Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Me too.... completely new to this and feel like it's almost a catch-22 situation.... it's bad enough Lenovo treating it's customers like they don't exist. I'm concerned that if I update from my stock 'v8.00' bios to 'v8.01 mod' it won't recognise my 256gb msata Win8 OS drive (which I managed to migrate from the 1TB 5400rpm drive using Acronis True-Image 2013, no hitches; now I use that for storage only). Thanks to SLV7 for putting the time and effort in.

I really wish I could upgrade my system to 8.01 (5DCN90WW) but there's no link available on Lenovo official website, therefore I'm stuck with 2.07 (5DCN40WW).

I previously upgraded to 0.90 (5DCN87WW) but then I realized that it was actually a beta BIOS. While there was no significant changes, I decided to revert back to 2.07 just in case.

There are lots of 8.01 BIOS available on the web, but the file does not contain an EC update, which is quite frustrating.

P.S. - Kudos to svl7, the GHz edition did give a slight performance increase during gaming (though there's also an increase in heat output).

I'm interested because I'm using Win8 with bios version 2.07.

Same Here Am Interested Am Using v2.07 Want v8.01 "I already tried and bricked my labtop and i recovered it so no worry's just give me the hint how to do it =)"

Alright, so I backed up my bios, applied the fix, did the 8.01 flash in dos... and now my laptop won't stay on for more than about 4-5 seconds. the fn+b recovery method does make the fan start going crazy as it should, but it still won't stay on for more than a few seconds. Any ideas?

I have a problem creating my backup of my bios using backup.bat, whenever I run as admin command prompt shows up for one second and disappeared, and no backup is created, im not sure what is going on but I cannot create a backup of my bios (y580 v8.01) the command prompt just shows up and disappears

edit: I was able to create a backup using Universal Bios Backup Toolkit 2.0 will the backup created work with the bios fix? or does it have to be through the provided software?

That backup will possibly brick your system, depends on whether the backup is correct or not. Not sure why the .bat isn't working for you, but you could simply type the command by hand.

That backup will possibly brick your system, depends on whether the backup is correct or not. Not sure why the .bat isn't working for you, but you could simply type the command by hand.

It worked as a alternative backup for me, the thing is I could not use the backup.bat or the ftpw64 for some reason, in ftpw64 it did not allow me to input any commands and closed itself after displaying error 100 without me even having a chance to do anything, the alternative backup software I used worked in converting the fix and I have been able to install the new bios flawlessly.

I have a problem creating my backup of my bios using backup.bat, whenever I run as admin command prompt shows up for one second and disappeared, and no backup is created, im not sure what is going on but I cannot create a backup of my bios (y580 v8.01) the command prompt just shows up and disappears

edit: I was able to create a backup using Universal Bios Backup Toolkit 2.0 will the backup created work with the bios fix? or does it have to be through the provided software?

Hey, Last I did exactly what you say not to do now. Now I have a laptop without a display. I have tried the 30 second power button with battery and AC not connected, Also tried to remove cmos battery but wasn't able to find it instide the y580 after taking it completely apart., and blind navigate through bios to reset settings. Nothing has worked. Any ideas. I'm trying to figure out how to blind flash but havent found a good link or post on it. Thanks if you could save my laptops life.

Hi all, having never flashed bios before I though't I'd check I'm doing things right first. All I'm wanting to do is remove the whitelist so I can use a different Wireless card.

So, I have a Y580 with v8.00 bios and coming preloaded with windows 8 - so I should be using the "Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod" correct? And then after that its as simple as following the instructions in the first post, any complications I should be aware of before I attempt this?

Once again, just wanting to check I'm doing everything right! Thanks.

I've run into a bit of a bad situation. I've been using this mod for quite a while, but then I've gone ahead and changed a setting that I shouldn't have. I've semi-bricked my system. It turns on, and it seems to load up the operating system, but I can't see anything on the screen. It's just black. I've attempted resetting the bios to it's defaults using the 30s power button method, but that failed. I'm now currently trying to reflash the original 8.01 bios, but I've run into a bit of a roadblock. I can get the laptop into the bios reflash mode just fine, but I have no idea what to name the bios file on the usb thumb drive. I've looked around, but I can't seem to find any information on how to reflash the original 8.01 bios. Or even the modified one, while it's in this semi-bricked state. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I have access to another computer to run programs, and transfer files.

That method does not seem to work for me. I've tried multiple times, to no avail. I'm unable to contact Lenovo support or visit a service shop. As such, I must get the USB bios restore method to work. Even just the unmodified 8.01 bios, I would be happy with.

Well, you said you can't get to "reflash mode" which I take for "being able to boot DOS".

Name your backup "bios.bin" and put it on your DOS stick along with prr.exe and fpt.exe.

Then type prr.exe, hit enter and hit enter again and then write fpt -f bios.bin -bios and wait for a while before rebooting.

What I meant by that was, I am able to start up my laptop using the Fn + B procedure. This causes the laptop to look for a specific file on the USB stick connected to the USB port to the right, closest to the power input socket. Once the correct file is found, it flashes this file to the BIOS. Anyway, I'll follow those instructions.