Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I wanted to confirm that upgrading from v2.07 to the beta build posted in #859 works. It eliminates the 'SecureBoot isn't configured properly' watermark in Windows 8.1.

The only other minor issue is that in BIOS, the Windows License is invalid. Not sure how to rectify this issue.

I don't know, I asked the same question because there were many people in this thread who had problems after installing the unlocked bios ver 8.xx. I think it could be safe to install the unlocked bios ver 8.00 not 8.01. Can someone confirm that?

The solution is few posts back: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions.html#post69650

I wanted to confirm that this does remove the SecureBoot watermark from Windows 8.1. I upgraded from v2.07 to the beta BIOS.

The only other issue is that in the BIOS, it says that the Windows license is invalid.

Maybe would be better to first update to Lenovo 8.00 official, if there is one.

If there were the official one, we wouldn't install the leaked beta :D

I can't download this file, can someone please re-upload (or give me a explanation why I can't download this file)?

You should be able to download it now as you have 7 posts.

I don't know, it's damn stupid of Lenovo not to provide any bios updates, really. Seeing how many different bios versions there are for the Y580/480 Y500/400, Y510p/410p etc. without any of it being provided to the customers is a reason for me not to recommend any Lenovo laptops.

You can use the leaked v8.0 beta bios, secure boot should work there. (See attachment).

It's signed, else it won't flash or work, so nothing to worry about.

@svl7: would you be able to make a whitelist mod with this?

Thanks!

Just realized this, the v8.00 mod zip is with .bin while the v8.01 mod zip is with .rom

So when flashing v8.01 mod, the filename.bin change to v801Fix.rom or rename the .rom to .bin before doing the Fix?

EDIT: I've just rename the v801Fix.rom to .bin and it flashed without any problem.

Before flash the GTX 660M GPU clock is 835MHz and now is 1000MHz, so can say the flash is successful. =D

I can't flash the modded 2.07 BIOS, th InsydeFlash utility says: The version of the rom file isn't newer than version of bios.

According to wndow's System Information i have BOs version 5DCN40W(V2.07)

I have a Y580 wich was shipped with Windows 7, i upgraded it to W8 with clean install, and updated to W8.1.

I want two things to work:

- Remove the SercureBoot watermark in Windows 8.1, so add SecureBoot option in BIOS

-Making my Intel Wireless 7260 work, so removed whitelist

Hi there.

I have a problem, I forgot supervisor password, the service wants to replace the motherboard on my y580. I just need to enable virtualization. Do you know something method to unlock password or enable virtualization without knowing the password. ??

My Y580 was with the factory bios version of V2.0x and I updated to Syl7's V2.07 GPU Overlocked and no whitelist at first time while it was released.

Then I saw a version of 5DCN87WW on another Chinese Forum and flashed it smoothly,but this version is not a unlocked nor whitelist removed version.So I wanted to swith back to the V2.07 mod version.It went well during the downgrade to V2.07.However the MC version is missing and there is only the EC version V2.07 after the flashing.

Then I just tried to only flash the MC to V8.01 using the 4.5M's file version,it works again.Now the MC is V8.01(Locked) and EC V2.07.

The last step is to flash the V8.01 to unlocked version following Syl7's procedure.Succeeded again.

So I just want to share with you the sequence about how I finish this unexpected job by accident.

V2.07(Origin)--->V2.07(Mod)--->5DCN87WW(Beta version)--->V2.07(Mod)--->V8.01(Origin)+V2.07(Origin)--->V8.01(Mod)+V2.07(Origin)

post-9958-1449499633623_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

My Y580 was with the factory bios version of V2.0x and I updated to Syl7's V2.07 GPU Overlocked and no whitelist at first time while it was released.

Then I saw a version of 5DCN87WW on another Chinese Forum and flashed it smoothly,but this version is not a unlocked nor whitelist removed version.So I wanted to swith back to the V2.07 mod version.It went well during the downgrade to V2.07.However the MC version is missing and there is only the EC version V2.07 after the flashing.

