Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I need to know exactly what you did. If the bios fix tool is used without following the instructions then it can cause issues, I guess I should fix that.

Was your original bios v8.01 or v8.00?

Great, thanks for your support @svl7, first of all.

My original BIOS was 8.0, but by now I have to admit that I am only 80% sure of that (I read so much stuff within the last 6-7 hours to fix this problem)

I followed your page 1 tutorial for 8.x BIOSes. Still have my backup made within the tutorial. I had to use the Error 104 fix while dumping the backup, and also while flashing in DOS mode.

Dump and flash went flawlessly with the fix. I then rebooted and got stuck with the black screen. I tried several approaches from this thread, but with no luck at all (blindly resetting BIOS, 30sec Power button for the CMOS reset etc.)

Hm, that's all I can think of, if you need any more information, let me know.

The problem is that flashing from v8.00 to v8.01 doesn't necessarily need to work, because v8.01 might need a different EC version, I can't tell for sure as I don't have such a system for testing.

The method in the first post only flashes the bios.

Can you send me the backup of your original bios per PM?

Hi there! I got an error 103 while trying to make a backup.

With original fpart:

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464 Copyright © 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel® HM76 Express Chipset

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

W25Q32BV ID:0xEF4016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

EN25QH16 ID:0x1C7015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.

I feel like a real fool. Can someone post screenshots of their step by step process for creating their BIOS backup? I have a Y580 8.01 WIN8 and whenever I trying to run fptw64.exe from my desktop, a command line window will open up and close in a blink of an eye. What the hell am I doing wrong????

After having the graphics card @ 1ghz for a few months, the fan grill became so brittle it fell off from the heat. The chassis started falling apart, and eventually I was plagued with heavy artifacting even after a stock bios flash.

Not sure if I had a faulty board, or if the heat will do this to every 580. I never used the computer on cloth or any materials that would cause improper ventilation.

Hello svl7,

As promised, I have just sent you some drink money :)

I finally received my Intel AC 2760 chip the other day, which I installed and loaded Intel's drivers.

I've gone from dropping my wifi connection every couple of minutes to having a stable connection!

I think I still need to work on the Bluetooth setup, but at least the wifi seems to be solid now!

I couldn't have done that without your (Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) -> unlocked, whitelist removed, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz default 3d clocks) modified BIOS!

A huge "Thank You!" to you and everyone else that has assisted you in the work you've done on these mods!

Fitz

Thx, Dude!

Allmost i have a other Question, iam still on Y580 with BIOS V2.07

If i want to patch the unlocked one, i got the message that the BIOS isnt newer than the one is installed .. any idea?

Thx!

For those who have upgraded their wireless to ac7260. just a reminder regarding the bluetooth.. If your bluetooth disconnects randomly, remember to disable power manangement.

Power Management: Device Manager -> Bluetooth -> Intel ...Bluetooth ...-> (right click -> properties) -> "Power Management" tab -> Uncheck "Allow this computer ...to save power"

Whats the diffrent between BIOS 2.07 and 8.00? I have 2.07 and Win8 64bit. It make PC slower or somethink bad like this?

Now I am confused. When I tried to use 2.07 version I can see Error:

"The version of rom file isnt newer than version of bios."

I checked, I have got 2.07 BIOS version. But I tried aslo do a copy of bios, from 8.0x tutorial I got Error:

"Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help."

So, what I should do?