom what im flashed phoenixtool dont show any name ...

some one have any idea how rescue my y580?

What VGA setting..? If you mean you disabled intel graphics, then you can blindly revert that as long as you didn't get too deep into your recovery attempt. It's been mentioned various times that it is impossible to disable optimus this way, or use discrete graphics as primary display adapter. Search this thread for a post I made early on in this thread on how to do it (I made this mistake too). IIRC, it was: Turn on laptop hitting f2 until you think you're in bios (no more than 10 sec), then hit F9 -> enter -> F10 -> enter. I don't remember if that's the exact procedure, there might be a

or

I'm missing but I think that should work.

EDIT: @my earlier post, I did a few more benchmarks, and it seems that it's not just my physics score that is suffering, but my graphics score as well. Maybe I'll try flashing 8.0x unlocked again, hopefully without bricking it this time since I have no more warranty. Was able to flash the beta 8.0x, but was not able to flash the unlocked one...

3dmark11 scores: 3735, 3691, 3689. From what I gather, ~3735 seems to be my max; compared to my 3900s on windows 7... I'm nearly 90% sure this is unrelated to BIOS, probably missing some ambiguous setting; I'm betting it's related to Lenovo Energy Management. Here's a screenshot of device manager:

DeviceManager_zps996f5bfb.png

EDIT 2: Okay, I'm glad to know I'm not alone here after reading this thread and I think the lower scores in Win 8 are just that, and isn't necessarily borking fps in games. That's a relief, but sucks that I can't do any actual benching with 3dmark11 while in Win 8.

i try many options to get into bios and use def settings but no effect. i think my y580 don't start enough to open bios. im so sad ... :) i think i must go pc servive and program chip ... ehh

What was your stock bios version?

EDIT: I found a "fix" for the low scores, in case anyone else is curious. After disabling, "allow system to power down device to save power" under the power management tab in device manager for nearly every device (for some reason I get BSOD when I try to do it for one of the bluetooth devices), I was able to get a semi-normal score (in Win 7) of 3823. Physics score still lacking, but not far off my average scores in win 7. I think the only one you actually need to disable power management for is Lenovo Vhid Device.

I don't know why my USB Dos couldn't start?

Try using rufus if the tool from the OP's tutorial doesn't work for creating a bootable DOS on a USB. Make sure you're using one of the ports on the right side which are USB 2.0 since IIRC they get initialized before the 3.0; and that the file format of the usb is fat32; and finally, this should be obvious, but make sure you're hitting the key to select which device to boot from (i think f11 or f9?) or just go to bios and set your usb to be first.

On a side note, here is my laptop setup with dual coolers (two coolers probably unnecessary... but better than it collect dust XD). Both the bottom cover and the keyboard is removed since I use external keyboard (actually, everything is external, from input to output):

2014-03-21_10-30-15_HDR_zps8c750c77.jpg

2014-03-21_09-50-51_HDR_zpsebd5f17a.jpg

2014-03-21_09-56-19_HDR_zps57f1e719.jpg

I also removed the air/dust filter which was below the fan (on the inside).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello,

i would like to update my Y580 BIOS to an unlocked one.

Now i have installed the following version: V2.07

Can anyone tell me which exe file is the right one.

Is it possible to install an original Lenovo BIOS after installing a modified version? (Recovery)

thx

Hello,

i would like to update my Y580 BIOS to an unlocked one.

Now i have installed the following version: V2.07

Can anyone tell me which exe file is the right one.

Is it possible to install an original Lenovo BIOS after installing a modified version? (Recovery)

thx

The answer to this is in nearly 90% of the posts, including the OP.

Is there a way to enable display brightness in the BIOS? My screen was cracked by my sister shortly after I bought it after it first came out and have lost that control ever since.

Even with the same exact display as the factory screen as a replacement (Lenovo wanted $400 to replace it), I was not able to change the brightness from min and max. I ended up buying the AUO B156HW01 V.7 and I find it to be superior to the stock display. Though I have used the AUO for close to a year and only had the stock display for roughly two weeks, so I have some bias from not being able to remember...

There is a post on the bottom of page 77 (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions-77.html#post54202) requesting this same thing, but it was never acknowledged or replied to...

Sorry to answer a question with a question guys, but I have another question :D

Driver 337.50 enables SHADOWPLAY on GTX660m (hurraaay!). But when I click the "power button" in Geforce Experience Shadowplay menu - nothing happens. Does it work for anybody here?

ps. gawagandalf GTX660m on 400MHz during furmark eats 1% of battery every 30 seconds. Thats overkill :P I would say there is not enough power for CPU and GPU and one of them throttles down every moment. Does it happen on Intel HD4000?

Driver 337.50 enables SHADOWPLAY on GTX660m (hurraaay!). But when I click the "power button" in Geforce Experience Shadowplay menu - nothing happens. Does it work for anybody here?

Shadowplay does the same for me.

After looking on the GeFE 2.0 forum, there's already someone who has a 660M and posted exactly the same question but there is no Mod reply to it as of this post.

