Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

ah ok thanks

Don't know if anyone knows about this, or if it actually affects performance in any way, but you can update ME firmware using this method for 8.X based firmware: Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools

This is also the same intel ME version you see in bios. It might be a good idea to update since IME controls some of the clock timers etc.

Don't know if anyone knows about this, or if it actually affects performance in any way, but you can update ME firmware using this method for 8.X based firmware: Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools

This is also the same intel ME version you see in bios. It might be a good idea to update since IME controls some of the clock timers etc.

I will only do this if I'm sure it will work! :D

would be nice if somebody try's it

EDIT: ''The average MODDER / PERFORMANCE enthusiast does not need to be overly concerned with updating the MEI FIRMWARE / DRIVERS, as this is not as important as to performance as the RAID OROM's, Storage drivers, and other hardware based OROM's inside the BIOS.''

I will only do this if I'm sure it will work! :D

would be nice if somebody try's it

EDIT: ''The average MODDER / PERFORMANCE enthusiast does not need to be overly concerned with updating the MEI FIRMWARE / DRIVERS, as this is not as important as to performance as the RAID OROM's, Storage drivers, and other hardware based OROM's inside the BIOS.''

I guess I overlooked that part XD I did it anyway though. Although, I made a post on here somewhere asking if I should or shouldn't update it and was told it has an influence since it controls clock timings.

--Updated--

How come sometimes I get a higher score with lower clocks and vice versa? Does this mean my GPU is being lazy or did something interfere with the benchmark (e.g. background applications, which I shouldn't have many of)?

Examples of 3DMARK11 benchmark runs:

• 3983 @ 1400 MHz (Core) / 2880 MHz (Memory)
  • 3969 @ 1410 MHz (Core) / 2950 MHz (Memory)

OOOORRRR is this just one of those anomalies that no one knows the exact answer to?

A

I guess I overlooked that part XD I did it anyway though. Although, I made a post on here somewhere asking if I should or shouldn't update it and was told it has an influence since it controls clock timings.

--Updated--

How come sometimes I get a higher score with lower clocks and vice versa? Does this mean my GPU is being lazy or did something interfere with the benchmark (e.g. background applications, which I shouldn't have many of)?

Examples of 3DMARK11 benchmark runs:

• 3983 @ 1400 MHz (Core) / 2880 MHz (Memory)
  • 3969 @ 1410 MHz (Core) / 2950 MHz (Memory)

OOOORRRR is this just one of those anomalies that no one knows the exact answer to?

so it worked?

i think thats normal, if i look at your freaking crazy core-clock, it's only 10mhz higher than the first run... so there can be such differences...

so yes, it is ''just one of those anomalies that no one knows the exact answer to'' :D

which voltage are you running?

and what about your cpu? are you running throttlestop? and did you changed the settings in bios that i told?

I ask because i get easily 7900 physics score, sometimes over 8000... and thats with my 3630QM...

A 3610QM can also reach around 7900 with all the tweaks i think..

Quick question to confirm, I read how to flash the OEM over the modified when receiving the error about the version being older than the current, but, when I try to flash the modified version I get the same error. I just want to make sure the procedure will be the same, or what the recommended work around is. Thanks

so it worked?

Yep,

imeiinfo_zps539bfc84.png

which voltage are you running?

1.2125 V XDDD I figure if I keep my memory clocks down for my "everyday clocks" and my temps under control then the gpu will last me ~1-2+ years. And by then, I'll probably either get a new laptop or just upgrade CPU and do an eGPU (which has been done successfully on the y580).

and what about your cpu? are you running throttlestop? and did you changed the settings in bios that i told?

3610QM. I run throttlestop as soon as it boots, regardless of what task (e.g. gaming, checking weather, etc etc). I've been using the settings you shared since I first read that post (that is, if you're talking about the short/long power/time limits). I actually went a step further and have my short and long power limits to 60W / 65 W (this is one of many different values I use, but 60W / 65W is most used). In throttlestop, everything is unchecked except for the first three checkboxes. I also disabled C-States, set ASPM to disabled under video -> PCI Express Graphic, disabled BD PROCHOT.

