Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Finally got my BIOS Unlocked, set up some batch files for quick changes on the clocks of my GPU, now I'm trying to figure out how to use the BIOS to overclock my CPU, does anyone know if it's possible with the unlocked BIOS, I'm using a Y580 with a I7-3630QM/GTX 660M.

Thanks

I've seen some threads with people saying the base clock is adjustable with all other settings locked for the 3610QM && 3630QM but I've been unable to unlock the base clock control in intel XTU with a various combination of BIOS settings. 3720QM + allow "proper" overclocking.

Hi i have a question i have flashed my orginal y580 bios 2.07 to the (QIWY3090) 8.0 beta. Can i downgrade this bios to the old one wit the official lenovo bios update from the site. Or its safer to update my bios to the unlocked 8.01 bios from this site ???

Hi i have a question i have flashed my orginal y580 bios 2.07 to the (QIWY3090) 8.0 beta. Can i downgrade this bios to the old one wit the official lenovo bios update from the site. Or its safer to update my bios to the unlocked 8.01 bios from this site ???

I bricked my laptop trying to do something similar. I may or may not have done something wrong, but thought I'd share.

I just wanted to post this. First off thanks to svl7 for all his work!

I soft bricked my Y480 yesterday by disabling the Integrated Graphics Adapter thinking I could force the 650m to be the only graphics adapter- with sucky results (loss of video output). I combed this thread and tried the Fn + B method.

I used a cheap 2GB flash drive, formatted it to FAT (not FAT32, nor exFAT) then copied the 207.rom file and renamed it to QIWY3.BIN all caps. The battery was removed from the laptop and the AC power was not plugged in yet. I inserted the USB drive, the plugged in the AC power. I held the Fn key + the B key. Then i tapped the power button, but kept holding the Fn + B key. The fan spun up at high speed and I waited for a couple of seconds and then let off. The LED on the USB drive flashed a bit then stopped. After a bit, the laptop started to beep every second for like a minute or two. Then it stopped and and my laptop rebooted, the screen came up and showed the BIOS screen. The whole process from Power button press to BIOS screen took around 5 minutes.

Hopefully this helps someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got a chance to try this bios, flashed great, everything went smooth! Rebooted afterwards, and was able to use the pc for about 30 minutes... shut down afterwards and the next time I powered on it was dead :(

Does anyone know the BIOS ID for the i7-3630QM version of the Y580 so i can attempt to recovery the bios? I found this:

http://edmarhobby.blogspot.com/2013/02/lenovo-ideapad-y580-insyde-bios-reset.html

but it seems to only work on the v2.X bios.. Either way I haven't tried yet, so I'll try renaming the backup I took before flashing the modded bios and let you all know how it went.

Finally got a chance to try this bios, flashed great, everything went smooth! Rebooted afterwards, and was able to use the pc for about 30 minutes... shut down afterwards and the next time I powered on it was dead :(

Does anyone know the BIOS ID for the i7-3630QM version of the Y580 so i can attempt to recovery the bios? I found this:

Edmar Hobby - Electronic: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Insyde Bios Reset/Recovery

but it seems to only work on the v2.X bios.. Either way I haven't tried yet, so I'll try renaming the backup I took before flashing the modded bios and let you all know how it went.

IIRC, the bios backup you create before flashing is only for windows licensing for the bios fix. I posted a BIOS recovery guide a couple pages ago, use the search button.

IIRC, the bios backup you create before flashing is only for windows licensing for the bios fix. I posted a BIOS recovery guide a couple pages ago, use the search button.

Thanks for the info. I checked your post, but it was basically the same information as in the link above. I've created multiple filenames and stuck them on a USB and will give it a shot later with the modded bios and the backup bios. Will report back with the results later tonight.

UPDATE:

FN+B starts the fan spinning, and the USB is accessed... once. no beep..

i tried the following as filenames:

QIWY.bin/rom/fd

QIWY3.bin/rom/fd

QIWY4.bin/rom/fd

QIWY5.bin/rom/fd

QIWY6.bin/rom/fd

QIWY4800.bin/rom/fd

I tried both FAT and FAT32 on a 4GB USB.

none of which work... :( Does anyone have an idea as to what the filename may be?

Thanks for the info. I checked your post, but it was basically the same information as in the link above. I've created multiple filenames and stuck them on a USB and will give it a shot later with the modded bios and the backup bios. Will report back with the results later tonight.

UPDATE:

FN+B starts the fan spinning, and the USB is accessed... once. no beep..

i tried the following as filenames:

QIWY.bin/rom/fd

QIWY3.bin/rom/fd

QIWY4.bin/rom/fd

QIWY5.bin/rom/fd

QIWY6.bin/rom/fd

QIWY4800.bin/rom/fd

I tried both FAT and FAT32 on a 4GB USB.

none of which work... :( Does anyone have an idea as to what the filename may be?

