Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Hi Svl7, Thank you again for this awesome bios mod, I've managed to overclock my 660m to 1275/3000 after reappling the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu. (temps max out at 70*c or so now)

I was wondering if it is possible to modify the VBios for more voltage? Right now it is at about 1087-1100mV under full load, is it possible to boost it to 1150mV or 1200mV??? :Banane54:

I have a very serious problem with my wifi network. I have a router ASUS RTn66u, which gives the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously. I have no problems to connect to the router in the 5GHz band, but the 2.4 GHz band can not connect. I have at home a few other devices that use the 2.4 GHz band and I have no problems with their communications. All devices except Y580 connect seamlessly with the router on the 2.4 GHz band. I have unlocked the BIOS version from the first post version 2.06. The problem occurs both with the Intel 6200 and Intel 6300. None of these cards is able to connect to the network at 2.4 GHz. When I tried to connect to the network using 2.4 GHz intel card 2200 (original from Y580) everything was fine. I wonder if any of you have a similar problem. Earlier I do not tried to connect to the 2.4 GHz network so the problem I discovered today. I wonder if there is any chance that it is the fault of the BIOS. I would add that both 6200 and 6300 cards working fine on my second laptop (HP). I will be grateful for any feedback.

Today I tried to connect to 2,4GHz network using intel 5100 wifi card taken from HP laptop. The card isn't broken - 100% fully operational because it is working 2,4GHz and 5GHz on HP.

So there is something wrong... have no idea what.

On page 5 of this thread, somebody had the same problem you are having I think. http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions-5.html

He posted a modified BIOS. I think the link is dead but somebody re-posted it somewhere in this thread. You could give it a try and see if it solves your problem. Will try tonight my 6300 and will keep you updated if I have the same problem.

---EDIT:

At the end of this page: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/20223-Remove-whitelist-check-add-ID-s-to-break-hardware-restrictions-mod-requests/page321

Somebody posted the no-whitelist version of the Bios 2.07. The following post indicates that it looks like it is working with the 6300 (it does not say whether it worked with 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks): http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/20223-Remove-whitelist-check-add-ID-s-to-break-hardware-restrictions-mod-requests/page322

---EDIT 2:

I just installed the Intel 6300 and I am not having any problem connecting to a 2.4 Ghz. I am on the 8.01 Bios version.

• Thumbs Up 1

This has been discussed, and seeing that apparently going from bios v8.00 to v8.01 without updating the rest of the firmware causes issues, I can only recommend not doing it. We first need an official Lenovo bios update in order to actually update it. Until then it's better if you stay on your current version.

• Thumbs Up 1

On page 5 of this thread, somebody had the same problem you are having I think. http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions-5.html

He posted a modified BIOS. I think the link is dead but somebody re-posted it somewhere in this thread. You could give it a try and see if it solves your problem. Will try tonight my 6300 and will keep you updated if I have the same problem.

---EDIT:

At the end of this page: Remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions mod requests. - Page 321

Somebody posted the no-whitelist version of the Bios 2.07. The following post indicates that it looks like it is working with the 6300 (it does not say whether it worked with 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks): Remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions mod requests. - Page 322

---EDIT 2:

I just installed the Intel 6300 and I am not having any problem connecting to a 2.4 Ghz. I am on the 8.01 Bios version.

1. On 5th page somebody mentioned about the same issue and about unwhitelisted bios but the bios can be found on post no 207.

Or here: Y580_n6300wifi_whitelisted.zip (NOT TESTED!)

2. I used Bios from Your 1st EDIT. This is the original 2.07 Bios with whitelist removed, no other changes or function unlocked/added. I have tested it and so far no issues, so i recommended it. Link above or here: Lenovo IdeaPad Y480-Y580_5Dcn40ww__WL.zip

Anyway thank you for feedback. My issue was solved. Right now i can connect either 2,4GHz or 5GHz band network. So if anybody have similar issue... change BIOS, no offense svl7, your BIOS is great.