A 3610QM can also reach around 7900 with all the tweaks i think..

I do wonder why I'm never in the 8000s or even anything higher than 7600 for physics, but I always thought this was just a limitation of the cpu. Looking at some of the results on 3dmark11 for 660m+3610qm, it seems my usual phys score of 7600 is about slightly below average. Since a lot of those benchmarks at the start are mine (most results with ADATA sx300 & 2x 4GB corsair = me), the physics score of most excluding mine I've seen go near 7800 - 8000s.

Do you think this could be a faulty Windows install or maybe related to a driver? When I was using Windows 8, my physics was always near 7300 and when I went back to Windows 7, it jumped back up to "normal." && Since my lastest Windows install, I was a little sloppy and just installed chipset -> restart -> intel hd 4000 -> atheros LAN driver-> restart -> nvidia -> intel MEI -> directx -> some misc applications like chrome, VLC, steam, etc -> restart. I don't use the wifi card so I skipped it entirely, also since then I've done system restore several times. I later learned that this can sometimes mess up drivers..

BTW, what voltage are you running, and what long/short power limits do you use? &&& Did you ever try using intel XTU to control your power limits, or find out how to OC the base clock for ur cpu? I know you have 3630QM which is not the same as 3610QM but I figure the method to OC a 3630QM on a y580 would be the same for 3610QM.

Hello all i read almost all pages but i did not found any1 with lenovo y580 i5-3210M is it safe to flash my bios or more like will it increase performance for games with i5 core?

Iam only asking cause my lenovo is running (with cooler master notepal x2) around 87-91ºC ,iam dissasembling it to check if i need to reaply heat paste ...

+ i cannot download Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) .-[ it says download has moved .-[ i can only download bios v8.01 from attached files

Hello all i read almost all pages but i did not found any1 with lenovo y580 i5-3210M is it safe to flash my bios or more like will it increase performance for games with i5 core?

Iam only asking cause my lenovo is running (with cooler master notepal x2) around 87-91ºC ,iam dissasembling it to check if i need to reaply heat paste ...

+ i cannot download Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) .-[ it says download has moved .-[ i can only download bios v8.01 from attached files

87ºC-91ºC! That's nearly reaching max temps which is when you cause serious damage to your gpu, you should 100% repaste. Make sure you carefully and completely clean the old paste before reapplying the new stuff. Do not use the "spread method" since this will increase your chances of having air pockets, which is bad. Just apply a tiny dot of paste on the center of the die, and try not to damage the adhesive part of the thermal tape surrounding the gpu. Don't use corrosive cleaning agents either, stick to rubbing alcohol if not already doing so, 70%+. Make sure your screws are tightened as far as they can go without stripping the screw or breaking the spring.

Dust can also play a big factor, it wouldn't be a bad idea to open up the fan and clean the dust on the fan blades / chamber; same goes for your cooler. If you're not using an SSD, you should move your hard drive to the optical bay using a caddy, this way your HDD is not making your cpu and gpu hotter and vice versa.

Removing the battery and more importantly the bottom cover of the laptop can, and will decrease your temps nearly more than anything else. As long as you're not constantly moving your laptop at an angle which is not parrallell to the surface it's sitting on, you don't have to worry about anything messing up. Also, if you can, place the laptop on the cooler so that the coolest area is directly below your cpu and gpu, this only makes a big difference when your bottom cover is removed. If this is a little awkward to do, then try to position your laptop so that the area from where the most coldest, and largest amount of air is blowing on, or near the vent located on the bottom of the fan because this is where it draws in air to help keep things cool and then exhausts it to the left.

What is the ambient temperature for your laptop? I probably should have asked this first before I went on a tip giving spree >.> If it's about 75-80+, although these pointers will surely help out, there is not much else you can do other than taking your laptop completely apart and modding it to fight in a desktop tower with (or without) liquid cooling cuz liquid cooling is baws :P

EDIT: Forgot to answer your main question lol. It is perfectly safe as long as you strictly follow the directions in the OP; however, you should get your temps under controls before since svl7's bios increases the default core clock to 1000 (you can always mod the vbios to change this, it's not that difficult). The amount of performance you get, aside from the default clock increase and whitelist removal, depends solely on your settings. This is just an unlocked version of the bios you already have. You can read some of the settings posted earlier which others, including myself, are using; I'm not going to repeat it since it's not that difficult to find.