Besides the general "do a clean install" the Mod's are giving, there's no solution now...

ps. gawagandalf GTX660m on 400MHz during furmark eats 1% of battery every 30 seconds. Thats overkill :P I would say there is not enough power for CPU and GPU and one of them throttles down every moment. Does it happen on Intel HD4000?

dont use furmark as some1 stated in this thread be4 , intel runs better but with horrible graphic performance on battery nvidia shows 400mhz only when u watch ur gpu speed but when u actually play game it must be more cause game is not sttutering da whole time ..

I just need setup so it might kill battery live faster but i dont care ..

I got ShadowPlay to work by reinstalling the drivers and choosing the "Express" Install setting and after the driver finished installing, ShadowPlay turned on (haven't tested yet). If choosing the "Customize" does anything to SP working, I don't know...

I deleted the NvStreamSrv, LEDVisualizer, and the N3DVision folders since I had no use of it (Streaming and N3DVision), or was incompatable (LEDV) before the reinstall.

My logic is that there's simply is no use wasting SSD space and having useless processes running... I did that with all the previous drivers and had no issues since Mobile GPUs were not supported for a lot of GFE's features. Now it looks like to get ShadowPlay to work (Capture Service most likely) you have to have streaming capabilities (Streamer Services)...

It is disappointing that for one, Nvidia cannot add a few lines of code to delete the old driver folder(s) in the Nvidia folder in C: and the Installer2 folder in Program Files/Nvidia, and separate the different features so that we can choose what we want to install. They used to be able to do that...

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you do a "clean install"? I used DDU to uninstall, but didn't check "clean instal" - I never do that and it always worked perfect.

When you're installing nvidia drivers, AFAIK, selecting "clean install" just deletes/resets your driver settings, including application-specific and global driver preferences. This is only something you'd want to do if you were changing some deep shit in nvidia inspector that may or may not have caused issues. For most people, or rather in my experiences, selecting this is not required.

&& side note: If anyone has ever booted up their y580/480 to only see that the operating system (or the whole laptop for that matter) does not recognize the 660m at all, and can only see the integrated HD 4000 in GPU-Z, the problem might most likely be a worn out cable. The cables which would be responsible for this is either (A) the DC power cable or (B) the upper (as in, when the laptop is upside down and the battery slot is facing AWAY from you) cable located near the DC one.

What I'm referring to are the set of three small cables on the bottom of the laptop. The bigger one is directly connected to your AC adapter, the lower one (educated guess) is for all USB related peripherals (internal & external), not sure what the other one is for but wiggling it helps my 660m become detected again. I actually had worn my DC cable so much by attempting various mods and repasting that it broke :\ and had to replace it. But before replacing it I carefully taped it in place and learned that the DC cable, in conjunction with the other little cable was responsible for, what appeared to be, a dead 660m.

This may or may not help whoever is in this situation. Just my two cents.

I must clarify my previous post. I have ShadowPlay working under Windows 8.1 64-bit, and not in Windows 7 HP 64-bit.

I have reinstalled the 337.50 drivers multiple times, regular and clean install, and now before posting this I uninstalled the driver itself and GeFE (could not uninstall PhyX due to the missing uninstall folder in Installer2...) and did a fresh driver install.

SP still does not work even after the fresh install. After the fresh install and launching GeFE for the first time after the restart, I was able to get SP to turn on and it started configuring itself.

After a few seconds of configuration the screen flashed black and SP turned off. After the screen came from black, and from then on, I can click the SP power button to my hearts content and nothing happens.

Anybody else with this same problem or SP working under Windows 7??

Hi everyone, one question. I am currently running on Stock bios 2.07, which is preventing me from flashing the unlocked version.

Someone please help.

Okay, so after much internet searching, I found this unlocking y580 bios whiched helped me bypass the Insyde version check, which was blocking me from flashing the unlocked bios. *fingers crossed*

Thank you svl7, cause you replied in that post too.

Sill no bluetooth i change my wlan (bcm4313) with ar9285 (ar5b95), i got mod bios 2.07

Hey nrosver, did you manage to figure out the bluetooth problem after flashing 2.07?

I face the same problem as you, after flashing mod 2.07, the Broadcom bluetooth card just stopped working. I can't even find it on device manager anymore.

Someone please help. post-24870-14494997504313_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

i have also a question about changing the WLAN Card of the Y580.

I have a Y580 with BIOS 5DCD89WW (v8.00) installed with a Core i5-3210M and pre-installed with Windwos 8 64 Bit.

I dont find a unlock BIOS for my Y580. I only want to change the WLAN Card to a Intel 7260 or someone else.

Can someone help me please?

Sorry about my english, i´m from Germany...

Hi,

i have also a question about changing the WLAN Card of the Y580.

I have a Y580 with BIOS 5DCD89WW (v8.00) installed with a Core i5-3210M and pre-installed with Windwos 8 64 Bit.

I dont find a unlock BIOS for my Y580. I only want to change the WLAN Card to a Intel 7260 or someone else.

Can someone help me please?

Sorry about my english, i´m from Germany...

The Bios you are looking for is on the first page. Look for the v8.00 version there, download and flash.

• Thumbs Up 1