Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

svl7 i'm getting an issue with the the procedure.the win64 intel tool, won't back up anything. the cmd console just stays there and won't back up anything after executing the backup.bat. the DOS version tells me it's not compatible with my version on windows (win 8 64 bit). not sure what to do now to back up my bios with this computer.

Update:

Backup worked in dos.

The flash tool in DOS won't let me select options.as soon as I input fpt.exe it tells me press any key to continue and I can't input any commands. After pressing any button twice it tells me error 200: invalid parameter value specified by user. Any help?

UPDATE:

the flashed work when i changed the fixed file extension from ROM to BIN.

the unlocked bios is great, stock speeds is at 1000mhz and my laptop runs cooler now... hardly goes above 80... fantastic! thank you SLV7!!

I mentioned it over and over again, only flash a mod of the same bios version as your stock version.

Can you put it in big red letters on your OP? Hopefully others won't wind up like me.

So, then, what can be done about my computer? I'll try anything.

But The insydeflash tool won't let me flash the 2.07 version saying that it is not newer than my current bios. How can I solve it then?

edit: Inside of the folder there is a file called "QIWY3207.ROM" is it the bios? If so, can I use the v.8.01 procedure to flash this file from dos?

Well, followed the instructions exactly for the 8.01 BIOS, but ran into an issue where my USB drive isn't being detected as bootable, running windows 8.1 and cannot access the BIOS due to forgetting the password, and not sure if theres any way to reset it as I haven't found much info on pulling the CMOS battery

Well, followed the instructions exactly for the 8.01 BIOS, but ran into an issue where my USB drive isn't being detected as bootable, running windows 8.1 and cannot access the BIOS due to forgetting the password, and not sure if theres any way to reset it as I haven't found much info on pulling the CMOS battery

there should be a way to 'short' the connection to the CMOS battery and cause the bios to reset. done it to a few toshibas' in the past. As for making the usb drive bootable, as long as you downloaded the DOS files (win98) and the hp formatting tool it will be bootable. for me i had to put my computer into legacy mode to properly boot from it. So after you reset the bios change from UEFI to legacy and press F12 when the bios first boots up to enter the boot manager. AND VOILA

i forgot to mention, only when i was in legacy mode was i able to boot from the usb. it was not showing usb bootable in UEFI mode.

there should be a way to 'short' the connection to the CMOS battery and cause the bios to reset. done it to a few toshibas' in the past. As for making the usb drive bootable, as long as you downloaded the DOS files (win98) and the hp formatting tool it will be bootable. for me i had to put my computer into legacy mode to properly boot from it. So after you reset the bios change from UEFI to legacy and press F12 when the bios first boots up to enter the boot manager. AND VOILA

i forgot to mention, only when i was in legacy mode was i able to boot from the usb. it was not showing usb bootable in UEFI mode.

alright, thanks, I was worried about shorting the CMOS battery since its non removable, I'm thinking a 10ohm resistor should stop anything from being damaged, and I think I can borrow one from a roommate

Tried it, no luck, just used a breadboarding wire I had lying around, shorted the CMOS, and then held the power button, without battery or being pluged in, nothing

So, is there any chance to flash the 2.07 bios using the method for 8.01 (As I mentioned I can't do it from windows since flashing utility says the rom is not newer than the current one)? Do I need to change anything in the procedure? svl7 please answer me :)

I've been running the 8.01 hacked bios for over 6 months now. For the first couple of months, everything was fine. Then I started having booting issues once a month, then once every two weeks, until now when I'm experiencing issues all the time.

My issue is that the bios loses the ability to find my UEFI bootable ssd with Ubuntu 13.04 and Win 7 partitions (downgraded from Win 8 when purchased). Although, it finds the UEFI non-bootable 1TB hdd and the blue-ray drive almost always. I've narrowed down the problem to when the laptop loses power when either OS is not shut down properly or when the battery dies when either OS is hibernating/sleeping. The laptop loses all power sometimes, because of the second issue I'm facing where the laptop detects the battery but doesn't charge it in either OS. So therefore, if the battery doesn't charge, I close the lid to sleep Win/Ubuntu or hibernate Win and/or unplug the cord, my laptop loses all power, and the bios loses the ability to discover the ssd when I try to reboot next. I disabled my swap partition in Ubuntu to free up space on my ssd, so I can't hibernate the OS.