GL with your frying pan XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep,

imeiinfo_zps539bfc84.png

1.2125 V XDDD I figure if I keep my memory clocks down for my "everyday clocks" and my temps under control then the gpu will last me ~1-2+ years. And by then, I'll probably either get a new laptop or just upgrade CPU and do an eGPU (which has been done successfully on the y580).

3610QM. I run throttlestop as soon as it boots, regardless of what task (e.g. gaming, checking weather, etc etc). I've been using the settings you shared since I first read that post (that is, if you're talking about the short/long power/time limits). I actually went a step further and have my short and long power limits to 60W / 65 W (this is one of many different values I use, but 60W / 65W is most used). In throttlestop, everything is unchecked except for the first three checkboxes. I also disabled C-States, set ASPM to disabled under video -> PCI Express Graphic, disabled BD PROCHOT.

I do wonder why I'm never in the 8000s or even anything higher than 7600 for physics, but I always thought this was just a limitation of the cpu. Looking at some of the results on 3dmark11 for 660m+3610qm, it seems my usual phys score of 7600 is about slightly below average. Since a lot of those benchmarks at the start are mine (most results with ADATA sx300 & 2x 4GB corsair = me), the physics score of most excluding mine I've seen go near 7800 - 8000s.

Do you think this could be a faulty Windows install or maybe related to a driver? When I was using Windows 8, my physics was always near 7300 and when I went back to Windows 7, it jumped back up to "normal." && Since my lastest Windows install, I was a little sloppy and just installed chipset -> restart -> intel hd 4000 -> atheros LAN driver-> restart -> nvidia -> intel MEI -> directx -> some misc applications like chrome, VLC, steam, etc -> restart. I don't use the wifi card so I skipped it entirely, also since then I've done system restore several times. I later learned that this can sometimes mess up drivers..

BTW, what voltage are you running, and what long/short power limits do you use? &&& Did you ever try using intel XTU to control your power limits, or find out how to OC the base clock for ur cpu? I know you have 3630QM which is not the same as 3610QM but I figure the method to OC a 3630QM on a y580 would be the same for 3610QM.

Bone stock without doing anything to my system after a fresh install of 8.1 and perhaps a little slop on the drivers as well, I am hitting 6600s. With some adjustments I have peaked into the 7600 mark. Cant get this bios to flash, as soon as I can I will see what numbers i can pull. I just bought the machine from lenovos refurbishing warehouse in the US so it should be like new and able to take a lil abuse..

svl7 - i have been working to flash this bios all day, and tried as many options as I can come across, and the latest has been trying to get the prr utility to try and flash in dos however I the site says I dont have the correct permissions to download the file.

Is there not a way to make a file that does not check the version when it updates? This all seems like a bit much for such a trivial issue.

87ºC-91ºC! That's nearly reaching max temps which is when you cause serious damage to your gpu, you should 100% repaste. Make sure you carefully and completely clean the old paste before reapplying the new stuff. Do not use the "spread method" since this will increase your chances of having air pockets, which is bad. Just apply a tiny dot of paste on the center of the die, and try not to damage the adhesive part of the thermal tape surrounding the gpu. Don't use corrosive cleaning agents either, stick to rubbing alcohol if not already doing so, 70%+. Make sure your screws are tightened as far as they can go without stripping the screw or breaking the spring.

Dust can also play a big factor, it wouldn't be a bad idea to open up the fan and clean the dust on the fan blades / chamber; same goes for your cooler. If you're not using an SSD, you should move your hard drive to the optical bay using a caddy, this way your HDD is not making your cpu and gpu hotter and vice versa.