Here are a couple things not included in the link to try,

1. Make sure you're using the 100% default stock BIOS from lenovo's site (if your stock bios was 2.07) and that nothing interferes with your internet connection while you download it to avoid corruption.
  2. Use a NON-3.0 USB, e.g. do not use a USB port which is blue and/or USB 3.0. For most, if not all, these will be the ports on the right side.
  3. I think this part was obvious but just to cover all bases, the file you download from lenovo's site must be extracted using winrar 7zip etc, and then the file with a .rom/.bin file extension is the one you want. Place it in the ROOT directory (ex: <insert drive="" letter="">:\QIWY3.rom\) then copy paste with different names etc etc.</insert>
  4. Before doing all this, go ahead and disassemble your laptop up until the point where the CMOS battery is exposed (this can be done without unscrewing the warranty sticker). Gently lift the battery until there is no contact made between battery and mobo. Wait 1 minute (i've heard some say anywhere from 1 second to 5 seconds to hours, IME 1 min has worked). Put the battery back, and your laptop back together then proceed as normal.

gl

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help and info.

I did do 1-3, but hadn't tried resetting the cmos, so I went ahead and took a shot and... poof it completely died. I'm not getting power at all now :(

Just to make it clear though I'm not blaming anyone and I do take responsibility for this trouble. Just wanted to put that out there to avoid sounding like a douche ;)

What did I learn? Stop touching things LOL

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help and info.

I did do 1-3, but hadn't tried resetting the cmos, so I went ahead and took a shot and... poof it completely died. I'm not getting power at all now :(

Just to make it clear though I'm not blaming anyone and I do take responsibility for this trouble. Just wanted to put that out there to avoid sounding like a douche ;)

What did I learn? Stop touching things LOL

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

...... okay,,, seems like you made a mistake somewhere. Did you make sure the cmos was reconnected and making contact with the mobo? This happened to me before, although I was doing a re-pasting and dusting, where the laptop would not turn on. When I took it apart to find what was wrong, it turns out I missed a tiny ribbon cable for the bluetooth card (I think that's what it is, it lies near the right corner near the audio jack). So, apparently the bluetooth card has something to do with the power? IDK.

In your case, since IIRC to reset CMOS you only have to go to the part of removing the keyboard and the top frame, you might have missed the ribbon cable for your keyboard (there are two). Also, there is a ribbon when you remove the top plate. And finally you have the three connections (wires) on the bottom. I would think your issue is one of these, but since I don't know your ESD conditions and precautions, I can't say for sure.

svl7, thanks for the BIOS mods. I have successfully updated my y580 v8.00 original to v8.00 modded with no issues at all.

Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

Seems like those with bricking issues didn't read the instructions properly.

Also - Windows 8 SecureBoot continued to work fine after the update to the modded BIOS.

...... okay,,, seems like you made a mistake somewhere. Did you make sure the cmos was reconnected and making contact with the mobo? This happened to me before, although I was doing a re-pasting and dusting, where the laptop would not turn on. When I took it apart to find what was wrong, it turns out I missed a tiny ribbon cable for the bluetooth card (I think that's what it is, it lies near the right corner near the audio jack). So, apparently the bluetooth card has something to do with the power? IDK.

In your case, since IIRC to reset CMOS you only have to go to the part of removing the keyboard and the top frame, you might have missed the ribbon cable for your keyboard (there are two). Also, there is a ribbon when you remove the top plate. And finally you have the three connections (wires) on the bottom. I would think your issue is one of these, but since I don't know your ESD conditions and precautions, I can't say for sure.

I'll check the ribbon cables later today. I thought I put them all back but it was a pain to get them in so I may not have put it all the way in. Thanks for the hint.

going along with the previous logic concerning naming, since my board is QIWY4, the flash-able bin should be QIWY4.BIN, correct? Also, since my original is v8.00 I think my only option would be to flash the backup or the modded firmware.. wouldn't flashing the one available on lenovo's site (v2.07) just brick it again?

svl7, thanks for the BIOS mods. I have successfully updated my y580 v8.00 original to v8.00 modded with no issues at all.

Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

Seems like those with bricking issues didn't read the instructions properly.

Just to clarify, the issue is flashing v8.01 after flashing v8.00. I don't know about others but I was thinking it would update to the newer BIOS version. Reboot went fine, and flash was successful but it bricked some time after that. Those reading this, don't do it!

UPDATE!

Came back from work and went straight at it! Opened up the laptop and sure enough, there are actually 4 ribbon cables: keyboard, something next to the keyboard, trackpad and power button. I had forgotten the one for the power button:cry_002:

So, the laptop is powering on again now, but I'm still not getting the recovery flash to start.... I went ahead and tried resetting the CMOS again while I had it open so I think we can rule that out. So I think we are back to the filenames. Somehow the filename for this BIOS must be different as I'm not seeming to be able to get it right! @svl7, do you have any ideas as to what time filname may be, or maybe a copy of the original v8 bios?