I can get the laptop to work, but that takes 10-40 mins (sometimes a day) of constantly rebooting the laptop, draining the CMOS battery, loading optimized defaults, loading either Win 8 defaults or other OS defaults, and turning off the PXE boot thing if default settings are selected. The few times the screen has gone blank, I've been able to do some version of the trick where the battery is pulled out, plug removed, pressing the power button for some time (sometimes holding the Fn button too), reconnecting the power cord without the batter, and rebooting while holding down some key combination I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Why am I having trouble with the bios discovering my ssd if it loses power without a proper shut down, why is my batterhy randomly and often not charging even though it's detected in both OS, and how do I fix this? Yes, AHCI is enabled.

Thank you very much!

Mike

From my experience with computers and laptops especially I can tell you that it is to me almost 95% sure that your motherboard or bios (chip, not software inside) is damaged and you should (if possible) submit a warranty claim. I have a problem with battery as it will only charge if I plug the cord when laptop is off and battery out and placed back after computer is powered on without battery; but this happened due to using the reset battery meter option in lenovo power manager which results in damaging the motherboard. My guess is that your issues are caused by something similar.

My Y580 was with the factory bios version of V2.0x and I updated to Syl7's V2.07 GPU Overlocked and no whitelist at first time while it was released.

Then I saw a version of 5DCN87WW on another Chinese Forum and flashed it smoothly,but this version is not a unlocked nor whitelist removed version.So I wanted to swith back to the V2.07 mod version.It went well during the downgrade to V2.07.However the MC version is missing and there is only the EC version V2.07 after the flashing.

Then I just tried to only flash the MC to V8.01 using the 4.5M's file version,it works again.Now the MC is V8.01(Locked) and EC V2.07.

The last step is to flash the V8.01 to unlocked version following Syl7's procedure.Succeeded again.

So I just want to share with you the sequence about how I finish this unexpected job by accident.

V2.07(Origin)--->V2.07(Mod)--->5DCN87WW(Beta version)--->V2.07(Mod)--->V8.01(Origin)+V2.07(Origin)--->V8.01(Mod)+V2.07(Origin)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9399[/ATTACH]

What do you mean when you say you flash from 2.07 (Mod) to 8.01 (Origin) + 2.07 (Origin)? How do you flash 2 bios at the same time o.O

Also, what's the difference between 5DCN87WW(Beta version), V8.01 (Origin), and V8.01 (Mod)? and where can I download the v8.01 (Origin)?

I am considering on buying the Intel 7260 Wi-Fi adapter to upgrade my Y580. For those who have already installed the modded BIOS and have the Intel card installed, what kind of improvements or quirks were observed?

I know I don't have the 5 posts to download the BIOS yet, but I want to see if it is worth the hassle before I fully commit to it.

Which Y580s came with the 5DCN89WW (v8.00) bios and which came with the 5DCN89WW (v8.01) bios? I think my problem might have to do with that. Can anyone figure out which bios mine came with (P/N is 59359510)? I can't remember what bios mine came with, because I don't know where the backup went, and I flashed it back in March.

I've read in other paces people having the same issues with Crucial mSATAs with similarly equipped Y580s, so I'm thinking it may not be a faulty hardware issues. At least I hope not!

Thanks!

Which Y580s came with the 5DCN89WW (v8.00) bios and which came with the 5DCN89WW (v8.01) bios? I think my problem might have to do with that. Can anyone figure out which bios mine came with (P/N is 59359510)? I can't remember what bios mine came with, because I don't know where the backup went, and I flashed it back in March.

I've read in other paces people having the same issues with Crucial mSATAs with similarly equipped Y580s, so I'm thinking it may not be a faulty hardware issues. At least I hope not!

Thanks!

I've read nearly this whole thread (hopefully retained it all), and I think the ones which came with windows 8 preinstalled have v8.00 OEM BIOS and ones with windows 8.1 have v8.01 OEM BIOS. I may wrong but that's what'd be logical and I think I read that somewhere. But then again, this is from Lenovo, so not a lot of things may seem logical, that's just my two cents.

What do you mean when you say you flash from 2.07 (Mod) to 8.01 (Origin) + 2.07 (Origin)? How do you flash 2 bios at the same time o.O

Also, what's the difference between 5DCN87WW(Beta version), V8.01 (Origin), and V8.01 (Mod)? and where can I download the v8.01 (Origin)?

Hi,

The Bios contains two parts: Origin Bios and EC Bios, Once you want to flash the bios,you have to flash both of them.

But my problem is that after flashing the beta version, it turns into a locked and whitelist version, then I tried to flash back to V2.07(Mod),but the Bios version is missing after the flashing,I can only see the EC version is V.207.

So I'd just flashed the orign V8.01(4.5MB) then flashed slv7's unlocked version (Also 4.5MB).