Removing the battery and more importantly the bottom cover of the laptop can, and will decrease your temps nearly more than anything else. As long as you're not constantly moving your laptop at an angle which is not parrallell to the surface it's sitting on, you don't have to worry about anything messing up. Also, if you can, place the laptop on the cooler so that the coolest area is directly below your cpu and gpu, this only makes a big difference when your bottom cover is removed. If this is a little awkward to do, then try to position your laptop so that the area from where the most coldest, and largest amount of air is blowing on, or near the vent located on the bottom of the fan because this is where it draws in air to help keep things cool and then exhausts it to the left.

What is the ambient temperature for your laptop? I probably should have asked this first before I went on a tip giving spree >.> If it's about 75-80+, although these pointers will surely help out, there is not much else you can do other than taking your laptop completely apart and modding it to fight in a desktop tower with (or without) liquid cooling cuz liquid cooling is baws :P

EDIT: Forgot to answer your main question lol. It is perfectly safe as long as you strictly follow the directions in the OP; however, you should get your temps under controls before since svl7's bios increases the default core clock to 1000 (you can always mod the vbios to change this, it's not that difficult). The amount of performance you get, aside from the default clock increase and whitelist removal, depends solely on your settings. This is just an unlocked version of the bios you already have. You can read some of the settings posted earlier which others, including myself, are using; I'm not going to repeat it since it's not that difficult to find.

GL with your frying pan XD

Thank you very much for reply .) eventhough my frying pan is running at lower temps but when i start game it is allways 86+Celsius .. I mined my first bitcoin with this laptop :P

I never used the battery only for bios update and i have ssd so i cannot move my hdd but i try to remove the under cover ..

Please svl7 reupload bios v.2.07 download at first page has moved somewhere....

Quick question to confirm, I read how to flash the OEM over the modified when receiving the error about the version being older than the current, but, when I try to flash the modified version I get the same error. I just want to make sure the procedure will be the same, or what the recommended work around is. Thanks

Oh-K. This is really starting to get annoying, after searching all day, finally was able to flash the bios, and none of the changes are visible in the bios, or clock of the gpu changed? What in the #$@&*@!@$!#~%@##@!@&&!!@@#~!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would that happen? It erases the ROM, writes the ROM and no changes take place???!!!!

Yep,

imeiinfo_zps539bfc84.png

Thats nice. Did you noticed any differnece with the new ME-firmware?

hm.. maybe the cpu quality is also really important?

that thing with your windows installations could also be a factor... but it should be enough to just install the drivers clean..

did you noticed performance gains with windows 8 in games with your Y580?

on GPU I'm running the stock voltage of 1,1V... I didn't touch the voltages of the cpu.. altough I think you can't change the voltage of a 36xxQM...

Yes I tried XTU already.. but i like Throttlestop a lot more thats why I uninstalled XTU...

I'm using 56 W for short and long power limits... Time limit is at ''3670016 s''.. :D that is the max I can choose in Throttlestop under ''TPL'' after the BIOS-tweaks

but I haven't disabled the C-states and have still full performance I must say

for overclocking the base clock of the cpu you have to make a small modification in the ME-firmware before installing, I read this somewhere here in the forum

I wanted to try this, but stopped it before messing up my laptop... beside this the CPU is bottlenecked by the 660m

... and with all the BIOS-tweaks and throttlestop you can get the maximum power out of your i7!

Thank you very much for reply .) eventhough my frying pan is running at lower temps but when i start game it is allways 86+Celsius .. I mined my first bitcoin with this laptop :P

I never used the battery only for bios update and i have ssd so i cannot move my hdd but i try to remove the under cover ..

Please svl7 reupload bios v.2.07 download at first page has moved somewhere....

Just scroll up to the top of the page, click on "Downloads" on the right, navigate through the pages, and when you see the BIOS versions, just download the 2.0X version with the most downloads or most recent one.

Thats nice. Did you noticed any differnece with the new ME-firmware?

hm.. maybe the cpu quality is also really important?

that thing with your windows installations could also be a factor... but it should be enough to just install the drivers clean..

did you noticed performance gains with windows 8 in games with your Y580?

on GPU I'm running the stock voltage of 1,1V... I didn't touch the voltages of the cpu.. altough I think you can't change the voltage of a 36xxQM...

Yes I tried XTU already.. but i like Throttlestop a lot more thats why I uninstalled XTU...