I went ahead and posted on the lenovo forums as well, if anyone is having a similar problem they're welcome to follow here:

Y580 QIWY4 v8.00 bios recovery filename - Lenovo Community

Maybe there will be a resolution. If i can't come to a resolution some time in the next week or so, I may just have the bios chip replaced though.

I'll check the ribbon cables later today. I thought I put them all back but it was a pain to get them in so I may not have put it all the way in. Thanks for the hint.

going along with the previous logic concerning naming, since my board is QIWY4, the flash-able bin should be QIWY4.BIN, correct? Also, since my original is v8.00 I think my only option would be to flash the backup or the modded firmware.. wouldn't flashing the one available on lenovo's site (v2.07) just brick it again?

Just to clarify, the issue is flashing v8.01 after flashing v8.00. I don't know about others but I was thinking it would update to the newer BIOS version. Reboot went fine, and flash was successful but it bricked some time after that. Those reading this, don't do it!

UPDATE!

Came back from work and went straight at it! Opened up the laptop and sure enough, there are actually 4 ribbon cables: keyboard, something next to the keyboard, trackpad and power button. I had forgotten the one for the power button:cry_002:

So, the laptop is powering on again now, but I'm still not getting the recovery flash to start.... I went ahead and tried resetting the CMOS again while I had it open so I think we can rule that out. So I think we are back to the filenames. Somehow the filename for this BIOS must be different as I'm not seeming to be able to get it right! @svl7, do you have any ideas as to what time filname may be, or maybe a copy of the original v8 bios?

If i were you, I'd just RMA it. My warranty sticker was torn and they still replaced the mobo.

If i were you, I'd just RMA it. My warranty sticker was torn and they still replaced the mobo.

Yeah I wish I could. My warranty expired in October though and they don't want to let me purchase the post warranty so I guess I'll try for out of warranty support and see how much a mobo replace is. Thanks for the help though.

Yeah I wish I could. My warranty expired in October though and they don't want to let me purchase the post warranty so I guess I'll try for out of warranty support and see how much a mobo replace is. Thanks for the help though.

I remember seeing it go for about 170-200 on aliexpress/ebay

you need ''kepler bios tweaker''... but with that tool you only can change the memory speed in the vBIOS... the rest doesn't work on mobile Kepler... so you have to mod the rest on the old school way, with a hex-editor... difficult thing

what do you want to mod on your vBIOS?

When you say that the rest of the stuff doesn't work with Kepler BIOS editor for mobile GPUs, did you mean that you'd be unable to make the actual changes in Kepler BIOS modder because they are unavailable to change (greyed out),

OR

did you mean that you can make the actual changes on there but they won't stick/potentially brick your laptop?

The reason I ask this is because I'm using Kepler BIOS tweaker, and IIRC, I wasn't able to change much of anything when I used an older version of this tool. I became interested in this to try again, and when I opened "D2333ED3-4EA4-46CD-9DB2-41EEB6E8E158" in the kepler tool, the voltage section was not greyed out and tweakable. Am I mistaken or will changing this, re-attaching it to main bios, and then flashing it brick my laptop?

When you say that the rest of the stuff doesn't work with Kepler BIOS editor for mobile GPUs, did you mean that you'd be unable to make the actual changes in Kepler BIOS modder because they are unavailable to change (greyed out),

OR

did you mean that you can make the actual changes on there but they won't stick/potentially brick your laptop?

The reason I ask this is because I'm using Kepler BIOS tweaker, and IIRC, I wasn't able to change much of anything when I used an older version of this tool. I became interested in this to try again, and when I opened "D2333ED3-4EA4-46CD-9DB2-41EEB6E8E158" in the kepler tool, the voltage section was not greyed out and tweakable. Am I mistaken or will changing this, re-attaching it to main bios, and then flashing it brick my laptop?

No , It Wont Change Even If U Changed It Using Kepler It Wont Be Applied Dont Worry , As @schranzmaster Said You Must Mod It Using Old School .

• Thumbs Up 1

What does this option in the unlocked bios change?

Item..................................Option........................................................Description

Board Capability..............SUS_PWR_DN_ACK or DeepSx.................Board Capability –SUS_PWR_DN_ACK -> Send Disabled to PCH.DeepSx -> Show DeepSx Policies

What does this option in the unlocked bios change?

Item..................................Option........................................................Description

Board Capability..............SUS_PWR_DN_ACK or DeepSx.................Board Capability –SUS_PWR_DN_ACK -> Send Disabled to PCH.DeepSx -> Show DeepSx Policies

"Used by Intel® ME as either SUSWARN# in Deep Sx state

supported platforms or as SUSPWRDNACK in non Deep

Sx state supported platforms"

Deep SX State: Not 100% sure but has something to do with the ACPI