Then I just tried to only flash the MC to V8.01 using the 4.5M's file version,it works again.Now the MC is V8.01(Locked) and EC V2.07.

The last step is to flash the V8.01 to unlocked version following Syl7's procedure.Succeeded again.

So I just want to share with you the sequence about how I finish this unexpected job by accident.

V2.07(Origin)--->V2.07(Mod)--->5DCN87WW(Beta version)--->V2.07(Mod)--->V8.01(Origin)+V2.07(Origin)--->V8.01(Mod)+V2.07(Origin)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9399[/ATTACH]

so does this 8.01 bios have whitelist and secureboot?

Thank you for clarifying that nicholas0444. I am now even more eager to be able to download and use it, however I still can't access the files despite having 5 posts. Do I need to post somewhere else to get my account improved to a standard user?

Thank you for clarifying that nicholas0444. I am now even more eager to be able to download and use it, however I still can't access the files despite having 5 posts. Do I need to post somewhere else to get my account improved to a standard user?

By myself i have flashed V2.07 Original to V2.07 Mod .. for a long time.. then i have flashed V8.0 Beta (few Posts before). All works fine, then i have flashed 8.1 Mod and on first boot all where fine after a Shutdown the Laptop was bricked^^

So be carefull with 8.1

By myself i have flashed V2.07 Original to V2.07 Mod .. for a long time.. then i have flashed V8.0 Beta (few Posts before). All works fine, then i have flashed 8.1 Mod and on first boot all where fine after a Shutdown the Laptop was bricked^^

So be carefull with 8.1

Were you able to recover it and flash your previously backed up bios?

Then I saw a version of 5DCN87WW on another Chinese Forum and flashed it smoothly,but this version is not a unlocked nor whitelist removed version.So I wanted to switch back to the V2.07 mod version.It went well during the downgrade to V2.07.However the MC version is missing and there is only the EC version V2.07 after the flashing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9399[/ATTACH]

My y580 came also with v2.07, I flashed recently the modded one. I would like to follow your steps, but I don't understand well what you mean by MC version and EC version, and how you flashed component from different versions together, could you explain this a little more? I'm not asking for a dumb-proof tutorial full of photos ;) just a little bit more detailed description of the process.

Thanks a lot

My y580 came also with v2.07, I flashed recently the modded one. I would like to follow your steps, but I don't understand well what you mean by MC version and EC version, and how you flashed component from different versions together, could you explain this a little more? I'm not asking for a dumb-proof tutorial full of photos ;) just a little bit more detailed description of the process.

Thanks a lot

My Y580 was bricked ( i think) (FN+R) didn´t work. I have send it in, 4 days later i became it back with Bios 2.07

I followed the 8.0x instructions perfectly but now I have a bricked machine. Let me note my BIOS was 8.00 and I used the 8.01 mod. If the in-process upgrade is not possible it should be made explicit in the OP. I see some people with mixed results in unbricking their machines, but no actual procedure. There are at least two other members whose problems sound exactly like mine. My computer powers up but does not POST, except for the HDD, DVD drive, and LAN. The keyboard lights up but not always. Sometimes the fan spins 100%, usually after doing the Fn+B/R. When trying the BIOS recovery or CMOS clear as some have described, I see nothing onscreen, not even its backlight. Attached flash drives do not blink. It doesn't seem to respond at all. Sometimes it powers and reboots, or bootloops. Once after booting with Fn+R it beeped. I feel like I'm searching for signs of life. Where do I go from here?

Thanks a lot

Sorry for the confusion,Acctually the MC version I mentioned in my post is the Bios version.

Okay so svl7, I'm having the same problem as the people who said that when they try to back up their bios, cmd pops up and immediately disappears. However, I do have a screenshot of what it says (for me atleast)

post-18370-1449499633927_thumb.png

is there anyway to get past this?

Edit: I got an alternate back up to work... However, my usb is shown as a removeable disk but won't show up as a selection on the boot menu... Windows 8-64bit