I'm using 56 W for short and long power limits... Time limit is at ''3670016 s''.. :D that is the max I can choose in Throttlestop under ''TPL'' after the BIOS-tweaks

but I haven't disabled the C-states and have still full performance I must say

for overclocking the base clock of the cpu you have to make a small modification in the ME-firmware before installing, I read this somewhere here in the forum

I wanted to try this, but stopped it before messing up my laptop... beside this the CPU is bottlenecked by the 660m

... and with all the BIOS-tweaks and throttlestop you can get the maximum power out of your i7!

I was planning on eventually getting 3720qm because I know those you can oc because it's not locked. When I went to Windows 8, I noticed a significant performance decrease and all sorts of problems. Everytime my vram would go over ~1 gb, it'd downclock to 405, but I think the vbios had something to do with it. But I can say for sure that it happened less frequently since I came to Windows 7, my nv inspector and nvcp settings were the same. But I think the main issue was there was something wrong with the windows 8 iso file I had and was corrupted because whenever I'd install windows, chipset or hd 4000 drivers it would always hang for like 5 min at dfxapi.dll (i think that's what it was).

About throttlestop, that's strange because the only things I can change in the TPL options are the power limits, enable/disable limit, and clamping limit. Everything else is grey and locked out. In BIOS, all you did was disable the "lock turbo settings" and change 28 to 56 right ? And about the ME firmware, I wasn't really paying attention if it gave me a perf boost because this was when I was doing a fresh windows install and was just trying to get it up and ready asap. I don't think it gave me any huge benefit, but it wouldn't hurt to flash it (i think). && Is there an ASIC Quality type of thing for CPUs?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was planning on eventually getting 3720qm because I know those you can oc because it's not locked. When I went to Windows 8, I noticed a significant performance decrease and all sorts of problems. Everytime my vram would go over ~1 gb, it'd downclock to 405, but I think the vbios had something to do with it. But I can say for sure that it happened less frequently since I came to Windows 7, my nv inspector and nvcp settings were the same. But I think the main issue was there was something wrong with the windows 8 iso file I had and was corrupted because whenever I'd install windows, chipset or hd 4000 drivers it would always hang for like 5 min at dfxapi.dll (i think that's what it was).

About throttlestop, that's strange because the only things I can change in the TPL options are the power limits, enable/disable limit, and clamping limit. Everything else is grey and locked out. In BIOS, all you did was disable the "lock turbo settings" and change 28 to 56 right ? And about the ME firmware, I wasn't really paying attention if it gave me a perf boost because this was when I was doing a fresh windows install and was just trying to get it up and ready asap. I don't think it gave me any huge benefit, but it wouldn't hurt to flash it (i think). && Is there an ASIC Quality type of thing for CPUs?

I think the performance of the 3610QM / 3630QM will last for the next three years :)

Let's hope that games in the future are more CPU- than GPU-intensive

...Ok i will stay with windows 7 :D

hm.. Yes that are all settings that I changed in the BIOS for the CPU... Are you using throttlestop 6.00?

If not, google it and try it

couldn't find anything about ASIC quality of CPUs... Would be interesting to know

I think the performance of the 3610QM / 3630QM will last for the next three years :)

Let's hope that games in the future are more CPU- than GPU-intensive

...Ok i will stay with windows 7 :D

hm.. Yes that are all settings that I changed in the BIOS for the CPU... Are you using throttlestop 6.00?

If not, google it and try it

couldn't find anything about ASIC quality of CPUs... Would be interesting to know

No, I was using the one from this site which is v5.00 and it said it was the final version so I thought there weren't gonna be anymore lol. Just "installed" the beta v7.00, so let's see if this makes a difference!

unbelievable .-) i repasted gpu + cpu and my temps droped from 89 to 64 celsius .^)

Just wanted to ask, what kind of battery life are you guys getting on this machine? Running just SSDs, I am seeing 8hrs. Which is pretty crazy for such a big laptop. Currently flying from Korea to the US and will see under load watching movies, etc, how long this thing is going to last. But Windows 8 is reporting almost 8.5hrs at the moment, and I have used it for the past half hour....is this what other people are getting as well?

