Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I expected something like that... The AW systems sometime have similar issues after downgrading with the USB recovery method and then trying to flash a bios.

The firmware image of the win8 bios of those systems have a different layout, I think that's what's causing the issue, also in this case.

Anyone else try it yet to see if you get the same results as me?

Was there ever a resolution for the AW systems? Just my curiosity getting the better of me, I have not dived into the inner workings of BIOS before. Probably because they have never gated me before.

This should work fine, provided it allows you to flash.

Grab this tool for flashing and download the attached archive. Extract the bios and the two batch files and put them in the same folder as the tool.

Then backup your bios (if you haven't done that already) by using the according .bat, and then try to flash with the other script.

5DCN90WW_mod_[TEST_01].zip

• Thumbs Up 1

In case this was missed and I will heartily take RTFM at this point, what features have been unlocked on the Y580 and what have been confirmed to work?

I am simply looking to enable the RAID function so I can make use of Intel RST. The software solutions out there are a tad wonky.

In case this was missed and I will heartily take RTFM at this point, what features have been unlocked on the Y580 and what have been confirmed to work?

I am simply looking to enable the RAID function so I can make use of Intel RST. The software solutions out there are a tad wonky.

RTFM then :P

I actually don't have pictures of ALL the available settings, I've only seen the pics which are in the link above, but I really think that what you're looking for should be available.

Here's a mod based on the 5DCN90WW v8.01 dump which you guys provided - WWAN / WLAN check removed, unlocked.

Flash with the included InsydeFlash utility. If it doesn't allow to flash, let me know.

Use at your own risk.

- removed -

Hey svl7...Any luck with removing the whitelist on this 8.01 BIOS? This crappy wifi card is killing me! Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Will donate to your beer fund for some help lol!

RTFM then :P

I actually don't have pictures of ALL the available settings, I've only seen the pics which are in the link above, but I really think that what you're looking for should be available.

Much obliged and gladly received, svl7. :D

Is there a readme somewhere with a list of the enabled vs listed features?

I see four downloads of my latest mod, but no one is telling me how it worked out... if you want my help, I need you to report back. There's no point in modifying anything if people just grab it and I never hear anything back.

Much obliged and gladly received, svl7. :D

Is there a readme somewhere with a list of the enabled vs listed features?

No, the pics is all I have.

slv7, any results with my Z580 BIS dump yet? Is the white-list check mechanism similar to the Y580?

Not yet, haven't had time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ran into an interesting issue, when I attempted to run a backup using the flasher you've provided a few posts ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5763[/ATTACH]

I get the same, wonder if one of the people who did rip the bios can apply it

I was able to dump the BIOS with svl7's utility!! The trick was to run the *.exe's in admin mode and unblock ALL files, this prevents Windows 8 seeing them as malicious files.

jovian, ShiftedView, I was not able to see clearly the error you get, but look at the post above, it might solve the problem.

Apparently to unblock the files, you can right-click on it and click on "Unblock File" according to this link: How to Unblock Files in Windows 8

Hope this can help.

Hi everyone,

I just got the Y580 yesterday with the 5DCN90WW BIOS installed. Will try the modded BIOS from svl7 as soon as I get a chance (this week-end probably). Just in case things go bad, do you have a link or a quick tutorial explaining the USB recovery method?

Thanks a lot for your work!

Y580 bought with pre-installed windows 7 got bios v2.0x

Y580 bought with pre-installed windows 8 got bios v8.0x

What about with Y580 bought without windows? Which version should I expect? Anybody bought Y580 without windows?

I follow this thread for few days and wonder if bios v8.01 is necessary to install windows 8? I'm asking because I've bought Y580 without pre-installed windows and I wonder what happen if i get Y580 with bios 2.06 and i will try to instal Win8? Do i have to upgrade to v8.01? If so where to get v8.01?

Ps. svl7 thanks for great job.

----

I don't see any reason why you would not be able to install Windows 8 with a BIOS from the 2.0x branch.

I read that some people had problem downgrading from 8.0x to 2.0x. No official BIOS 8.0x seems to be on the Lenovo web site for now, only the last 2.0x update is available.

Y580 bought with pre-installed windows 7 got bios v2.0x

Y580 bought with pre-installed windows 8 got bios v8.0x

What about with Y580 bought without windows? Which version should I expect? Anybody bought Y580 without windows?

I follow this thread for few days and wonder if bios v8.01 is necessary to install windows 8? I'm asking because I've bought Y580 without pre-installed windows and I wonder what happen if i get Y580 with bios 2.06 and i will try to instal Win8? Do i have to upgrade to v8.01? If so where to get v8.01?

Ps. svl7 thanks for great job.

Y580 without an OS will get the v2.0X bios I'm sure

You can install retail Win8 and any other OS you like

the v8.0X bios are for Y580 win8 oem only.

This should work fine, provided it allows you to flash.

Grab this tool for flashing and download the attached archive. Extract the bios and the two batch files and put them in the same folder as the tool.

Then backup your bios (if you haven't done that already) by using the according .bat, and then try to flash with the other script.

I was having trouble running this earlier today. I moved the batch files and bios into the folder of the flashing utility. I ran as administrator on the backup batch file, I edited the utility properties to run as administrator. I tried navigating to the batch file manually in an admin command prompt. I put a pause line at the end so I could see what was happening. Everything I do is either can't recognize the command or claims I'm not running as an administrator. I read both the read me files and the forum thread the flash utility read me file linked. Wow, I can't believe I can't get something so simple to work. Just a damn batch file lol.

I was able to run the flash; see post #146, you have to run files as administrator and unblock. Unfortunately, I received an error, but differ from the others since svl7 edit my BIOS dump:

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.

I was able to run the flash; see post #146, you have to run files as administrator and unblock. Unfortunately, I received an error, but differ from the others since svl7 edit my BIOS dump:

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.

I might be able to help you, but I would need to have access to your system for this. Send me a PM if you're interested.