I am considering on buying the Intel 7260 Wi-Fi adapter to upgrade my Y580. For those who have already installed the modded BIOS and have the Intel card installed, what kind of improvements or quirks were observed?

I know I don't have the 5 posts to download the BIOS yet, but I want to see if it is worth the hassle before I fully commit to it.

I've already changed my WIFI card from intel N2200 to Ultimate 6300AGN then to 7260AC and now I am using the 7260AC in my Y580.

I can have the 450M bandwidth while using the 6300 AGN in the three 3x3 mode but it will be only 300M while using 7260AC because there is only the 2x2 mode for this card no matter how in 802.11A/N/AC.

So my point is:

It is necessary to install the 7260AC only if you have the 802.11AC router as you will have up to 876M bandwidth.

But if you only have the 802.11N or A router, maybe 6300AGN is a good choice because the only advantage I see 7260AC under A/N mode is lower-power consumption and lower temperature.

Thanks.

Hi,

The Bios contains two parts: Origin Bios and EC Bios, Once you want to flash the bios,you have to flash both of them.

But my problem is that after flashing the beta version, it turns into a locked and whitelist version, then I tried to flash back to V2.07(Mod),but the Bios version is missing after the flashing,I can only see the EC version is V.207.

So I'd just flashed the orign V8.01(4.5MB) then flashed slv7's unlocked version (Also 4.5MB).

But where can I get the v8.01 original?

I just recently tried to flash slv's v8.00 modded bios over the 2.07 modded bios..... That didn't work out so well and semi bricked my laptop, so I managed to recover to the official 2.07 (on Lenovo site), then flashed the 2.07 again (back to square one).

And THEN, literally less than 2 hrs ago, I flashed the 5DCN87WW (Beta) and had some trouble booting into the OS (Windows 8.1) so after trying to fn+r recover with 2.07 (tried both original and slv's) and failing, I managed to boot into windows after trying different combinations for the settings (change UEFI to legacy).

So, my questions is what files did you flash and what did you do in order to flash them (e.g. how do I flash v8.01 original and where do I get it from)? Please try to explain it to me like I'm 5 (if you're willing to help :P )

EDIT: Wait a second.. is the v8.01 (orig) the attachment in the first post, and then the v8.01 (mod) is the "v801Fix" ? I think I'm wrong but thought I'd give it a shot.

But where can I get the v8.01 original?

I just recently tried to flash slv's v8.00 modded bios over the 2.07 modded bios..... That didn't work out so well and semi bricked my laptop, so I managed to recover to the official 2.07 (on Lenovo site), then flashed the 2.07 again (back to square one).

And THEN, literally less than 2 hrs ago, I flashed the 5DCN87WW (Beta) and had some trouble booting into the OS (Windows 8.1) so after trying to fn+r recover with 2.07 (tried both original and slv's) and failing, I managed to boot into windows after trying different combinations for the settings (change UEFI to legacy).

So, my questions is what files did you flash and what did you do in order to flash them (e.g. how do I flash v8.01 original and where do I get it from)? Please try to explain it to me like I'm 5 (if you're willing to help :P )

EDIT: Wait a second.. is the v8.01 (orig) the attachment in the first post, and then the v8.01 (mod) is the "v801Fix" ? I think I'm wrong but thought I'd give it a shot.

Yes,the v8.01 is from the first post of this topic and the V8.01 original is from someone who uploaded to the google drive long time ago(maybe half a year? I don't remember),So you can flash the 4.5MB V8.01 original first,(Your bios version will turn into V8.01 and EC version still V2.07),then you can just follow slv7's instruction in the first post to finish the rest of the parts.

BTW;All of the flashing I mention should be done in the DOS,Please be aware of that.

Yes,the v8.01 is from the first post of this topic and the V8.01 original is from someone who uploaded to the google drive long time ago(maybe half a year? I don't remember),So you can flash the 4.5MB V8.01 original first,(Your bios version will turn into V8.01 and EC version still V2.07),then you can just follow slv7's instruction in the first post to finish the rest of the parts.

BTW;All of the flashing I mention should be done in the DOS,Please be aware of that.

Do you have a link to the original 8.01, or would you be willing to upload it? If not, I'll just google it some more.

Also, by flashing via DOS, I'm assuming you mean the fpt.exe (as described in slv's 8.0x bios mod instructions)?

EDIT2: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/20223-Remove-whitelist-check-add-ID-s-to-break-hardware-restrictions-mod-requests?p=713108&viewfull=1#post713108

Bios Version: 5DCN90WW(V8.01)

BIOS Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88257820/QIWY3207.ROM DOES NOT CONTAIN EC

This is what I need and was looking for right?