Oh-K. This is really starting to get annoying, after searching all day, finally was able to flash the bios, and none of the changes are visible in the bios, or clock of the gpu changed? What in the #$@&*@!@$!#~%@##@!@&&!!@@#~!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would that happen? It erases the ROM, writes the ROM and no changes take place???!!!!

Perhaps giving some more details might help you getting an appropriate solution:

1. Is your stock 2.x or 8.x
  2. Which BIOS did you flash

My guess as to what happened is you flashed the same bios as you were already running or flashed the "official" update (i think you get prompted if you flash the same version ).

EDIT: Just saw your previous posts,

svl7 - i have been working to flash this bios all day, and tried as many options as I can come across, and the latest has been trying to get the prr utility to try and flash in dos however I the site says I dont have the correct permissions to download the file.

Is there not a way to make a file that does not check the version when it updates? This all seems like a bit much for such a trivial issue.

Yes, the method is the same for both situations when you flash stock bios over unlocked and unlocked over unlocked. Whenever it gives you that "current bios is newer version etc" you just edit the platform.ini. After reading your posts and seeing your confusion, maybe you accidentally deleted something in the bios. If you're flashing the 2.x version, try flashing it via DOS. If you don't know how to do that, it's in the OP, "instructions for 8.0x." You don't have to do the bios fix just get the files on your usb to boot into dos and run the commands.

unbelievable .-) i repasted gpu + cpu and my temps droped from 89 to 64 celsius .^)

Nice yo, temps are always coolest right after you repaste then tends to get slightly hotter. What paste and method did you use for pasting?

Nice yo, temps are always coolest right after you repaste then tends to get slightly hotter. What paste and method did you use for pasting?

I used Arctic MX 2 , dunno what method i used :P i simply followed schranzmaster topic repasting y580 but i used less paste :P

I cannot believe it is so cold now xD y580 is da bomb i did not even turn it of for many weeks and it was still mining bitcoin with 89-91°C

I used Arctic MX 2 , dunno what method i used :P i simply followed schranzmaster topic repasting y580 but i used less paste :P

I cannot believe it is so cold now xD y580 is da bomb i did not even turn it of for many weeks and it was still mining bitcoin with 89-91°C

if you're gonna use it primarily as a bitcoin miner or desktop replacement, you may want to try doing that desktop case mod i was talking about. im actually going to do this in a couple weeks along with adding an eGPU. BTW, what BIOS are you using and are you using stock voltage &&& how much Hash/s do you get on y580?

Updated: I found out why my physics score in my benchmarks were slightly lacking. I had my TDP set too high in throttlestop. I'd sometimes have 70W - 85W for short power limit and 60-75 for the long limit. I lowered it to 60W / 60W and this mixed results (sometimes better sometimes worse). I'm now using 56W/65W with clamp selected and this gives me 7700+ :D So I guess, in the end, the issue was not enough Watts to go around.

Here's an example one.

i have problem too. flash bios with 8.01 v. all works fine but (my mistake) i change vga settings and now my screen blank. try recovery with QIWY3/QIWY4 combinations, and no effect. Try backup rom file and orginal from Lenovo. Usb stick only blink. If use name QIWY3.bi,QIWY3.bin,QIWY3.rom blink long other case blink short.

check right filename with phoenixtool and on my backup file show me 'QIWY3.bi?' . When i check on mod rom what im flashed phoenixtool dont show any name ...

some one have any idea how rescue my y580?

Okay, so I thought I'd give windows 8 another try, but without much success... After doing a upgrade to Windows 8 coming from Windows 7, and then eventually installing Windows 8.1 after a million "updates." Making sure to restart when I needed to, etc etc. My first 3DMARK11 score came out to be 3718 which honestly wouldn't have been bad because that typically just means it was having an off run or some program decided to steal some resources but take a look at the physics score... 7130 which is same as my last windows 8.1 install. Does anyone have any idea why Windows 8 takes a dump on 3610qm / physics score? Could it be that my bios is not 8.0x? I'd really like to get this fixed and not go through any more time consuming windows installs.

I'll update this post with more benchmarks when I get around to it