This has been discussed, and seeing that apparently going from bios v8.00 to v8.01 without updating the rest of the firmware causes issues, I can only recommend not doing it. We first need an official Lenovo bios update in order to actually update it. Until then it's better if you stay on your current version.

Agreed do not attempt to update from 8.00 to 8.01. It will cause major boot up problems. I did it on accident and had a really hard time recovering and re flashing v8.00 back.

Svl7 did you get my 8.00 bios dump? Would that be enough to unlock the bios and remove the white list? My wifi internet is driving me crazy lol.

Read through most pages, and I still have a question or two.

Is there a 2.06/07 BIOS with the 660M tweaks that the 8.01 BIOS has?

I'm currently on the 2.06 unlocked BIOS, and I've noticed lately that it takes at least 6 seconds or more for the laptop to get past the BIOS splash screen or load the BIOS menu. It used to be able to fly past it in 2 seconds or less. Is this a problem with the BIOS, or could it be a hardware issue?

Bios v8.00 added to the first post.

Bios v2.07 modified -> Lenovo Y580 / Y580 BIOS v2.07 - 'unlocked', no whitelist, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz.

Both mods contain wwan / wlan whitelist removal. I tweaked it a bit more, so users with a v2.06 mod who are experiencing issues with a 3rd party wwan / wlan card should switch to the new 2.07 mod once it's online, the issues should be fixed now.

Furthermore I added some tweaks to the 660m (1GHz) and the setup comes with unlocked menus.

If you flash it please report back to confirm that everything is working as expected, would be appreciated, thanks!

• Thumbs Up 5

I currently have a lenovo y580 with bios version 5DCN89WW (V8.00) I attempted the 8.00 bios flash and received the following error when attempting to flash the fixed bin bios file.

Error 246: Failed to read the entire file into memory. File: v800fix.bin

Well, now that's a weird error... cause you already managed to flash v8.01, right? Are you sure you followed all the steps exactly? Flashed from Dos? Your fixed file has the same size as your original?

Well, now that's a weird error... cause you already managed to flash v8.01, right? Are you sure you followed all the steps exactly? Flashed from Dos? Your fixed file has the same size as your original?

Yes same exact file size. Yes i was able to flash v801 before. I am going to try another USB stick. I am doing a full format to see if that helps. Also in the bios there is a setting for "BIOS Back Flash" do you think that has anything to do with it?

Nope, that setting doesn't have any influence on the flash method we're using. I really don't know what's going on... especially since it worked for you with the other mod, as I mentioned.

Nope, that setting doesn't have any influence on the flash method we're using. I really don't know what's going on... especially since it worked for you with the other mod, as I mentioned.

IT WORKED!!!! The problem was my USB stick. When I was applying the fix I noticed that it took a long time. Then i created another flash drive /usb stick with the format tool and applied the fix while the files were on my computer and not the usb stick. I copied everything back and it works! The white list fix works perfectly. I was able to install another Wi-Fi card that I had laying around and am typing this from my lenovo wirelessly. Thank you so much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bios v2.07 modified -> Lenovo Y580 / Y580 BIOS v2.07 - 'unlocked', no whitelist, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz.

Both mods contain wwan / wlan whitelist removal. I tweaked it a bit more, so users with a v2.06 mod who are experiencing issues with a 3rd party wwan / wlan card should switch to the new 2.07 mod once it's online, the issues should be fixed now.

Furthermore I added some tweaks to the 660m (1GHz) and the setup comes with unlocked menus.

If you flash it please report back to confirm that everything is working as expected, would be appreciated, thanks!

Modified 2.07 bios works perfectly. Currently using an Intel 6300 WiFi card with no issues.

I did have to modify that platform.ini file as I flashed from another modified 2.07 bios that was listed earlier in the thread.

After 1 day, all working great and stable! TYVM! :encouragement: