Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

LOL, ok... so after bricking this bad boy I just got my laptop fixed and returned back from Lenovo.

From Windows 8 X64 running DX Diagnostic tool, it says I have version

InsydeH20 Version 03.71.515DCN40WW (V2.07)

I downloaded [Y580][Y480]-'unlocked_BIOS'_660mGHzEdition_WhitelistMod, extracted it, and ran InsydeFlash.exe as admin and I receive the following error.

"The version of the rom file isn't newer than version of bios."

I hit OK and the program closes.

Now what?

Thanks for all your help thus far svl7. I'm a noob lol =)

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, forgot to change this... you'll need to modifiy the platform file, first line in the 'common flash' section -> change RESSEN to RESSDIS and try again.

nevermind, found this.

So it worked! Sweet. With the flash I did this does the 660M overclock right? Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks so much!

yes, the 660m is on 1ghz default 3d clock. the only thing you need to do, is to change the ''lenovo energy management'' to ''dynamic graphics''. then the 660m runs at 1ghz.

Hello. Won the Y580. In 3D games, over time it hangs up. Sometimes just a game sometimes the whole system. Will flashing the bios?

Could be overheating, check your temps and make sure you are not blocking the vents.

"The version of rom file isn`t newer than version of bios" I have v2.07

Originally Posted by svl7

Damn, forgot to change this... you'll need to modifiy the platform file, first line in the 'common flash' section -> change RESSEN to RESSDIS and try again.

Ah crap, I messed up the naming scheme... v8.00 is 5DCN89WW, I mistakenly labelled it as 5DCN90WW... So yes, if you have v8.00 you can safely use my (slightly mislabeled) mod (v8.00 in your case).

I have the 5DCN90WW on my laptop. Does this mean the mod you posted wont work for my laptop?

Thanks.

Can't wait to try it this weekend! Anyone can vouch for gaming performance increase with this BIOS?!

I don't have any concrete numbers for the increase, but I was able to overclock my GTX 660M to 1200MHZ core and 3600MHZ on the memory.

That's enough for a bump in graphic options for most games to run in 1080P.

Hello everyone,

I am very new to flashing/bios/overclocking limits.

I have a Lenovo Y580 Model 209942U

I have attached pictures of my current GPU and DXDIAG (it has the latest nvidia drivers). If i am correct, when I flash, I will be using my DXDIAG which shows 03.71.515DCN38WW(V.205).

I never flashed a bios before.. Can someone please show me step by step without bricking my laptop. I really want to stable MHZ on both and I have a aftermarket laptop cooler as well. I normally use EVGA or nvidia inspector with 1085mhz core and 2800 mhz memory.

Can anyone please help? :) I will be very grateful!!

post-11162-14494994488133_thumb.gif

-Peep

Read the first post.

sv17 Please kind sir help me out. I don't know much about flashing. I don't have a usb drive so I will have to get one right? When I flash i'll be flashin in the windows and not the F2 setup>

I am more then willing to buy you a round of beers if I can get this done )=.

"I have attached pictures of my current GPU and DXDIAG (it has the latest nvidia drivers). If i am correct, when I flash, I will be using my DXDIAG which shows 03.71.515DCN38WW(V.205)"

I will be using the 2.0 method not the 8.01 right?

Do u recommend me to update my bios on lenovo's website then flash with your with mod or can i direct use your 2.0 mod?

Svl7 you have no idea how happy i will be once I finally get to flash my bios with your mod.

Kindest Regards,

Brian